PDA

View Full Version : Info about the Danish controllers in South Africa??Why did some leave??

jack4577
10th Nov 2003, 00:29
Anyone out there with information about the Danish controllers who were contracted to ATNS and left after a short time????

mercman
10th Nov 2003, 03:00
Hi there I am a pilot flying for a company in Johannesburg and the Danish controllers are still here I spoke to one the other day on the radio so mybe that is just a rumour going around

10th Nov 2003, 04:20
11 Danes started out at ATNS and after 2 months there were only 7 left! I am not with ATNS and dont excactly know why they left but I am interested as hell to find out. Apparently they were supposed to send 4 replacements down from Denmark....all at ATNS's cost!! Can that be ....??????????

B Sousa
10th Nov 2003, 08:50
What happened to the Affirmitive Action?? Make some nervous on final to that 100' 1/4 mi Vis??

CEP
10th Nov 2003, 13:53
Greetings

One of the Danish ladies woke up one morning and decided that she didn't want to lock her car anymore - or something like that.

Jokes aside, one of the Danish couples that were here had a serious concern about security :suspect: and decided to leave. They were very good friends with the other Danish couple, and apparently talked them into leaving as well. Welcome to Africa?? Saudi Arabia?? Bali?? NY ?? etc, etc

That's the reason they gave, whether there were other reasons only they would be able to tell.

B Sousa - with regards to AA :mad: don't worry about it. Us current ATC's will weed out the useless, hopeless, brainless, etc, as well as those who think that this is just another sheltered employment agency. And that's irrespective of creed or colour. I will have a green martian with pink spots working next to me if I think he's up to it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending AA at all, all i'm saying is that only the good students will get signed out by us. I won't have someone sitting next to me who I don't trust.

So relax slightly, but keep that TCAS warm.

Cheers

Gunship
10th Nov 2003, 14:36
May I ask what are they doing in SA ? Does SA not have enough ATC's ?

My son applied (pressume ATNS) and walked into dead walls .. called affirmative action.

Anybody got any contacts where he can apply to the "correct desk" at least ? :E

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Nov 2003, 01:42
Until you're told to sign them out regardless of ability. It's happened before, it'll happen again. *sigh*:yuk:

B Sousa
11th Nov 2003, 07:03
CEP Writes:"Us current ATC's will weed out the useless, hopeless, brainless, etc, as well as those who think that this is just another sheltered employment agency."

That sounds good for a while, but pretty soon you too will start leaving, Age, Better Jobs etc. As the Song goes "Its just a matter of time."

Rhodie
11th Nov 2003, 20:34
Approaching GC from the north couple of weeks back - called 8 miles out for joining and landing and got the info from the kind (AA) lady in the tower.

At 5 miles was told to join overhead the field.

Me: "confirm join overhead...?" :confused:
ATC: "Join overhead..."

Next call, Me: "....... overhead......"
ATC: "current status and are you able to land safely"

Me: "?????????????????????" :confused:

Turns out someone, somewhere had called brake / hydraulic failure and I got the call-back.

Sorted out and joined normally - never DID hear the first call or any subsequent from no-brakes - so wonder where he went.......

;)

CEP
13th Nov 2003, 12:47
Greetings

Gunship

Yes, that has been a problem in the past, but you will find things are a changin' ! The AA candidates (or a lot of them at least) have not been making their initial ATC courses - 15 have been thrown off their courses in the last two weeks. I would get your son to apply again- I may be able to help there- I think you will find the mindset of our glorious leaders next to the R24 is changing quite rapidly.

B Sousa/Gunship

as to the question of numbers- we are getting there slowly but surely.
Our company is busy with the installation of an automated ATC system, so although the foreigners are taking a bit of the pressure off, the main reason that they were hired is to be able to release us off position when we need to be trained on the new equipment.

You might find a few more guys leaving in the future, but the majority of them will be crossing over to the darker side (they want to fly aeroplanes for a living). Otherwise, I personally feel that the ATC drain has stopped for the moment (bar one or two) - things are a bit better than they were in the past, although still not perfect. And it's also not that rosy now with the R/$ rate.

Behave yourselves :E

EltorroLoco
14th Nov 2003, 03:07
Methinx CEP is correct about the original GR8 Danes being worried about security, but I would have thought they would have done some research B4 they came here. It appears ATNS may have fed them a little Bull!@#t, now there's a surprise, it's a delicacy here in Bonaero Park.

As for the rest, it seems that ATNS cares much more about out foreign cousins that the locals. The dress code suddenly changed after they arrived in shorts so that the local slaves were allowed to wear shorts too! - Gee thanx! (Haven't seen them walk on water tho...)

Some have been sent to the FAJS Central pool which is so overstaffed that they have 4 standbys on one day at times, while the rest of the pools struggle to get 1 with max 7 days off. Gee thanx Denmark, for letting us be a holiday destination. Even bigger thanx to ATNS for letting them! (I'm being sarcastic, for those @ HQ who read this...)

As for the installation of the automated system, I've seen it, I've heard of it, but I ain't been trained on it and neither have me fellow inmates. It's not difficult 2 do the maths as to when this will B operational.:sad:

Anyhow, it beats haveing a real job, and the doings & screwings R better than the soapies, and u can't believe everything u hear (or read for that matter)...

14th Nov 2003, 13:57
Hey Loco dude
Is JNB central the same as Bloemfontein?
It must have really gotten busy on that sector that they need so much staff! Nearly like Cape Town! (pulling your leg Goldfish)
Dont they trust the Danes to work the other sectors like Jnb-N and S? Have these guys made such a bad impression? They are only there on 18 month contracts and times a wasting.
Had a good laugh at the dress code story:}