PDA

View Full Version : Indian Airlines / Air India

SmoothCriminal
9th Nov 2003, 13:55
Hello,

I have emailed both these airlines requesting for contact info to send the flight crew resume.

Either no answer or the email comes back !!

How are they going for the recruiting, anything in the near future !!

Any chance for a Indian national with a Aus CPL / Multi IR with 1600 hrs ?!?!
Well, this ofcourse needs a conversion to get a DGCA one, which sources tell me can be done in two weeks with some help from known people !! in the industry.

Any help, much appreciated.

Smoothie:ok: :ok:

AI1
9th Nov 2003, 17:14
hai,
am not an expert,but as far as i know they recruit by placing ads in 'Employment News'- a weekly paper listing the latest oppurtunities in government and other such organisations. not aware of any other means of recruitment. a cousin of mine is a pilot and he is waiting for the next round of ads. better contact someone in india involved in this field to know more.(said ur an indian national. maybe can ask some relatives back there to help u.)
besides the conversion u should also have a current medical from either Institute of Aerospace medicine Bangalore or Central Airforce Medical Establishment New delhi.

REFER TO WWW.DGCA.NIC.IN dedicated website for further details. if memory is right, they have the related rules in pdf/word format.

AI1

SmoothCriminal
9th Nov 2003, 20:51
Thanks a lot AI1, Very much appreciated.

Have written to a few friends to spy on the matter.

Jet Airways have replied very friendly and have said they shall consider for an interview if i convert the licence first.

Cheers :ok: :ok:
Smoothie..........................

GoanPilot
10th Nov 2003, 01:17
Smooth Criminal,

2 weeks !! That sounds too good to be true. Besides written exam conversions take a while. Just read that AI is planning to buy 10 long haul (A340) and 18 short haul (B737-800) aircraft. Refer to their website www.airindia.com

I have just completed my CPL/Multi IFR and Instructor's rating in Canada. Hoping to build some time here before i come to India for License conversions.

I have 250hrs TT/35 hrs Multi with 110hrs PIC. I know the Indian CPL requires 150hrs PIC. Is it better to fly the extra 40hrs here ?

Appreciate the replies.

Smooth Criminal Check your PM.

masalama
10th Nov 2003, 18:37
2 weeks???? wOW, i DUNNO who told you this but it took me six months to get an Indian CPL converted from an FAA cpl a few years ago...as someone wrote earlier, the requirements are all published on the DGCA website but if my memory serves me right...u need
1.Pass Conversion exams, similar to the australian writtens(NAv,regs,met,flight planning,radio aids and instruments) ..there are a couple of good coaching classes in delhi..the guy I did it from is the most famous , a KC Duggal ...
2.Have an Indian RTR , either converted from british or canadian RT, not sure about Australian RT, if there is one....otherwise will have to pass the indian which is not a pleasant experience.....trust me.
3.pass 10+2 in the science stream.
4.medical from AFCME , initial one takes a couple of days pretty thorough and no shortcuts...
5.Skill test once everything passed on aircraft registered in INdia.
6.Multi endorsement on your aussie license has to be of an aircraft already registered in INdia, like a PA-34, duchess, baron etc....

As you can see, the paperwork itself can take two weeks after submission to DGCA at the end of all this, must admit though DGCA is getting better over the years in terms of helping you out with problems with the paperwork or replying to questions....
that's about it and besst of luck with the conversion.

GoanPilot
11th Nov 2003, 00:32
Hello Masalama,

Can you help me out with some info pls

1. I have a Canadian RT- is it possible to convert this into an Indian one without too much hassle ?

2. Presently have a Multi/Multi IFR which i did on the Piper Seminole- PA 44- is this accepted in India ?

3. what documents do i need from here for the conversion, also at the moment i have 110 hrs PIC- should i fly another 40hrs for the 150 PIC.

Thanks very much

NC

masalama
11th Nov 2003, 05:13
I think you should contact the DGCA or get someone in delhi to find out specifically b'cos rules do keep changing , surprisingly!!!Anyway, as far as I can remember ...
1.Canadian R/T is fine ...should be no hassle I think it's Sanchar bhavan in delhi that you'll have to go to for the conversion...

2.U'r multi engine training and checkride has to be on A/C that is registered in India and sadly , a seminole isn't...what would I do...I'd do the multi engine training and checkride again on a senaca,baron,duchess or other aircraft that's on the register and I'm not joking when I say this...b'cos there's no other way to get the multi converted plus there's a multitude of other requirements for the multi training and checkride which I have only seen is in India and if you don't follow the rules carefully, you can pretty much forget about the rating.Can U just do the checride again on a senaca without having to go through the training again, I don't know, check with DGCA.

3.Get every piece of concievable document u can think of if possible, u may need to submit on request, logbook pages stamped, course materials, instructor and examiner qualifications and certificates, flying school authorization from Canadian dgca,
graduation from the course certificates and so on...there might be references to this at the DGCA website, I'd suggest you to study that website like a hawk before you go for the conversion....heavy stuff but will probably save you a lot of time and money.

4.I don't know the PIC requirements but if that's what they want you'll have to do the 150 hrs PIC, and flying it in canada would be the quicker and cheaper option...

Hope all this helps , but like I said don't take my word only for it, do your own research, get friends or family to go the DGCA and investigate, find out from people who've converted recently about the latest requirements....finally, hang in there, it's gonna be frustrating but eventually you should get it converted with a bit of perseverance...

GoanPilot
12th Nov 2003, 12:48
Thanks Masalama,

Appreciate the time you took to write all that info.

I am going to make sure that i have all that ducumentation with me before i come down.
It's going to be hard to ask the instructor's and the school for copies of their licenses, but will try.

All the best to you

Regards
NC

aerogull
15th Nov 2003, 08:08
Hello Goan!

To answer your question about building your time in Canada, I think it would be a wise decision. PIC time is extremely valuable and if you can get to instruct on a twin thats even better (although you might have to put some time under your belt before you get into the world of multi-ifr instruction). I am currently sitting at 1800 hours TT with about 450 hours Multi Engine and a Canadian ATPL and have no regrets! I hope to convert to the Indian equivalent sometime next year.

All the best

Aero

Pushpak
15th Nov 2003, 23:33
Good luck to all who are trying to convert to the Indian Licence.. Dealing with DGCA will be an experince which you never get any where in the world even if you have thousands in the log book....... Give your self at least 6months min.......... unless you know someone??
Good luck

SmoothCriminal
20th Nov 2003, 11:14
Hello ha,

"Indian Airlines is going to come up with an
advertisement end of this month. They will be
taking in, close to 90 pilots.

- Approx 30 with min. 500 hrs jet exp. ( Sr. Trainee
Pilots)

- Approx 30 with A-320 Endorsement ( There are around

30 Guys who have paid money to get their A-320 End.
from CTE Hyderabad, Indian Airlines.)
They paid around Rs.23,00,000/- for the endorsement.

- rest general , SC & ST , but with Indian CPL and
min.
15hrs Multi."

I dunno how authentic this informtion is.....but received it through a indian pilots assoc., member !!

If everyone wants jet experience where the heck are we supposed to get it ?

Maybe win a lottery and buy a Lear and fly around until the money runs out and then apply, oh hang on...better save a little bit of money for that dreadful conversion that could take anywhere between 1 to 6 months.

Or the easier option could be change ourself to an SC or ST title, if not one yet.

Happy Smoothie..........Grrrrrrrrr
:p :cool: :p :cool:

Skyking
22nd Nov 2003, 16:11
HI , u are correct about the IA recruitment , but from what I hear ..its only 30 STP and 30 A320 endorsed....the remaining 30 which includes the sc/st/obc reservation along with the 5% IGRUA reservation is due out when required not before. AI just recruited 30 sc/st/obc ..... and about 12 from IGRUA campus .

SK

aerogull
23rd Nov 2003, 09:35
What a dissapointing situation. I never thought that a government airline would demand that its employees (i.e. pilots) pay for their jobs! Then again, maybe I am naive to assume that the Indian government is beyond the influence of corruption and its consequences.

I am very curious as to what qualifications the pilots who have paid 23 lakhs for an A320 type rating have. Are they 250 hour CPL wonders or do most of them have significant flight experience?

Pilots who have worked hard to build their experience and who do not have the ability to pay, or rather "buy" a job , are really going to feel the brunt of this. What a shame that a country that produces some of the best brains in the world at the same time supports an industry driven not by talent but rather by money.

SmoothCriminal
25th Nov 2003, 01:20
Hi Aerogull and friends,

Yeah....it is disturbing and rather disgusting !!

Friendly Aviators...please tell me one thing....

Why does IA and IA need RTR !!?!?! And "not" the rest of the private org's!!, say for example Jet or Sahara. I guess I've got this right...please correct me If I'm wrong, then I shall apologise for the whole following sulk!!

Is it the excuse spreadsheet they use to keep the applicants limited and can employ ministers uncles second daughters son or maybe they want to put the foreign trained and flown and earned the real hour returns to go through the "REAL" training (The British Left It And We Perfected It) ?

Well........I shall think of one thing......Any hard earned hour pilot who has been in the bush world flying stick and rudder and after that twin engine procedural flying in the way it should be, wouldn't have a frigin' clue on answering;
- How does a tube light work
- Draw me a schematic of a ceiling fan
- Draw me a schematic of a VHF ( What Tha !! - I know how to operate a modern VHF thingy and if it doesn't work I know how to get the thing on the ground in safety, Are we expected to screw the thing out and fix it rather than fly the aeroplane)
- Tell me all the Q codes that exist in the world during WWII and their explanation (Crickey....let's start watching history channel)
- Morse @ 8 word a min...was it?!?! ( Who cares...it's depicted on the approach chart (Jepps,Daps and the others should aswell, and you're supposed to cross check it anyway)
- Which airline are you gonna fly for ( Hmmmmm,,,are you the recruiter.,.,. well hell .,.,. let me know if you were)
And...it shall go on

Bottom line is....the RTR guys can fail you if they want to !! A slip in the system...a rather BIG ONE. Nothing a stamp paper could fix for the past eigh years they say,,,,,,,whoops.

I have been there at an RTR and like one for our friends said in his replies it's NOT a pleasant exam (if you wanna call it that) at all !! Funnily enough I passed !! So, not that I'm taking a grudge because I failed.

Ah well..,.,.,. that's my 5 cents worth suck and winge.
Anyways, me on the way to give it a go to convert my mere ifall 1600 hr MultiIR ICAOcommercial to a wonderland DGCA one. We never know....shall end up in a 340 with AI one day......persistance, the only way to go in Aviation.

Hope I'm not takin' it too hard on the subject. Maybe I am
:ugh: :ugh:

Smoother As Ever..........:ok: :ok:

Pushpak
25th Nov 2003, 16:45
system sucks...... hope only hope if someday things change R.T.R,
W.T we still in stone age.
AI, IA and D.G.C.A needs big time help, guys there dont even know what real aviation is all about , instead of promoting avaition, they doing their best to kill it.
God bless