PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phones - GSM Digital or CDMA

HotPete
10th Nov 2003, 19:10
In the good old days of analog phones, I could ring the fuel agent or ground transport from the aircraft and have them on the way out to the field to meet me as I arrived.

Then GSM Digital replaced analog and it only works maybe 50% of the time.

I'm wondering about changing to CDMA. Comments please. Does it work better IN THE AIRCRAFT? I know it has longer range on the ground.

compressor stall
10th Nov 2003, 19:30
CDMA - certainly better coverage in out of the way places. I think most communties up north are getting them too. very useful.

As for the aircraft coverage....cannot say for sure as i use the satphone when I need to, but the other day when I accidently left it on it certainly had coverage at FL240 80nm from the nearest town.

OpsNormal
11th Nov 2003, 04:50
... but the other day when I accidently left it on it certainly had coverage at FL240 80nm from the nearest town...

*sniff* ;)

jib
11th Nov 2003, 09:17
CDMA is the way to go. Works well at altitude and you can even get patch leads now that connect to your headset.
Cheers
jib

snarek
11th Nov 2003, 11:02
Telstra CDMA

GSM causes interference where CDMA won't. Unless you put it near the antenna or the unit, CDMA won't stuff up any NAVAIDS.

GSM is also 'cell limited' to 34 km. This is because of timing requirements. If CDMA can see the base, it will work :)

AK

criticalmass
11th Nov 2003, 18:35
Fully agree with the CDMA opinions offered, the GSM system is not able to perform as well at extended ranges as CDMA and the interference with electronics equipment with GSM is a real issue.

FWIW, I had 3 GSM mobiles and retired them all as soon as I went CDMA. Hell will freeze over before I will recommend GSM to anyone.

I'm with Telstra CDMA, by the way. Coverage excellent, although a bit thin over the Nullarbor at ground-level.

OpsNormal
11th Nov 2003, 19:19
I've only just driven the 2900-odd km from Alice Springs to Sydney, and had CDMA coverage for 90% of the trip after Port Augusta, but not a lot beforehand.

Hope it helps.

dogcharlietree
12th Nov 2003, 11:02
Coverage excellent, although a bit thin over the Nullarbor at ground-level.
Ah yes.....but at 40,000ft real good ;)

Transition Layer
12th Nov 2003, 17:43
With Telstra GSM, I used to be able to send and receive text messages almost the entire way whilst enroute from Broome-Halls Creek at A095. Would have Broome out to about 40nm, then pick up Derby off track to the left, then it would drop out a little bit before picking up Fitzroy Xing. Between Fitzroy and Halls Creek (130 odd nm from memory) coverage was very nearly constant.

Was quite handy when giving the boys at home at accurate ETA for beer time!

TL

John Eacott
13th Nov 2003, 05:16
HotPete,

Straight answer, Yes! I have three aircraft with CDMA in car kits fitted, patched through the intercom system to transmit as a radio selection. No avionics interference (unlike GSM), excellent coverage (Telstra) and better quality than GSM. For internet connections, CDMA also has a higher baud rate than GSM, inherent in its construction. The average cell range of a GSM (IIRC) is about 10-12km, against CDMA range of 120km+.