PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Ground Exams??

wbryce
10th Nov 2003, 20:32
Just want to know a few things about the 14 exams, ive picked up a few pointers off this website already (that Air Law is a bitch!) :)

Can anyone tell me what these exams are like? are they hard? do you feel that there quite easy to take in?

Is there any websites that has ground studies material on it?

And how much studying per night would you recommend to anyone whos doing an ab initio course with around 800hrs teaching in the class room?

YYZ
10th Nov 2003, 22:22
Have a look at www.bristol.gs for some Student-to-Student chat, which should give you some ideas.
If you have a very good memory you might find the exams easier than some but the general feeling is that they are hard.
A bit more difficult than the GCSE/A level etc, you will have to study for these.

As for how many hours too put in, that is down to the individual.

I’m only just starting to study these exams; I think they are difficult but not impossible.

The ground school you opt for will give you all the details you need, or you can call into a flying school and chat to an instructor im sure they will be more than happy to help.

FlyingForFun
11th Nov 2003, 03:15
WB,

YYZ has hit the spot when he says "if you have a very good memory you might find the exams easier." The fact is that none of the material you will cover is difficult - the only thing which is difficult is the sheer volume of the material. Although some of the subjects contain theories and principals that can be learnt and understood, many of the subjects can't be learnt beyond just commiting them to memory (especially Air Law, which is the main reason why so many people hate this exams so much). So, if you're like me - good analytical brain but terrible memory - you will find them very tough.

Can't help with how much work you'll need to put in each evening, since the distance learning course I did can't really be compared to 800 hours in the classroom.

Good luck!

FFF
---------------

parris50
12th Nov 2003, 05:40
I agree with the others that it's the amount of information you are required to remember that makes then troublesome.

For some subjects, you have to fill your head with information that you ae unlikely to have to use. My favourite example is the titles of the 18 annexes to the Chicago Convention. You can be asked what annexe X is in the exam. In real life, you would just look it up!

Also don't think they are easy because they are multi choice. Often it's a fine line between two possible answers and you will get no credit for picking the second best. There is often the issue of ambiguous questions to deal with.

Although a good memory helps a lot, I think it's best to make sure you understand the underlying principles so that if a weird question comes up, you can make a good stab at it.