PDA

View Full Version : Thyroid Gland: Thyriotoxicosis and Beta Blockers

Re-Heat
9th Nov 2003, 22:27
Dear All,

I have an over-active thyroid gland, which was causing a heartbeat of 145 bpm, and an approximate BP of 160/60 - with medication of propranolol 40mg, and carbimazole 20mg, I am in an alleviation of the symtoms and decrase in thyroxin produced. I was yesterday diagnosed with thyriotoxicosis (an excess of circulating free thyroxine and free triiodothyronine, or both), caused by excess secretion of thyroid stimulating hormone (Pituitary adenoma; Pituitary resistance to thyroxine and triiodothyronine).

Proprananol is however a beta-blocker, and I am concerned that it will affect a future Class 1 issue. Obviously my Class 2 will be suspended when I speak to the CAA on Monday, and I would at least not expect resumption of this until the situation is stabilised.

I am extremely concerned however that the beta-blokers would not constitute what Desk Pilot has described as a change of the natural materials in the body, as is the case with under-active thyroid glangs, where thyroxin is replaced with tablets - the drugs are preventing the production of the hormone instead, not replacing what is not there.

Furthermore, one symptom of the condition is cordiomyopathy (the thickening of the heart muscles), however I do not believe that any indication of this was on the ECG - it is a specific influence on the issue of a medical licence however, on the CAA website.

Luckily I am only one of 0.2% of the male population (2% of the female population) who have the condition.

Bearing in mind that I am yet to see the endocrinologist - obviously the condition is not yet stabilised, nor finally diagnosed - does anyone have any further information on medical issue, or how to treat to comply with CAA rulings?

Many regards,
Alex

I am not trying to self-diagnos, nor am I overly worrying myself when I should be getting better, but just would like to know where I stand.

Flyin'Dutch'
10th Nov 2003, 14:45
RH,

The propranolol is only to treat the effects of the overdose of thyroid hormone you are experiencing at the moment.

AFAIK it is in itself not a drug which precludes flying as it is used by many to control their bloodpressure.

Not sure what your concerns are about the 'change of the natural materials in the body'

The problem needs to be dealt with by medication in the first instance and if persists by surgery or radioactive Iodine. Both have their different merits.

Cardiomyopathy is a complication which can be seen if the thyrotoxicosis (or hyperthyroid state) persists for a longer period of time and that would have shown on the ECG.

Good luck in getting this sorted out.

FD

PS: On the whole it is probably advisable not to sign postings on here with your own name and address.

Re-Heat
10th Nov 2003, 16:27
Thank you for the advice

I have just spoken to the CAA, who were extremely helpful, and were certainly giving the impression that I would be able to resume flying on Class 2, and obtain a Class 1, once the condition is under control - since only the carbimazole will be used once the condition has been stabilised, propranolol will not be an issue - I agree that it is the condition not the drug itself that is the problem!

Regards,
Alex