PDA

View Full Version : The best pilot sunglasses

fullforward
9th Nov 2003, 08:55
Is there any source were we could see some comparison tests etc on this subject? I would like to see scientific, unbiased data.

Cheers

Hawk
11th Nov 2003, 05:49
Taking a bit of edit license here and posting Moderator Bad Medicine's reply to an earlier thread.
"Sunglasses are a topic dear to the heart of aviators. There are a number of factors which determine the suitability or otherwise of sunglasses for use in the aviation role.

Narrow frames that carry large lenses are the most desirable from a field of view standpoint. The most critical problem with frames arises from the presence of wide sidearms which can significantly impair the peripheral visual field.

Lenses should not be too dark, and should transmit at least 15% of incident light. The tint used should be "neutral density"
(N.D.), that is, a greyish tint that does not distort colour perception. Much has been written about the perceived benefits of various coloured lenses, especially in regard to contrast and perceived brightness. Coloured lenses have been shown to reduce the colour information received, and to have a detrimental effect on both perception and reaction time.

Lenses of polycarbonate material are preferred because of their impact-resistance and ability to absorb ultra-violet and infra-red rays. However, these lenses can scratch easily. Harder materials may be suitable, however these may be more prone to shattering in an impact.

Different jurisdictions and countries have standards to which sunglasses are manufactured. Sunglasses should be chosen which conform to the appropriate standard. For example, the current Australian Standard ensures that sunglasses meet acceptable standards for lens quality, frame strength and lens retention and also ensures that sunglasses provide adequate protection from solar radiation.

Polarising sunglasses should not be used when flying. The polarising filter interacts with the cockpit transparency to produce a distorted and degraded visual image. This effect can also be seen with laminated car windscreens. Better keep the polarised lenses for fishing.

Pilots who wear prescription spectacles can choose from a number
of options for glare protection. Prescription sunglasses with N.D.15 lenses can be obtained, or N.D.15 clip-on or flip-up sunglasses may be worn over prescription spectacles.

Back to the original issue of photochromatic lenses. Photochromatic lenses have several disadvantages that render them unsuitable for use by pilots.

Firstly, their transition times are relatively slow. Photochromatic lenses take about five minutes to increase their density to the level of sunglasses, but more importantly, the bleaching time from maximum to minimum density can be as long as 30 minutes. Although there is a rapid lightening of the lens in the first five minutes, this may be too long when there is a sudden variation in light during a descent into or under cloud, or because of a rapid change in cloud cover.

Their second disadvantage is that, even when fully bleached, photochromic lenses still absorb slightly more light than untinted lenses. Since vision is critically dependent on ambient light levels, even this small decrease of light reaching the eye through photochromatic lenses is undesirable, especially at night or in low light levels. The inherent degradation of these lenses with time causes them to progressively become darker, as they become unable to reach the fully bleached state. This effectively prohibits their use in flying or controlling air traffic.

I hope that "sheds some light" on the subject.

Cheers,

BM"

Bad medicine
11th Nov 2003, 08:16
Thanks Hawk,

I was just getting to that. Not much scientific evidence unfortunately, but the principles are pretty well established.

Cheers,

BM

cortilla
11th Nov 2003, 08:55
personally i swear by oakley minutes. i know not very scientific, but just shedding my two pence worth. Reduces the glare to an absolute minimum, yet still let more than enough light through. I find they are especially good when the sun is very low on the horizon. Use them for flying all the time even when there is minimal sunlight they help me see better and spot many features (when flying vfr) that i couldn't possibly see when i lift them up. (except when there is no sun). I even use them when driving. Oh and they look good too:O

Hawk
11th Nov 2003, 09:54
OK Bad Med..I jumped in as I thought you might be vroom..vrooming around the countryside in your little helicopter.:ok:

Onan the Clumsy
11th Nov 2003, 11:21
Unscientific, but I love my Serrengettis. Comfortable, good depth perception and something to do with the blue end of the spectrum that I've forgotten.

Just one thing though, don't wear them and then stick your head out of the window of a 182 - at least, if you do...don't turn and look behind you :(

BlueEagle
12th Nov 2003, 06:56
Another good thing about Serengeti's is that they don't distort the colours of the various displays in a Glass cockpit aircraft.

Backwater
12th Nov 2003, 10:56
My latest pair of Serengettis have a titanium frame and are darker at the top than the bottom of the lens. Ideal in the Airbus. But I've been thru a few pairs as the frames are a bit on the light side - easily crushed (even with the most careful handling).

PPRuNe Towers
15th Nov 2003, 02:19
Used Serengetti's for ten years now. I'm in the enviable position of being able to try them all.

Strip flying, gliding and flying a glass cockpit with HUD - I stick with them after trialling all the others in the aircraft for extended periods.

That said - we all know many reading will be more interested in fashion:{ :{ :{

Regards
Rob

Anchorman
15th Nov 2003, 02:31
For fifteen years I have sworn by Oakleys, who have consistently had a clear lead in lens quality and UV A/B and IR cancellation scales. I lost my last pair sailing in an almightly wipe-out on a 14 foot skiff, and found my new pair at Sunglass Hut at Denver. They are by Maui, model MJ408-02, fully polarized with a polycarbonate frame that I can bend inside out and sit on in the cockpit without worry of damage. Whatsmore, they fit incredibly well under the earcups of the headset, being flexible, and the vision change from panel to the real world is painless due to the correct tinting (for my eyes anyhow). If it hadn't been for a delayed flight I would have stuck to Oakleys (which I still wear when sailing and skiing due to the close face fit)

Hope it helps

:ok:

777AV8R
15th Nov 2003, 22:57
I swear by my Serengetti glasses as well. Mine are expensive corrective lenses. The tinting is excellent and cuts the UV haze and are a real 'plus' when flying approaches down to minimums.

Polarised lenses do not work in Boeing airplanes as the windshields are polarised. The combination of polarised lenses and the windows creates 'black spots'.

Silver Tongued Cavalier
16th Nov 2003, 03:57
Serengetti's with the Drivers gradient lense are brilliant on EFIS aircraft.

I've got the Lassen frames which have a wrap around shape which prevents light entering in at the sides, unlike the flatter Aviator frames which were designed to be worn with helmets.

Got them off the internet for $115, best buy I've ever made!

fullforward
17th Nov 2003, 19:53
I stick on my big, blueish Revo. Very expensive, but for what I am concerned, the best lenses available. Lost the first pair, found the same in Verona for E170, it was a steal of USD 275 at Sunglass Hut in Miami, some months ago.
Anyway, a hard to find item.

Stop Stop Stop
7th Dec 2003, 21:20
If I may add my 'two penn'orth' to this now unscientific debate, I have to agree with several of the previous posters regarding Serengeti Eyeware.

As a previously 'died in the wool' Ray Ban user, I was given the opportunity to try a pair of Serengeti Lassen sunglasses belonging to a colleague, and I was hooked. I now own a pair of Serengeti Velocity Titanium glasses, with Drivers Gradient lenses. These are photochromic (go lighter and darker with less or more light), graduated so that the bottom portion is lighter...excellent for glancing at the instruments, wrap around so avoiding light leakage at the side (a problem with my Ray Ban Aviators) and coated with a filter which removes the nasty part of the light spectrum that causes damage.

Since using these glasses I have been really impressed with them and find myself squinting less at altitude above cloud and it is so much easier to read the EFIS screens. Colleagues of mine have tried them and bought some (I wish I had shares!).

They come with a beefy case which can withstand most of what hits it at the bottom of my bag. The downside is that they aren't cheap (RRP £170 ish) but try them out in a High Street chain store like Sunglass Hut and then buy them online for big savings (particularly from the States). I bought mine from E Bay. Ultimately, what price do you put on your eyesight? These are good enough to be NASA's official sunglasses of choice, for astronauts.

Have a look:

http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/drivers_gradient/drivers_gradient_1.htm

gingernut
11th Dec 2003, 23:29
Fullforward, didn't I read somewhere that choice of suglasses, is like choice of dog food.....quality isn't actually related to price.

I'm no expert, but I've got good vision and a fat dog.

Is their any science behind the choice of sunspecs?

newflyer
29th Sep 2004, 15:28
Stop Stop Stop - thanks for the advice will ditch Ray-Ban and have just ordered a new pair of Serengeti Lassens! Will post my verdict in a couple of days. At least there is always plenty of sunshine here in the "sunshine" state!

Update - the Serengeti's work very well in the aircraft, all instruments remain very clear and the harmful rays appear to be blocked out nicely. Out of the 'office' the tint does not seem dark enough for the Florida sunshine. (This may be due to being used to much darker Oakleys - which are not a lot of use in the aircraft!) The build quility is excellent and the storage case is very smart and offers a great deal of protection. I would definitely recomment the Seregeti's for flying.

AlphaCharlie
29th Mar 2005, 13:42
Lots of people have been posting on this and many other sunglasses discussions that Serengetis are an excellent brand for the cockpit. However, I am struggling to find a shop in the UK that stocks them. Like suggested, I shall probably buy them over the net from the states to save a few pounds but would prefer to try on a few pairs before shelling out for a pair.

Does anyone know of anywhere that stocks them on the UK high street?

sparks-flying
29th Mar 2005, 15:08
Sunglass hut found at most UK airports stock Sereneti glasses.

Hope you locate some

SF

AlphaCharlie
29th Mar 2005, 18:49
Really? I was in a Sunglasses Hut the other day and was told that the UK stores no longer stocked them. You know of anywhere else? Guessing a trip to Central London is on the cards to find somewhere.

sparks-flying
29th Mar 2005, 19:29
I definately saw a selection of Serengeti sunglasses in Sunglass hut in Glasgow Airport no more than 10 days ago, but not anywhere else!
SF

CosmosSchwartz
29th Mar 2005, 21:20
Private Pilot magazine from Sep 2003 did an independant study to find the best sunglasses based on various tests showing prismatic power, refractive power, definition etc. Oakleys came out well in front, Serengeti were 7th.

I can't remember the web link but I do have a copy of the .pdf file if anyone can make sense of it. It's light reading for an optician but mostly gibberish to me;)

soggyboxers
30th Mar 2005, 07:03
The supposedly bulletproof lenses on my Oakleys broke twice (once just from being hit by my car door when I closed it. I changed to Serengetis in February and find them the best sunglasses I've tried in 40 years. I bought them in Sunglass Hut and then wore them for extended periods every day when I was ferrying a helicopter from Europe to Nigeria. I found them very comfortable and can thoroughly recommend them. I also had a pair of Vuarnet's (bought in France) for many years and found them very good.

Farrell
30th Mar 2005, 23:55
Serengeti are the BUSINESS! bought oakley a-wires before i came out to florida for ppl..........someone loaned me their Serengetis for a flight and i was straight down to the mall!

120 dollars! - very restful on the eye, colour true and traffic is easier to spot!

Gillespie
31st Mar 2005, 07:12
Hello,

I'm looking to buy myself a new of sunglasses for the cockpit. It's a great coincidence that this topic is current. So far I've been looking at the Classic Aviators from Ray-Ban. Someone earlier has already advised against Ray-ban, why is this so?

I've looked at Serengeti's and they look great, but at the moment I can only really afford £100 tops.

Kerosene Kraut
31st Mar 2005, 07:28
Why not try those cheaper USAF-Sunglasses if you don't mind looking a bit topgunish?

http://www.armynavysales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=01&Product_Code=CA162&Category_Code=SUN

just $ 40

-bayonet temples (will fit under heavy headsets)
-grey lenses (for true colours)
-heavy duty metal frame (but slightly heavy to wear)

found them in the UK too:

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/search.by_supplier.html/use.id.6.item_id.162/

Hairyplane
1st Apr 2005, 12:30
I bought mine at The London Airshow last year. I think I paid seventy pounds for them.

HP

Piltdown Man
4th Apr 2005, 10:41
Serengetti Drivers were the best glasses I've ever used. The gradient lens allowed a takeoff into sun and then once into a positive climb go staight onto the clocks (well EFIS). Unfortunately, I left them on the plane one day and nows there's a Ginger with a nice pair of...

Where can you get Serengetti Drivers at a resaonable price?

Carrier
6th Jul 2005, 06:47
This issue was very fully explored under the thread “Sunglasses” originated by vaqueroaero on 28 Nov 2002 in the Non-Airlines Forums - Rotorheads forum. To return to the original request, I presume Fullforward has long since bought some sunglasses but for anyone else interested Hidalgos, Inc of Wimberly, TX has some useful technical data on their website. This gives the pros and cons of various lenses, how to select sunglasses for various uses, and a Lens Light Transmission Chart. They state:
“For the technical folks, we use a Hoya ULT-2000 Universal Light Transmittance meter to make our measurements. This instrument measures visible light levels in the 400-760nm wavelength range, the ultraviolet light in the 310-400nm range, and the infrared light in the 760-1200nm range. The wavelength of the light is measured in nanometers (nm).”

Having mentioned Hidalgos, Inc, does anyone know their current status? I recall that a few years ago the owner was considering retiring because of ill health. However, the website seems to have been updated since then so perhaps they are still as active as ever. I have since early March emailed them four times to ask for a paper catalogue. I have not received any response or a catalogue. It will be appreciated if someone would confirm whether or not they are still in business. I hope they are. Thanks.

Spektor
16th Jul 2005, 04:50
Fellows,

Lets settle this once and for all, shall we? The only shades that combine both the great lens technology, AND don't make you look like a 1980s LAPD motorcycle cop are OAKLEYS. If you can't look cool in your shades, then what's the point?

Wouldn't you agree? Thank you.

Spektor. :cool:

lager
17th Jul 2005, 11:20
perhaps the science is in the choice of dog, or pet food. I don't have a dog but my eyesight is pretty good too. It's probably the carrots together with 'pedigree chum' that does it!

swish266
17th Jul 2005, 11:47
I used to own a pair bout 5 yrs ago until I left them behind at the BRU Hilton and the nice housekeeping mngr said they were never dere...
Any way, I hav greasy skin and the Ser used to slide down my nose all the time... More so in chop. To me dey were on the heavy side.
I am back to RB (wit the new Italian lences, not old B&L), bluish shade lite metal frames. Happy. Only have to use CRTs at 90% brightness.
But I am tempted to get some new lighter Sers...:ok:

captainkangaroo
19th Jul 2005, 03:44
I have had my Serengeti 555nm - VELOCITY TITANIUM with the graded tint for three yeard now and love them! You have to carefull with the frames as they are Titanium and if you bend them they are done.

I plan on buying them again when the time comes.

fullyestablished
19th Jul 2005, 07:48
I certainly love my Serengetis but I have found that for the GA environment Shields are a great solution. They have an elastic strap not arms so that my Dave Clark noise cancelling headphones are comfortable for over 5 hours. The lenses provide 180 degrees of distortion free vision and they do a huge range of lenses including prescription.

I have just seen on www.shieldseyewear.com that they have downgraded their lifetime accidental damage guarantee to two years, but is still good.

But the best feature is the float on the back of the cord. So in the event of my ditching my aircraft in the North Sea at least I will still have my sunglasses.

They claim to be the only polycorbonate lens that is Optical Class 1. Don't be put off by the $50-80 price tag.

Bravo73
20th Jul 2005, 14:04
re Serengetis in the UK

The 'Driving' section of the Sunday Times has recently been offering a very good deal on Serengeti sunglasses (30% off the RRRP, if I recall correctly. More if you buy more than one pair).

I've had a quick look and, unfortunately, I can't find an online version of the offer.

For the record, go for the 'Drivers' or particularly the 'Drivers Gradient' lenses. I've been using them for the last couple of years and they are very good at improving the contrast, particularly in flat light conditions. Highly recommended.

B73

richarjm
20th Jul 2005, 14:40
I wear Oakley WHY™ 8.1 which are superb for GA under the DC headset. Very light, barely tell you're wearing them, superb lenses and cover the entire field of vision brilliantly. Will definately be replaced by same glasses, indeed already have been once!
I swear I don't work for oakley:D

slim_slag
20th Jul 2005, 14:55
Go onto ebay and get them shipped over from North America, serengetis should cost no more than £65 including postage.

Farrell
20th Jul 2005, 23:26
Still using my Serrengheti's........great!

Also use Oakley A Wires for a change, but still prefer the others!

Halfbaked_Boy
23rd Jul 2005, 20:32
I use a £6 pair from Matalan's ;)

bladewashout
27th Jul 2005, 20:07
I wish I could chop & change, but as I need prescription lenses, Oakleys come in around £230, and the frames kept breaking, which was fine while they replaced them under warranty, but now the new 'fives' frames are a different shape! I had prescription serengetis about 15 years ago, they were great but staggeringly expensive. Plus when your prescription changes you have to buy new standard glasses *and* new sunglasses! My Oakleys and Serengetis now sit gathering dust in a drawer.

Flip-downs over standard glasses are just too uncool to think about.

A helmet with tinted visor only costs about the same as a few sets of sunglasses and will last several prescriptions-worth, but can cause some unwanted attention when worn around the pool or in the car, so it's not a real substitute for general use...

Just another expense to add to a pilot's list!

BW

pilotbear
31st Jul 2005, 21:47
regarding prescription lenses, I bought some 52mm Randolphs and just had prescription lenses fitted at my local optician :ok:

gingernut
2nd Aug 2005, 11:21
Poundstretcher- £2.99

No less effective in preventing eye damage than any others.

TyroPicard
3rd Aug 2005, 16:54
Gingernut

I've always been wary of cheap sunglasses - your iris opens wider with shades on, and if the lenses are not very good at blocking the UV rays then you can get serious eye damage (over the long term). It is well worth paying for good lenses.

Cheers, TP

wondering
3rd Aug 2005, 17:36
Randolph Engineering, Concorde Model with the grey/green lenses. Imho colors look very natural. I neither like the greenish color feel of Ray Bans nor the reddish one of Serengetis.

Oh and the other day, I was using my EUR 4 sunclasses from the discounter. Seemed to work almost as good. They have this 400% UV protection as well. :ok:

gingernut
4th Aug 2005, 08:16
It is well worth paying for good lenses.

Sorry, not an expert, but is price related to protection ? Seem to remember some UK consumer study from years back suggesting that it is not.

Cheers:cool:

stellair
4th Aug 2005, 12:36
Oakley Minutes fitted with a black iradium lens, you will never look back. Oakleys best UV protection, very light, covers the whole field of vision and fits nicely under headset.

benou
9th Aug 2005, 14:41
For strong light environments (above cloud layers, ...), we recommend any Julbo (see julbo.fr) sunglasses model with Alti Spectron x6 glasses, it has flash protection and anti-glare, tunes down any excess of light, still allowing to see in high resolution at extreme distances.

JAF0
16th Aug 2005, 12:24
Would these be any good?

http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/products/metals/humberto.cfm

Whats the difference between drivers and 555NM? Which is better for flying, (helis, not way up in the heavens like some you :) )

I have rayban predators but after wearing them a while get a little heavy on the nose and start to irritate you.

Thanks

Farrell
16th Aug 2005, 15:54
I have a new pair of Serengetis that I got as a present!

My other Serengetis are now looking for a new home.

Bravo73
18th Aug 2005, 11:03
JAF0,

Go for Drivers (or, ideally, Drivers Gradient) lenses. See my post above.

And, FWIW, I also only fly helis.

Regards,

B73

PS Your link didn't work.

JAF0
18th Aug 2005, 13:35
Thanks Bravo, ill have a look and see what I can get.

these were the ones that the link posted to (dont know why it stopped working)

http://fapomatic.com/58/gg6860_1.jpg

Model# Frame Color
lens color Size Information:
6852 Henna Drivers Base Curve: 8 Rx
6853 shiny Black Drivers Temple Length: 135mm/Spring Hinges
GG6860* Gunmetal 555nm Lens Size: 51.0 x 29.9 x 52.2mm, DBL 18mm

Fingersmac
21st Aug 2005, 20:30
Lots of praise for Serengeti's found in this thread.

Rather confusing though since i've read a few articles that say photochromic lenses are not suitable for flying.

From an article on Transport Canada's site:

Photochromic lenses that darken with increasing UV light are good for driving, but polycarbonate aircraft canopies shield out much of the ultraviolet rays and may interfere with their proper darkening. Additionally, going from bright sunlight into cloud the glasses may take several minutes to lighten

From an article by a FAA Vision Research specialist:

Glass photochromic lenses (PhotoGray(r) and PhotoBrown(r)) automatically darken when exposed to UV and become lighter in dim light. Most of the darkening takes place in the first 60 seconds, while lightening may take several minutes. Although most photochromic glass lenses can get as dark as regular sunglasses (approximately 20% light transmittance in direct sunlight), their darkened state may be lighter due to the reduced UV exposure through the windscreen. In addition, the faded state of photochromic glass lenses may not be clear enough to be useful when flying in cloud cover or at night.

kaepa
30th Aug 2005, 23:12
am not scintfic about this but stay away from polarized lenses for glass cockpit

Airbus Girl
20th Sep 2005, 15:57
I find Cebe Athlon ski glasses with brown-orange lenses are fantastic for both keeping the strong sunlight out of my eyes and for the comfort of the frames. The frames are comfy with headset on and also mean that the sunglasses never fall off, whether skiing or flying.

oojamaflip
29th Sep 2005, 14:51
For those still looking for Serengeti's in the UK - as has been said, Sunglass Hut no longer stock them.

If you google it, you'll find shadesaver.com and you can get them shipped from the US.

The ones I just ordered were $109 + p&p which was about $50 cheaper than the serengeti website. Seems like a good deal.

kestrel539
30th Sep 2005, 13:31
Cloudmaster are a very good make, relaxing on the eye, and give a good contrast to clouds. Cheaper than Serengeti, but the lens are prone to scatches. Avaliable from AFE in the UK, along with Serengeti's

Rubençito
1st Oct 2005, 13:17
I swear silouette sunglasses since 1 year,they're extremely lightweight,clear lenses in all wx conditions,I camefrom oakleys but those seems good

Fingersmac
21st Oct 2005, 14:50
Fingersmac, you are welcome to give an opinion, or refer readers to further information. A post that only contains a link to a commercial site is not acceptable.

Cheers, BM

Terryble
16th Nov 2005, 06:19
can anyone clarify, whether polarised sunglasses are allowed in the cockpit while flying?

looking to buy a pair to start my flying soon, and would like to know whether to pay a difference of 100 for the polarised lenses

teghjeet
16th Nov 2005, 07:14
I would not advise Polarisd glasses. One one flight I found that I could not read the FMS panel at all and the EADI/EHSI also appeared very strange. It so turned out that the FMS Panel has horizontal lines which were illuminated and my glasses let in only vertical light hence the inability to read the displays. The ac is ATR

Terryble
16th Nov 2005, 08:49
teghjeet : Thanks for your advice. I guess I would be better off with a pair of non-polarised then...

Gonzo
17th Nov 2005, 20:22
If anyone's interested, Sunglasses Time (there's one at Bicester Village, and one at MacArthur Glen Village Swindon) have an offer at the moment of buy one, get one free on Serengetis.

I just bought two pairs for £63.

avi8ors
14th Dec 2005, 14:29
Well, seein' as we're all bein' unscientific an' unedumacated about it ..... when I wanted an answer for this in the '70s, I went to an optometrist who fitted me out with Carl Zeiss lenses (http://www.zeiss.com/41256820002524A3/Contents-Frame/AC94E29BA0C4621985256E600070BDA5). Yup, the same mob that make, amongst other things, the lenses fitted to professional cameras. An' das good enough fer me.

The beauty of having sunnies made up is that you can pick whatever frame you want. Sometimes, I'd get a cheaper frame, such as a Rodenstock, but hell, you can get any sort you want.

As was mentioned earlier: what price yer eyes?

An' das ma 5o cents worf!

criticalmass
27th Dec 2005, 12:06
For the last 30 years I have used only Carl Zeiss Dark Umbral sunglass lenses, set in aviator teardrop frames with very thin side-wings so they don't become uncomfortable under a headset.

They'll see me out for the rest of my flying. They are optical glass and quite soft, so handle with care.

Scube3
30th Dec 2005, 02:26
Just wondering.....

If photocromatic lenses are not good because they don't get lighter fast enough when encountering cloud layers....how about the rest of regular sunglasses that don't change at all....Would those be better? :confused:

Serengeti's also have a what they call gradient lenses in which the bottom part of the lense has a lighter tone than the top improving your instrument view in this type of situations...

.....just my 50 cents.

Scube
:cool:

Scube3
30th Dec 2005, 04:11
I just read this on a web page. This seems to give pretty accurate info about this topic.

Here it goes:

Relay-Version: B 2.11 6/12/87; site scorn
Path: uunet!clyde.concordia.ca!news-server.csri.toronto.edu!cs.utexas.edu!wuarchive!julius.cs.ui uc.edu!apple!voder!pyramid!leadsv!claude
Newsgroups: rec.aviation
Subject: How Should Pilots Select Sunglasses?
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 90 08:32:21 PST
Reply-To: [email protected] (Claude Goldsmith)
Distribution: na
Organization: LMSC-LEADS, Sunnyvale, Ca.
Lines: 110

The newsletter published by USAIG in August has an interesting
article dealing with sunglasses for aviators. Since I don't have a
scanner handy and I'm a 2 finger typist, I'm not going to copy the
whole thing here. However some of the data and conclusions are
interesting and useful, so I'll extract a few things.

>From Aviation Insurance News; volume 21; number 4.

"There are several excellent reasons to wear sunglasses. It is
generally accepted that glare is harmful to the eye, and that
protection from glare is therefore therapeutic, even though studies
show that only 22 percent of the population reacts adversely to
glare."

"The older eye compares unfavorably with the younger one. Since
visual performance is directly related to image luminance, it follows
that the older eye, which is less responsive to changes in light
levels, is at a disadvantage. There are several reasons for this.
First, there is less increase in pupilary size with decreased
luminance. Second, changes in the lens and vitreous humor make the
older eye more sensitive to glare. Third, there is an overall
reduction in the transmission of light. This translates directly to
a need for more light to be able to see, and to age-related problems
with visual acuity in diminished light... Older pilots, therefore,
should wear sunglasses that allow the passage of more light to the
retina. It has been reported that to obtain the same contrast
detection performance as a 20-year-old, a 40-year-old needs 40
percent more light, and a 60-year-old needs 100 percent more light"

"A high-level light source, such as glare, causes pupilary
constriction. The smaller the aperature through which the eye must
see, the darker is the immage created on the retina... "

"The amount of light blocked by sunglasses is the key to how much
decrement takes place in visual acuity while the glasses are actually
in place. This adverse effect exists only while the glasses are
actually in place, and does not persist after the glasses have been
removed. Generally, the darker the lens, the larger the loss. This
is the reason why baseball players delay flipping down their
sunglasses from beneath their cap visors until they have located the
arcing ball."

"...A lens that darkens or lightens according to the intensity of
ambient light, or truly photosensitive lens, would appear to be the
most desireable, especially since the pilot needs metered light
abatement that is based on the severity of the exposure. However
those lenses that require UV-B to make them darken will not darken
when worn inside the airplane since UV-B does not penetrate the
canopy or windows. Thus, what appears to be the best answer to the
changeable needs of the cockpit, photochromatic lenses, turns out not
to be an answer at all."

"The amount of light that passes through a lens is the most critical
factor in selecting sunglasses to effect a compromise between visual
decrement, color distortion and glare or high ambient light
protection. Lenses are catagorized as being between a one and a four
according to percent of light transmission and it's basic color.
Thus, you can have a brown 3, gray 4, yellow 1, green 2 or any
combination of a color and a number. A number 1 lens cuts 20 percent
of available light, barely enough to be noticed, and except for
yellow, useful only in the world of fashion. A number 2 lens blocks
70 percent. A number 3 lens blocks 85 percent and a number 4 lens
blocks 95 percent. There is no place in aviation for a number 4 lens
of any color because of the severe decrement in visual acuity,
(though such lenses are available). A pilot with 20/20 vision
wearing number 4 glasses has a visual acuity between 20/40 and 20/60
while airborne in the cockpit, even though he could be a comfortable
20/20 on the sunbathed ski slopes using the same glasses."

"A Number 3 lens has utility only in unusually high light situations
such as flying into the sun, or flying VFR just on top in bright sun.
Interestingly, it is Number 3 lenses that are in common usage without
regard for whether acuity suffers. Visual acuity while wearing
Number 3 lenses can be degraded to an average of 20/30."

"The Number 2 lens should be the aviators friend, and then only when
judiciously worn. A 30 percent light transmission presents the world
with the same amount of light as that found in a 70 percent eclipse
of the sun. That is what these glasses do. Subdued light is the
result. Visual acuity is reduced minimally. Wearing Brown 2
glasses, the 20/20 pilot remains almost 20/20. Looking for traffic,
the pilot should remove them. As soon as meteorological conditions
permit, they should be returned to the case or pocket. Wear Yellow 1
glasses in haze or in the soup, and then only if they improve
vision."

"The effect of even a small difference in acuity on visual performance
is commonly underestimated." So say the investigators at the U.S.
Naval Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory in their December 1986
report on the use of sunglasses and visors by U.S. Navy fighter
pilots. Visor wearers were at a 1.8 nautical mile disadvantage in
sighting a target compared to those not so encumbered."

"Sunglasses should not be worn merely because they are available.
Ambient light translates directly into visual acuity. Losses in the
former impact the latter."

"Aviators sunglasses should be glass or polycarbonate; should transmit
not less than 25 percent of available light; should not distort
colors, distances, or shapes; should nullify the bluring of shortwave
reflected blue; and should increase contrast without
misrepresentation. Their adverse effect of visual acuity must be
known and they should not be worn during conditions of diminished
light. There can be special times when an adjunct pair of Yellow 1
glasses (that are not sunglasses) can improve vision..."
--
note: photochromatic lenses would enter a number 2 type lense in their lighter tone stage but it seems that cockpit glass will affect the photochromatic ability of the lenses to get darker, to some point.

pontius's pa
30th Dec 2005, 04:40
I want no unseemly mirth at this very informative posting.

Many years ago on Hong Kong TV there was an advert featuring a now long retired CX very senior pilot, (CXVSP)

The ad went something like this.

CXVSP, seated at the controls, turned round to the camera behind his seat with his hands raised and said something like

"I fly hundreds of thousands of passengers every year and their safety is in these hands. I need the best protection for my eyes I can get and I use Zeiss," (puts on sunglasses).

"Zeiss for my eyes!!"

There you have it ladies and gentlemen from the most impeccable of sources.

Remember now, no laughing (choke)

Mama Mangrove
30th Dec 2005, 20:30
I always wore Raybans, tried Oakleys and various other types at various times, then just a few years before I retired I discovered Serengetti Velocity sunglasses with titanium frames and drivers gradient lenses and wished I'd found them 20 years before. When my original pair were stolen I went straight out and bought an identical pair. I had a look in Sunglass hut today and they still sell them there. They're not cheap, but worth every penny in my opinion.

321 Flyer
31st Dec 2005, 01:21
Thanks for sharing the article. It was most informative. :8

brianh
31st Dec 2005, 02:45
Only just noticed this thread and had a quick read.

Being in Australia and travelling Outback the topic of glare and sunnies is very topical for me. It's 42 degress here today and extreme UV.

One point that does not seem to have been stressed is the long term implications of glare. Answer = cataracts and vision deterioration. (And no laser surgery). Direct quote from a medical vision site - "Most cataracts occur as a result of ageing and long term exposure to UV light. Making sunglass wear very important as preventative measure."

Pilots are exposed to significant UV, with far less atmosphere layer protection, and the wearing of good sunglasses is vital to good vision in old age - particularly as life expectations are longer now. My father, aged 92, spent much of his life at open sporting functions without sunglasses - after several ops including large $ expenses he has peripheral vision but little else.

I wear Randolphs, purchased from the USA. Dropped and damaged my first pair, their response was top class. They have the flat sections sitting nicely under my headset and soft seats on the nose bridge. I wear them driving, flying, drinking. Only trap is the flat sides allow them to fall off if you bend over quickly - they are best worn with one of those grandfather cords arouns the neck, particularly as I have to revert to my prescription glasses about 5 minutes before landing to get my long distance vision spot on.

Main reason for this post is that anyone reading this thread who does NOT wear good sunglasses - not just in the cockpit but anywhere in the sun - needs to be aware that it can catch up in our grumpy old age.

LGB
4th Jan 2006, 16:06
I have had Srengettis recommended before, also this thread indicates they are a a good choice.

I am slightly nearsighted, enough for it to be in my medical. So where can I get a pair of Serengettis with prescription glasses? Just to find the glasses themselves seems to be a problem, when I finally found some, they only had a small selection.

Dozza2k
5th Jan 2006, 18:07
well the title says it. I currently have a pair of ray bans with perscription lenses from my local optician. But, since I am about to take to the skies once more, I think i can treat myself.
I know Oakleys do there own perscriptions, anyone know if serengeti does or any other good makes? Its just I think mine are not dark enough.
cheers
d2k

Altimeters
5th Jan 2006, 23:10
I have the prescription Ray Bans, but before I got them I was wearing a pair of Serengeti's. From what I was told, you can't have lenses that are too curved to be prescriptions because they'll just warp everything you see. But also with Serengeti's you probably don't wanna take those lenses out. That's what makes the glasses so good. I've just gotten my Ray Bans tinted to a darker shade.

Hope that helps! :ok:

Cosmo
6th Jan 2006, 12:08
If you look at the different threads dealing with sunnies you'll notice that Serengeties are recommended more often than not. Serengeties are available in prescription lenses even for their more curved frames (such as the Lassen frame).

http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/support/rx_program.cfm

It did take some hunting on my part to find that authentic Serengeti lenses could actually be fitted to the more curved frames; one of the main dealers around here insisted that they cannot supply authentic lenses to, for example, the Lassen frame. I think you'll find that you have to locate a dealer that gets their lenses supplied from the States as the more curved lenses do not seem to be manufactured in Europe. Another alternative is to order them online.

http://www.athleticoptics.com/default.asp?Action=GetSports&MfgrID=60

On a personal note, based on all the discussion here, I'll definitely be ordering authentic prescription Serengeties for my next pair of sunnies.

Cosmo

Fingersmac
11th Jan 2006, 17:41
i posted this earlier in the thread but was modded. i'll try again.
private pilot magazine did a study a little while back on the best sunglasses for aviation. oakley came out on top for each category.
you can check out the results of the study here:
http://oakley.com/private_pilot/
obviously the results are on the oakley site seeing as they did very well. please keep in mind the original study was performed by private pilot magazine NOT oakley.

The Greaser
12th Jan 2006, 18:50
These guys are excellent if you need any prescription sunglasses including serengeti.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/sunglasses.html

wingman863
23rd Jan 2006, 15:48
I have lost a fantastic pair of ray-bans that I had. Don't know what model but they were the ones the guys had in men in black if thats any help. Was very sad to lose them but am looking to replace them. Oakleys are the current favourite for both their technical value and the nice design. Thinking a pair of wires 2.0 with either blue or fire lenses. Anyone have any experience of this model?

Scube3
29th Jan 2006, 23:54
Anybody knows about the difference between serenguetis made in Italy and Japan?
Are Japan's Serenguetis fake? It seems weird but sometimes I check on a website and the same internet shop has serengetis made in both countries and the price doesn't vary. Anybody knows?

Scube.

11th Feb 2006, 07:29
Ray-Ban’s ‘Sidestreet - RB3183’. Colour Code - 014/73 (Frame – ‘Brown’, Lenses – ‘APX Brown’)

Metal, frameless lenses. Really thin arms so headset stays nice and snug (mine are David Clarke 13.4’s) and keep outside noise to an absolute minimum. Not a big fan of Ray-Ban till now, when I realised they did some nice sets, unlike those awful 70’s style Aviators! These are well made, light, really comfortable & wrapped to avoid light leaking into your peripheral vision. Non-polarised variety of course, and rated category 3 on Ray-Bans tint rating. (Darkest is 4, which RB do not recommend for driving or flying). I find the brown lens makes it much easier to see the instruments and makes the outside seem a shade lighter compared to Cat. 3 lens with a green or grey tint. Still dark enough to take the sting away from that harsh WA sun.

Would’ve loved titanium, super-thin armed Maui Jims, but these were way out of my budget. Sertengetis come highly recommended too, but again too pricey for me. Pooh. Killer Loop did some incredibly thin-armed frameless, good looking sets at a great price, but all the ones available to me had mirror lenses which are apparently not recommended.

Ray Bans have great lenses, great fit, take good care of your eyes and whilst they still cost a pretty penny, they’re a good choice for people without copious amounts of money to burn!

AUS $179.95. From Sunglass Hut – have 14 day return policy if you don’t like them or work as well as you’d expect. 1 year guarantee. If broken (I was told ‘I don’t care if you sit on them or run over them deliberately with a truck’!), they’ll give you a brand new replacement pair at half the price. Sweet. :ok:

cjd_a320
19th Feb 2006, 21:25
Its been a while since I last graced a cockpit but I always used Randolph Aviators.

I'm amazed that so few have mentioned them?? The Randolph Aviator standard issue sunglasses for U.S. armed forces pilots, Top Gun Flying School and NASA.

Things mush of change since I've retired ;) :)

Info
http://www.avidaviator.com/randolph_sunglasses.html

www.randolphusa.com

Cruise Alt
24th Feb 2006, 11:04
Had 1000 hours of GA instruction time using some nice REVO polarized wraparounds which were fantastic, I only wish that I had invested as much on protecting my ears. However now fly A320/1s and the polarized sunnies cause distracting discolouration effects through the windshield and also completely black out the LCD display on the radio panel. I changed to some trendy narrow Revos but they let too much light in around the side and were soon disgarded. I still swear by the Revos and have some non polarized wraparounds which are great but pricey. In summary - Polarized are not helpful in an airliner!

Suvarnabhumi
26th Feb 2006, 13:28
For Jet EFIS there's only one must have:

Serengeti's with Driver Gradient Lenses.

And they are NOT polarised so no probs there!!!

rubber
6th Mar 2006, 12:53
does the colour of the lens tint matter?

comparing a brown lens and a gray lens.

assuming both are Number 2 lens, non polarised with 20-30 percent light transmission, which is more suitable for use during flying?

rubber
8th Mar 2006, 15:06
For Jet EFIS there's only one must have:
Serengeti's with Driver Gradient Lenses.
And they are NOT polarised so no probs there!!!

the driver gradient lenses are photo chromatic so does it cause any lightening / darkening problems as mentioned in the posts before this?

The Greaser
8th Mar 2006, 15:13
No there are no such problems with the serengeti drivers gradient lenses and I agree wholeheartedly with Suvarnabhumi - they are outstanding.

rubber
8th Mar 2006, 15:28
looking to get either the 555nm lenses or drivers / driver's gradient.... undecided though cos of the lens colour (grey vs brown). Serengetis are costly so don't wanna make a wrong purchase :cool:

Wise Monkey
3rd Apr 2006, 04:47
Try this test:- put on your Polarised Glasses and look at a digital clock by tilting your head to the right...and you will see the screen go completley black. This will also effect your instruments when flying.

Tried and testd:- Polarising sunglasses should not be used when flying. The polarising filter interacts with the cockpit transparency to produce a distorted and degraded visual image.

Wise Monkey
3rd Apr 2006, 04:53
US airforce made Aviators compulsory for years. + They have been around since the 30's.
http://www.ray-ban.com/

FMC OVERHEAT
25th Apr 2006, 22:08
555nm or driver's gradient ? which one is better ? I m thinking about velocity titanium matte black (mod #6691 ) or lassen titanium (mod #6698) pretty expensive though (270 euros)

Hawk
26th Apr 2006, 05:56
With Moderator Bad Medicine's permission a post from 2003.

"Sunglasses are a topic dear to the heart of aviators. There are a number of factors which determine the suitability or otherwise of sunglasses for use in the aviation role.

Narrow frames that carry large lenses are the most desirable from a field of view standpoint. The most critical problem with frames arises from the presence of wide sidearms which can significantly impair the peripheral visual field.

Lenses should not be too dark, and should transmit at least 15% of incident light. The tint used should be "neutral density"
(N.D.), that is, a greyish tint that does not distort colour perception. Much has been written about the perceived benefits of various coloured lenses, especially in regard to contrast and perceived brightness. Coloured lenses have been shown to reduce the colour information received, and to have a detrimental effect on both perception and reaction time.

Lenses of polycarbonate material are preferred because of their impact-resistance and ability to absorb ultra-violet and infra-red rays. However, these lenses can scratch easily. Harder materials may be suitable, however these may be more prone to shattering in an impact.

Different jurisdictions and countries have standards to which sunglasses are manufactured. Sunglasses should be chosen which conform to the appropriate standard. For example, the current Australian Standard ensures that sunglasses meet acceptable standards for lens quality, frame strength and lens retention and also ensures that sunglasses provide adequate protection from solar radiation.

Polarising sunglasses should not be used when flying. The polarising filter interacts with the cockpit transparency to produce a distorted and degraded visual image. This effect can also be seen with laminated car windscreens. Better keep the polarised lenses for fishing.

Pilots who wear prescription spectacles can choose from a number
of options for glare protection. Prescription sunglasses with N.D.15 lenses can be obtained, or N.D.15 clip-on or flip-up sunglasses may be worn over prescription spectacles.

Back to the original issue of photochromatic lenses. Photochromatic lenses have several disadvantages that render them unsuitable for use by pilots.

Firstly, their transition times are relatively slow. Photochromatic lenses take about five minutes to increase their density to the level of sunglasses, but more importantly, the bleaching time from maximum to minimum density can be as long as 30 minutes. Although there is a rapid lightening of the lens in the first five minutes, this may be too long when there is a sudden variation in light during a descent into or under cloud, or because of a rapid change in cloud cover.

Their second disadvantage is that, even when fully bleached, photochromic lenses still absorb slightly more light than untinted lenses. Since vision is critically dependent on ambient light levels, even this small decrease of light reaching the eye through photochromatic lenses is undesirable, especially at night or in low light levels. The inherent degradation of these lenses with time causes them to progressively become darker, as they become unable to reach the fully bleached state. This effectively prohibits their use in flying or controlling air traffic.

I hope that "sheds some light" on the subject.

Cheers,

BM"

rubber
26th Apr 2006, 10:46

I think the latest generation of photochromatic lenses have much faster response time, not sure how much though

scruggs
26th Apr 2006, 12:31
What's the best Serengeti frame for flying? I've decided on getting the Drivers Gradient lenses, but I'm undecided on the frames. Any thoughts?

eP

pinkhyppo
26th Apr 2006, 13:04
Most sunnies have a coated layer of UV ray absorbtion material which fades over time.
As far as I know only Oakley and Serengeti has this UV ray absorbtion material built into the lens, i.e. no degradation on UV ray absorbtion.

And only Oakley lenses claims to eliminate 100% of UVA, UVB and UVC rays, while Serengeti only claims to eliminate 98.5% UVA and 100% UVB and no mention of UVC.

So it is a no brainer for me, been Oakley or nothing for me for as long as I can remember:ok:

RHCP
2nd May 2006, 12:46
I'm currently trying to decide between the following

1) Oakley CROSSHAIR™ ACTIVATED BY TRANSITIONS.

2) Serengeti Velocity Titanium with drivers gradient lenses

Any advice would be great the new transition lenses from oakley are relatively new to the market does anyone have an opinion on response time to light changes etc.

scruggs
2nd May 2006, 13:09
I was dead set on the exact pair of Serengeti's as you've stated RHCP. I didnt know about those Oakley CROSSHAIR™ ACTIVATED BY TRANSITIONS you've listed - I've just checked them out and they look great! Choices Choices!

For looks, its the OAKLEY's, but I'll hold off on a purchase to see what peoples opinions are of the OAKLEY transition lenses.

flyboyike
2nd May 2006, 13:21
These are the ones I went with:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RAY-BAN-AVIATOR-POLARIZED-SUNGLASSES-RB3025-014-83_W0QQitemZ8281888503QQcategoryZ79732QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

Feel great and no EFIS problems even though they are polarized.

RHCP
2nd May 2006, 13:28
I think i'll stay away from polarized after all the warnings on this forum just in case.

yowie
2nd May 2006, 13:59
Try optics-online.com.au,got my Serengeti's about $100 bucks cheaper than sunglasshut,delivered within 2 days.(latest look had them at $231AUD for the Velocity) .Heaps of other brands,or they will get it!

7gcbc
2nd May 2006, 16:43
This is all very well and aside from looking cool, can anyone recommend a pair of durable, comfortable, light, non polarizing grey-tint glasses that don't cost a fortune and don't end up on your forehead during aeros ? and will survive at least a 30 second window with a 2 year old ?

Pinkhyppo is correct , my raybans are currently in the process of peeling, which is rather satisfying considering I've had them slightly over a year.

Hand Solo
2nd May 2006, 16:48
If you can get them to fit your head (they're a bit small) try a pair of Oakley Fives. About £50 in the UK and should meet all your criteria. I was very impressed when I accidentaly dropped them off an 8 storey building, breaking them into the 5 component parts, then found I could put them right back together again as good as new!

Inverted81
4th May 2006, 21:57
Hi all...
in a previous life i used to sell oakley in the outdoor activity industry in the UK's largest oakley retailer.
I've used serrengetti's ray ban etc, but without a doubt Oakley's did the job for me and i haven't looked back!

As others have said, Oakley do claim (and i've seen it proven) that UVA, UVB and UVC are blocked 100%. So you all know; UVC is the "blue light" reflected of snowy surfaces. so ideal for skiing etc.

They use a molecule called iridium which is imcorporated into the polycarbonate, to remove the glare. All UV and IR is removed by the lens material not the "iridium" so if the lenses get scratched, you will still be covered.

They also offer a wide array of lens hues to choose from. my tips for the cockpit would be gold iridium, black iridium (for particularly bright cockpits) and my personal fovourites emerald or Ice....

I haven't read thro all this thread but Oakley have done many comparisons between many manufacturers and surveys have been done in the states i believe for pilots. last time i looked details we're on their website... :cool:

scruggs
5th May 2006, 08:19
Who is the largest UK Oakley retailer? If you can't advertise, can you PM me please.

Cheers mate :ok:

eP

shelgason
9th May 2006, 21:56
As others have said, Oakley do claim (and i've seen it proven) that UVA, UVB and UVC are blocked 100%. So you all know; UVC is the "blue light" reflected of snowy surfaces. so ideal for skiing etc.

Actually, UV-C (100 to 280 nm) is totally blocked by the ozone layer. So unless you do alot of skiing on the poles, you don't need UV-C protection at all. Seems to me like it's just to make them sound better.

I recommend Skylet lenses from Carl Zeiss.

You can get them framed from Zeiss or you can buy only the lenses to be mounted in any frame you like. I have mine in a Silhouette Minimal Art. Excellent comfort while wearing a headset.

Regards,

crewrest
18th May 2006, 19:41
Do a search on ebay; there's loads there.
I bought and am happy with this chap

Edited to remove advertising link. BM

captain_murray
19th May 2006, 14:57
Hi,

does anyboday have and info on rayban lens, I like rayban glasses and i want buy a pair, with G-15xlt lens, i have a job sailing in greece for the summer so what a pair that are good for that but with a view to using the for flying aswell. thats the dilemma, i dont want to spend a fortune on a pair of polerized for sailing that i cant use for flying! so are G15 good? i hear they are a good alrounder but waondered if any had any experience on the water and in the air?

thanks

soggyboxers
19th May 2006, 22:06
Oakleys - wouldn't touch them again. The lenses kept breaking in the only pair I tried to keep. After 4 pairs of lenses and 400 excuses I threw them away. Used raybans for over 30 years with no problems and currently the best I have ever had are Serengetti drivers glasses with the gradient lenses and titanium frames. I have no interest in their looks; only that they're comfortable for up to 8 hours a day, tough and do the job.

Dani
4th Jun 2006, 16:48
... yeah, this discussion is endless ...

HOWEVER:
I can't believe there's still pilots around who see advantages of changing or gradient lenses.

For an aviator there is not always earth where is the lower part of the sunglasses. Even if you don't do aerobatics, you do turns, and your eyes will be less protected on the "upper" side of the turn.

Also in quick changing brightness, which happens in the cockpit all the time, changing lenses are nonsense.

UV-C is the radiation with less than 400 nm (also called blue light) and is suspected to be reason for damages on eyes when you get old. Swiss National Healthcare Institute SUVA came to this conclusion (and invented the Suvasol lenses). It's also wrong to think that UV-C only occures in polar regions. Everyone knows that it's a question of dosis, and in the air on high FLs there is considerably more UV rays than on ground. Latest stratospherical research come to the conclusion that "ozone holes" not only happen in polar winters but everywhere on the planet.

There is another factor to be considered: The form is not only fashionable and a comfort question. Straight models (conventional pilot glasses' frame) let more rays entering your eye from the side and from the back. A "round" model ("wrap around") is not only "cool", but absolutly necessary from a medical point of view. Mountain climber knew that already before those wrap around models existed.

If you consider all these points you come to the conclusion that Oakley is the only way to go, if you like it or not. Or if you don't want a famous brand go for Suvasol or any other brown glass with UVC filter capability.

Bear in mind that until now Oakley is the only provider who has solved the problem of corrected RX prescribed wrap around lenses. It needs very complicated production steps to do so. Other lenses sometimes show abberations when you move your head, very disturbing!

Dani

md-100
4th Jun 2006, 17:43
For pilots flying NG planes ... I mean watching screens not analog instrument....::

What sun-glasses do you wear just to see what is going on on the screen and dont let the sun bother you?

Daysleeper
5th Jun 2006, 09:23
Argh I just broke my Rayban 2030s (about 5 years old) and now I cant find a UK stockist to replace them... any ideas chaps?
And if anyone has ordered from the US what extra taxes did you have to pay?

wingman863
5th Jun 2006, 09:43
I've a pair of raybans which are oval shaped and slightly wrap-around. They are pretty good although I recently got a pair of Oakley Hatchet glasses and these are a little bit bit better. Headsets and frames is always a problem though.

DawnTreader
6th Jun 2006, 22:44
I wouldn't touch any Transistions lenses. I have the regular prescription ones (latest generation) and they will NOT go dark in a car or cockpit.

The first gen had problems with the speed of darkening and the depth of colour. (In fact the UK Advertising Standards Authority forced them to pull their TV ads.) They have improved them since then but what's the point if the windscreen blocks enough UV and heat to stop them 'reacting'??

GullWing
2nd Sep 2006, 16:15
Hi all
Been to a couple of shops trying on various sunglasses today and finally found a pair that I really like - thin enough to go under headset, wrap-around lenses, nice and light etc etc, and thought Id come home and find them cheaper on the web...

When I looked up the style in question (Oakley Dart) all the sites I found listed these as "exclusively for women"! Yet nobody in the shops mentioned this to me. Would it be an inexcusable error for me to buy and wear a pair of "ladies" sunglasses?

GullWing :confused: (very male)

1013dot25hPa
9th Sep 2006, 07:43
I see people repeatedly refering to Serengeti Drivers Gradient lenses as transition lenses. They are NOT transition lenses. Transition lenses are also known as photochromatic lenses and AUTOMATICALY change color based upon the amount of UV available which is related to how bright it is.

The Serengeti Drivers Gradient lenses are in essence nothing more then lenses that are darker colored on the top and lighter colored on the bottom of the lens. The do NOT change automaticaly. So no problems there.

I also constantly see people refering to Oakley's as the only lenses that filter out UV-A, B and C. Also this is not true. Just have a look at the Serengeti manufacturers website. Serengeti's do in fact filter out UV C.

Then there are people that think that only Oakley's filter out UVA, B and C out for a full 100%. Again not true. You are comparing polycarbonate lenses of the Oakley's with glass lenses of the Serengeti's. If it bothers you that the Serengeti glass lenses "only" filter out 100% UV-A, 98.5% Uv B and C, and feel that the 1.5% UV B that is allowed to enter is big turn-off for you, you can get Serengeti's with Polarmax lenses. Same type of lens as the Oakley's with the same properties.

So if you want a true distortion free, color true lens go with glass and go with the awesome Serengeti Drivers or Drivers Gradient. Drawback, slightly heavier then polycarbonate and more prone to shattering.

If the lack of 1.5% UV-B filtration bothers you in a glass lens, go with polycarbonate Oakley's or Serengeti PolarMax. Drawback, not 100% distortion free.

tiggermoth
10th Sep 2006, 23:59
Strangely enough I went to buy a pair or sunglasses only today in readiness to doing flight training in the US.

I hadn't read this thread until now, but my criteria were:

The arms of the frames should be as thin as possible so they would pass under my headset
The arms of the frames would not stick out from my face too much so (again) would pass under my headset.
Not polarised.
Offer 100% UV protection
I went to an optician after going to a sunglasses-hut kind of place and being very unimpressed by their technical knowledge of what they were selling.

The opticians were great, and got a (non-prescription, ie. no correction) pair of Silhouette 8592 /55 6086. These have titanium nose bridge, and arms so you can bend them out completely and they spring back into shape again. They are frameless. Got them for £80 from a high street 'express' optician (who had a 50% offer on a range).

I've not tried them in the air yet, but I have tried them under my headset (DC 10-13.4) and the ultra-thin arms (about 500 micron) pass under perfectly.

Tiggermoth

tiggermoth
11th Sep 2006, 00:03
When I looked up the style in question (Oakley Dart) all the sites I found listed these as "exclusively for women"! Yet nobody in the shops mentioned this to me. Would it be an inexcusable error for me to buy and wear a pair of "ladies" sunglasses?

Gullwing,
If they are ideal, then don't worry about it.

(When I was at uni I used to run in a pair of pink "for ladies" trainers because they were cheaper and better than the gents ones at the time.)

As long as you have an adams apple and perhaps some indication of facial hair then don't fall into the trap of the marketing man. :)

Tiggermoth

spaceman18
29th Oct 2006, 18:12
Anyone out there know where I can get prescription ray ban sunglasses?
Im talking about the frames that are more curved.... ie. the ones that all the opticians seems too scared to put a prescription in!
Ive found a few web sites, just wondering if anybody had any recommendations.
Thanks in advance

tournesol
30th Oct 2006, 12:24
A while ago, I saw a Rayban pair that I fell in love with. Bought the pair, did the eye test from the same optician. At the begining they felt a bit strange, just like any other new pair, after a while you get use to them. No problem there.
P.S. the glasses are progressive and curve like you describe.

Sagey
3rd Nov 2006, 22:25
I believe, and I am no optician, that to be able to have certain shaped prescription lensdepends on yours actual prescription. My eye sight is -0.25 in both eyes and therefore my lenses are very thin and I apparently can have virtually any frame. I know those with eyes in the 2-3 range who have thicker lenses and therefore have less choice when it comes to sunnies.

snow bear
3rd Nov 2006, 22:57
I have been wearing straight line bi-focals for a decade now. I would strongly recommend them in lieu of "progresive lenses" while in the cock-pit. As far as sun glasses go you can get any lense you wish tinted to match Ray Ban colors. I have used G-15 exclusively and have been very happy. Be sure to get "non-polarized" lenses if you are working with EFIS as polarized lenses really play havok with the screens.

wbryce
6th Nov 2006, 10:53
hello people,

I have a set of Revo polarised sun glasses, i've used them for all my GA flying and now I have my sights set on doing an IR in the future but my chosen provider does the IR in a DA42 with Glass instruments...I fear the anti glare filters mixed with my polarised lenses will fight over what picture to give me so im looking for another nice pair of sunglasses..

I like the styling of Revo, they're comfy and never fell off when doing aeros...can anyone recommend a pair? After looking through the past 6 pages, its between Oakley and Serengeti (although I looked over Serengeti's website, I couldn't find a pair I liked)...Any opinions?? :D

Farrell
7th Nov 2006, 23:30
When the weather is rainy and grey, I use Oakley A-Wire and remove the rubber socks at the ears to relieve the pressure points where my headset contacts with them.
Bose X don't give me as much of a pressure problem as the David Clark ANRs did though.

I also have Serengheti that I use on very sunny days or in places where there is a lot of haze. I have never used a pair of sunglasses that cut through mist and haze like the Serenghetis do.
My only problem with the ones I have is that they get a little bit heavy after a while on the bridge of my nose. I think it's the weight of the lenses as the frames are as light as the Oakleys.

If I was to part with one pair.......it would be the Oakleys as the Serenghetis are better all rounders.

bleetman
19th Nov 2006, 16:42
I am a doctor, a pilot and a HEMS doctor. I have been aware for some tiime that very few optometrists understand the specific visual aid requirements for aviators. I have struggled to find someone to dispense glasses for the specific demands of flying (VMC, IMC, night, reading, intermediate range - instruments). I have encouraged an optician family member to think about this and he is opening a specialist optical outlet for aviators at Coventry Airport in January/February. He has recruited an optometrist who will conduct an enhanced examination on a flight deck which will fine-tune any optical prescription for night, IMC etc.

alianablue
27th Nov 2006, 11:23
I've read all the posts about sunglasses and it's all been real helpful thanks. I'm looking at buying a pair of Serengeti Velocity Drivers Gradient glasses and am wanting to buy them online from a company in the US($112 as opposed to £165.00 in Sunglasses Hut), but has anyone bought any recently and know how much VAT and Duty there is to pay?

piggydog
10th Jan 2007, 13:28
Hi there

A quick question on the old subject of sunglasses again: After reading loads of peoples thoughts and recommendations I settled for a pair of Serengeti Velocity Titanium with the sienna gradient lens.

I loved the glasses but today I tried them out in direct sunlight for the first time. My vision was completely disrupted by blue haze, from a couple of spots when looking towards the sun to patches covering the whole lens when at an angle from the sun. I wouldn't use these for walking in direct sunlight, never mind in the cockpit. The problem seems to be the blue coating on the inside of the lens that I haven't noticed on the glasses in the shops (I bought these on line from the US (so cheap!)).

Has anyone else had these problems? It seems strange that so many people recommended the glasses and they have such a positive recommendation.

Any replies much appreciated

Cheers

Piggy

Wazzoo
13th Jan 2007, 20:32
I realise this topic has been done to death and there is a wealth of threads with peoples opinion on what the best sunglasses are, however I'm struggling to understand the restrictions specifically relating to photochromic lenses and subsequently which sunglasses I should go for.

Under HP&L the JAA say that photochromic lenses are generally forbidden due to the time taken for them to adjust to changes in light. Indeed, a number of threads on here quote Bad Medicine on the matter of sunglasses, specifically the bit that says:

So theres me thinking it was a pretty much done and dusted matter that photochromic lenses were a no go for pilots. However in trying to work out what sunglasses to get, the ones from Serengeti have caught my eye. In fact, they've caught a lot of people's eyes from these forums and I reckon a good half of the posts on the matter swear by them. Add to that, most pilot supplies shops sell them and even found one web page saying they were part of the standard uniform for Delta pilots! (not sure if that last one is true or not).

But my dillemma comes from the fact that according to their website, all the Serengeti lenses are photochromic!

So..my question.. Has photochromic technology come far enough these days for it not to be a problem? Or is it that the Serengeti's only adjust from ~10%->25% in terms of light transmittance thus taking a relatively short time, and the issues surrounding photochromic lenses only really apply to lenses that go from completely clear to darkened? Alternatively, when the JAA says 'generally forbidden' it means its not a hard and fast rule and its up to you to make your mind up on what you feel comfortable with?

Any thoughts? Am I good to splash out on these, are am I going to end up with an expensive set of sunglasses I shouldn't be using half the time! :)

Phone Wind
14th Jan 2007, 14:28
Wazzoo,

The problem with photochromic lenses for flying is that many aircraft and helicopters have glass windscreens and these don't permit UV radiation (just the same as in a car, so they're no use for driving either). Photochromic lenses depend on a chemical reaction to the silver halide or silver chloride with which they are coated. These particles are transparent to visible light. However, when UV light strikes these particles, they change shape and absorb a proportion of the visible light which causes them to darken, the darkness being proportional to the intensity of the UV radiation. It's because of this that some photochromic lenses are pre-tinted so they can be used for driving. Naturally, that makes them near useless if you have to do any night flying.

The Serengetti Velocity gradient lenses are definitely not photochromic. I bought a pair just last month to replace an identical pair I've had for years and consider the best pilot sunglasses I've ever had. I also use Oakley Whiskers because the side arms mould closely to the temples and don't reduce the noise-cancelling properties of my ENC headset.

Piggy,

I fly in a country near the equator, so I wear them nearly every day and I've never had a problem you describe with a blue haze.

Wazzoo
14th Jan 2007, 20:59
Thanks for the reply Phone Wind. :ok:

Actually, what you said kinda answers my question but also kinda reinforces it because all Serengeti lenses are photochromic to some degree (just do a google search for Serengeti and photochromic, also mentions it on their website). When you say the Velocity gradient lenses I assume you mean the Velocity frames with Drivers Gradient lenses and according to the Serengeti web site they vary from 9% light transmittance to 24% light transmittance (for both the Drivers and Drivers Gradient), and the spiel at the bottom of the page says they adjust to the changing light.

http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/technology/lens_drivers.cfm

However you say that by pretinting the photochromic lens they can be made suitable for driving/flying. Which I assume is the case with the Serengeti's in that they only go up to a maximum light transmittance of 24% (or less on other lenses). In which case they are not fully photochromic and are thus ok?

Am I making sense? Maybe I'm getting to techy with it and should just accept that they don't vary much so their ok to use...nuff said ;)

(The Serengeti site also talks about the photochromic properties being impregnated during the firing process rather than using a silver alidade coating, so I wonder if this means they don't suffer from the problems you mention with the windscreens filtering UV)

Bravo73
14th Jan 2007, 22:05
In which case they are not fully photochromic and are thus ok?

That is absolutely correct. As far as I know, the JAA photocromic 'ban' is aimed at lenses that go from 'clear' to 'dark'.

Serengeti lenses only go from 'dark' to 'darker'.

Also, bear in mind the clear photocromic lenses will have some sort of focusing ability (whereas the majority of Serengeti lenses won't). Therefore, the user will need them to see and this might be restricted if they don't 'clear' quickly enough. If Serengetis are temporarily too dark, then the pilot can just remove them!

I fly with Serengeti Drivers Gradient lenses and basically use them in all conditions except at night. They are particularly good at improving contrast in flat light conditions.

HTH,

B73

PS Has anybody actually seen a reference to this JAA photocromic 'ban' outside of the HP&L textbooks? I can't remember seeing it in the ANO or AIP...

Wazzoo
14th Jan 2007, 22:45
That is absolutely correct. As far as I know, the JAA photocromic 'ban' is aimed at lenses that go from 'clear' to 'dark'.

Serengeti lenses only go from 'dark' to 'darker'.
[...]
HTH,

B73

Helps a lot! :ok: Its what I suspected and what Phone Wind was getting at I think, but wasn't sure for certain that was the reasoning.

As for the what the JAA says on it...not much! Even the HP&L text book I have only says 'generally forbidden' and other articles (not from the JAA) I've read online say they are discouraged, but never seen anything to say they are completely banned or words to that effect.

Wazzoo
8th Feb 2007, 00:43
Not wishing to stir the proverbial nest but I did come across an article on sunglasses for pilots that might be an interesting read relating to the Serengetis. They don't say they are bad but there are things that people should be aware of when using them and for that matter other sunglasses.

http://www.aoa.org/x5349.xml

Sierra Hotel
11th Apr 2007, 19:55
Hi all,
Have trawled through this thread attempting to work out which sunglasses would be best. I fly gliders and light aircraft, soon to go onto PPL, and hoping to go into aviation as a career (only 16). General consensus seems to be NOT Ray Bans. I like the look of the Aviators from Serengetti, but am yet to try them out. I have however tried some Oakleys with orange lense, which seem effective. So:
What would be best for general aviation. I'm looking for something to which will last me throught PPL and UAS for as long as possible, preferably in the classic aviator design. Do not need perscripted lenses of any kind.
Thanks
a somewhat confused :\ Sam :confused:

bleetman
13th Apr 2007, 06:00
Previously, I wrote about the new optical outlet for aviators at Coventry. I must declare an interest in this as I'm one of the directors. However, we put this together as no-one seems to be doing this for aviators. We have set up a facility to deal specifically with the visual requirements for pilots. We have built a flight deck on which we simulate all types of flying conditions as part of the eye examination (night, snow on the ground, IMC and bright VMC. This includes very bright conditions so that people can try out different types of sunglasses and see how each type measures up when confronted with a bright environment with different VMC conditions projected on a screen. Our customers can see how different lenses fare when trying to see little white gliders against a backdrop of clouds. The effect is really very good and helps people assess the efffectiveness of diffrent sunglasses in different glare conditions before they buy. We stock Serengeti, Oakley, Bolle and others. To clarify a few points - polarised lenses are discouraged, photochromic lenses are also discouraged. The military recommend neutral grey tints, helicopter pilots and many VFR pilots seem to prefer yellow tints as subjectively these provide better contrast definition. We're at Coventry Airport

ZK-Brock
23rd Apr 2007, 06:11
Could someone recommend some reasonably inexpensive flying glasses? I'm a PPL student without much money to spend on such things. Would prefer something around no more than $75 US dollars.

ILSTOMIN
25th Apr 2007, 17:58
This may seem like a stupid question, but I am a little bit confused here.

Is photochromic lenses and polarized glasses the same thing?.
I'm looking to buy some glasses in the near future.

thanks.

Phone Wind
27th Apr 2007, 05:39
Yes, it's a stupid question. read the thread and go to Google to find the difference, then make sure you don't buy photocromic or polarised sunglasses for flying :ugh:

michaelthewannabe
27th Apr 2007, 16:13
Thanks for the informative and useful thread.

After reading the thread and browsing the High Street, I found the Oakley Crosshair (http://oakley.com/pd/2064/5612) is quite excellent:

huge unobstructed field of view
arms with kinks to lie flat against the head, so comfortable underneath a headset
usual Oakley optical quality and frame qualityI have a mild prescription - "spectacles advisable but not mandatory", it says on my Class 2 visual examination report. I got them with the plain grey (18% transmission) lens, and I'm very impressed. Good value at £240, too. I think they're about £140 without prescription lenses.

Sheriftoma
16th Jan 2009, 17:14
Hi guys,
I wanted to see your opinion about which sunglasses you would all recommend for both flying and driving. I don't want to spend a million dollars on 2 pairs but I was looking at the VedaloHD sunglasses and they seem to work well for flying but Im not sure if they would have the same performance in the car (ie dark enough). Im willing to pay a good amount of money for them but I just wnat ones that would also not give me a headache (titanium would be ideal since my headset wouldn't push on them giving me a headache).
What do you all think? :hmm:

Sherif

D O Guerrero
29th Jan 2009, 12:16
I think there's still a lot of useful information in this thread. But if you want my advice, I find the Seregetti Veolcities to be great in this respect (with brown drivers' lenses). I use them for driving and flying (with LCD screens) - what I particularly like is the comfort when they are on for long periods. The arms are flat so they don't feel awkward under your headset and they are super light, despite the glass lenses.
I've tried many different sunglasses - Rayban, Bloc, Oakley etc and none come close in my opinion.

flyingdoc682
1st Feb 2009, 22:00
As someone in the business of Aviation Medicine, Hawk's post is an excellent summary of the current recommendations. The original work was done by an Australian Opthalmologist, John Colvin, when he worked at NASA. The results of the studies are published in the journals Aerospace Medicine and Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine. Do a medline search.

Summary of specifications: Large thin titanium frames for field of view
Polycarbonate lenses
Neutral density Gray Green tint
15% transmission of light

Asrian
7th Apr 2009, 07:49
Hi,
I need to wear corrective glasses and am also looking for good sunglasses to wear when flying.

Question:
Can I get serengetis drivers gradient lenses with the right correction for my eyes or are they non-corrective lenses only?

In summer I'm going to London for a couple days. Is there an optician You can recommend, at Stansted airport or elsewhere in London, who stocks them and who has experience with pilots sunglasses?

Checkboard
13th Apr 2009, 12:08
I know some of this has been posted before, under other names, but as I wrot e the original, I thought I would copy the full text here.

Sunnies again! This has been on a few times over the board in various forums, here is a comment I have posted before, most recently in the "Questions" forum, under Serengeti sunglasses in the UK? (http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/For...ML/001437.html)

There are several reasons to wear sunglasses. It is generally accepted that glare is harmful to the eye and that protection from glare is therefore therapeutic, even though studies show that only 22% of the population reacts adversely to glare. For these people the pupils are nearly pinpoints under such exposure. Diminished retinal luminescence cause measurable visual decrements and sunglasses will improve this visual acuity problem by counteracting the amount of available light. Conversely another 11% are at the opposite end of the sensitivity spectrum, these people actually have improved acuity under high glare conditions and seem to have no need for sunglasses.

It is not necessary to wear lenses inside the aircraft to protect a pilot from the injurious part of the UV spectrum, because canopy or cockpit windows will also block UV-B. (Acrylics, however, will not block UV effects and Ultra light or open-cockpit flyers will need sunnies.) UV-C is absorbed by the atmospheric ozone and is not supposed to reach the earth. Infrared rays (as in a heated cockpit) are not known to be a eye hazard.

Sunglasses are therefore essential for most pilots in order to cope with glare. The most important consideration for sunglasses is that they reduce glare without affecting vision. Lenses should not be too dark and the standards given for pilots is that they transmit at least 15 per cent of incident light. The tint must be "Neutral density" (ND) which means that it doesn't affect colour perception. The recommended tint for aviation sunglasses is therefore ND15. (This is the US military specification standard for aviators sunglasses and tinted visors, and may have its scientific origins in a 'best guess scenario' more than fifty years ago.) Only sunglasses that conform to the Australian standards should be worn . Those marked "specific purpose sunglasses" are recommended.

Pilots who wear prescription sunglasses may either wear clip-on lenses or they can get their prescription sunglasses made with ND15 lenses. Clip-ons have the advantage of being easy to remove when there is a quick change from light to dark conditions.

If you chose to have your prescription lens made with a tint then it is essential to have another pair of untinted lenses for night and low glare flying. Pilots who wear look-overs are advised to use bifocals instead and then wear clip-ons.

There are two main materials, crown glass and a plastic known as CR39. A very tough poly carbonate lens material is also available. All three lens materials are acceptable. CR39 and polycarbonate have these advantages : highly impact resistant; light weight; and low thermal conductivity and thus less liable to fogging.

CR39 is more vulnerable to surface damage than glass and CR39 lenses must be carefully protected from scratching. CR39 can be obtained with an abrasion-resistant coating to reduce its susceptibility to surface damage.

Polaroid lenses should be left in your boat. (Everybody has one right ) Their chief attribute is that quality Polaroid lenses will completely eliminate glare coming from a flat surface that is of an angle of approximately 53%. A pilot wearing Polaroid lenses sees the world as constantly changing according to his (or her) angle of bank, as the angle of the glare is altered.

Liquid crystal displays work by electrically controlling filtered polarised light, the crystal is orientated by electric current, so as to polarised light to either pass through or be blocked by a polarised filter. All light emitted from LCD screens is therefore polarised, and cannot penetrate a polarised lens if that lens is orientated 90 degrees to the light - so any LCD may appear blank with polarised lenses on, and looking through a polarised window can result in no view at all!

Lens colors are seen in different ways: Green or grey are said to give the least color distortion, and are available in combination. Yellow has the capability of filtering reflected short-wave blue which is found in air contaminants such as fog, haze, smoke or smog. In certain conditions therefore yellow "blue blockers" can improve visual acuity, but not because they protect from glare. Yellow lenses that cut out more than 30% of ambient light can affect color perception and military pilots complain that depth perception is altered. Brown, if it is not too dark, will enhance contrast as well as doing a modicum of blue-blocking. Rose also increases contrast and blue-blocking offering a niche in car use.

In summary, aviators' sunglasses should: be glass or polycarbonate; transmit not less than 25% of available light; not distort colors, distances or shapes; nullify the blurring effect of short-wave reflected blue; have their adverse effect on visual acuity well understood; and not be worn under conditions of diminished light.

As an aside, I bought a pair of glass Serengettis with a brown tint for nearly $AUD300. I didn't like the weight of the glass lens at all, and the brown tint, while it was good for glare, made the green information on EFIS a little hard to see when I transistioned to EFIS. In addition the inside of the lens was highly relfective, so as I was sitting in shadow (in the cockpit) looking out at a bright field (like a cloud deck from above) they gave me a perfect image of my eyes looking back at me (reflected from the inside of the lens). That was difficult to ignore. I now fly with a pair of $AUD15 plastic sunnies I bought from a Chemist and I am much happier with them.

In Australia pilots may claim one pair of sunnies per year at tax time.

sources:
-CAA (Australia) Aviation Safety Digest (ASD) 150 (1991)
-ASD 136 (Autumn 1998)
-ASD 133
-CASA's Flight Safety Australia (Sept. 1997)

Copies of all of these articles are available for free if you contact (Australia'a CASA or BASI)

jonburf
13th Apr 2009, 14:43
Oakleys without a doubt. would reccomend the blue lens tint for IMC and in haze but not polarzing lenses.
with them it's is easeir to pick up features in haze and so on. I ware a set of Titanium Juliet's.
I bought them when i read an article many years ago, that showed a range of sunglasses on some kind of refraction device. It showed that the optics of the Oakley lens were far better than any competition, not to mention better UV blocking etc.

PPRuNeUser0161
14th Apr 2009, 00:38
I use the serengeti Pilot #1 7160 with driver gradient lenses and cable temples. Perfect in all ways except the lense color. They should be neutral grey for best color perception, thus my next set will not be serri's unless they address this issue!

I find it is almost impossible to tell the difference between yellow and green on the LCD flight displays with them on.

SN

lpokijuhyt
14th Apr 2009, 09:22
I wear Blue-Blockers. I purchased them at the "As seen on T.V." shop in the shopping mall. Not only are they great sunglasses, it drives all the ladies insane!:ok:

eltonioni
14th Apr 2009, 16:07
Oakley Crosshair for me with brown to clear tint. Nice contrast and instruments / screens as clear as a bell. The kinked arms prevent any sound leakage around the headset.

Siazo
22nd May 2009, 06:54
So I'm looking at either buying some ray bans or serengeti's for flying, having read this I am not clear as to whether serengeti's colour enhancement, which is present in their brown drivers lenses, are as effective for flying as a neutral density say like the G15. I get the impression that the data says they are not, but I don't understand why, if a greater amount of difference is being perceived between colours isn't this better than having typical perception?

Further is their much or any difference between a rayban B15 lens and a serengeti drivers lens?

Thanks

q100
28th May 2009, 00:14
Very happy with my Serengeti Drivers Gradient Velocity glasses. Bought a replacement pair after excessive abusing of the first one. Do not see any issues with photochromic lenses, especially because I tend not to wear them at night :ugh:

Q.

crazyguy306
28th Jun 2009, 15:56
hi i have read all the post in the thread "the best sunglasses for pilot" and it came out a question for me.

Is the serengeti polarmax lens suitable for pilot to use? as they are made of polycarbonate instead of glass which i think is more safe to use for fly.
thanks a lot

Saab Dastard
28th Jun 2009, 16:14
hi i have read all the post in the thread "the best sunglasses for pilot"

So how did you miss the bits about not using polarising sunglasses?

serengeti polarmax
There's a clue in the name.

SD

10th Dec 2009, 14:47
Are there actually any shops where you can go in and try on Serengeti's before buying?

None of the sunglasses or opticians ive been to stock them. They only seem to be available online but I want to see the fit before spending €100+!
:8

MyIDisthis
22nd Dec 2009, 20:50
Hi, I need some new sunglasses and want to buy the right ones from the start. So, what I would like to know is what type of lenses that are most appropriate for flying? I'll buy Ray Bans, should they be Green ( G15 ) or Brown ( B15 )? From what I understand the difference is that if you're using green lenses the colors are more natural, while brown I guess gives you sharper color/edges?

Finally polarized or not? Polarized take away glare ( which is the main reason to why I need new ones ) but might disort the image when looking at LCD screens. To be able to fly/drive while the sun is low I guess polarized are better, or will non polarized perform as good in those conditions?

Anyone who knows something I'll be happy to hear it.

K.Whyjelly
23rd Dec 2009, 00:01
May I humbly suggest you look a little further down this forum where this thread lurks..............

http://www.pprune.org/medical-health/108305-best-pilot-sunglasses.html

MyIDisthis
23rd Dec 2009, 14:03
Thanks, I appreciate it. How could I miss that..?

teresa green
29th Dec 2009, 10:59
May I, as a Old fella, flying for 49 years, request that you do two things. (One) a pair of sunnies that REALLY protect your eyes from the sun to stop terigians forming (and they will) and (two) I dont care if you fly in Iceland, do NOT take off without a 30plus sunscreen on your arms and face. To go to a pilots reunion in this country (Australia) is like going to a Skin specialists surgery, everybody with pieces taken out of them, and a lot with eye problems. We did not know the danger, you younger blokes and girls do. Learn from us.

disco87
14th Apr 2010, 10:32
I've read this thread and I was wondering if there was a need to avoid polarised lenses for PPL flying. I'm about to start my PPL and I am looking for some sunglasses. Obviously I won't be in a glass cockpit so the problems associated with these lenses won't be an issue. So, for the types of aircraft and flying that I’ll be undertaking would it be possible to take a pair of sunglasses to the opticians and have them put in any type of prescription lens.

Thanks

Ixixly
14th Apr 2010, 10:44
Thought i'd throw my 2cents in. Just recently bought a pair of Serengettis. The lenses are Photochromatic (Adjust to lighting conditions), Drivers Gradient (Which is their own brown colour lenses) and have their S Flex arms as well.

These are the best sunglasses I have ever worn and have everyone i've leant them to so far has agreed, they've even earned the nickname "The Rose Tinted Glasses", the world literally becomes a brighter, sharper, clearer place when worn. The Photochromatic lenses adjust without you even noticing allowing you to walk from a dark hangar straight out into direct sunlight with no problems at all. They wrap around nicely stopping sunlight coming in from the sides and above and below and with the S Bend arms they are incredibly comfy.

Admittedly they are expensive, but if you go to the right places and mention your a pilot and certainly in Australia you can mention you have Private Health Care they'll give a hefty discount, I got mine with 20% off from Sunglass Hut by mentioning both those facts allowing me to purchase them for only $336AUD.

If you don't mind the price tag, I highly recommend these, but be sure to get the non-polarised ones, which are actually a bit cheaper as well.

AND NO, I don't work for Serengetti or any other related company before anyone asks :}

DX Wombat
14th Apr 2010, 14:38
Go get any frames you like But make sure they are wrap-around so you have proper side protection too.

BladePilot
14th Apr 2010, 16:30
Serengeti's are fantastic. Can be bought in Dubai at festival city or Abu Dhabi at Carrefour on Airport Road. 108.9 if you want a pair PM me and I'll deliver them to Dublin on next visit!

Blade

PushCentreCommand
14th Apr 2010, 19:48
Large Ray Ban aviators with Driver (appear smokey brown) lenses. Look a little 'Tom Cruise' and old fashioned, but they are perfect for flying in any weather.

Leezyjet
16th Apr 2010, 13:33
I've just got a set of Mile High sunglasses. Tried them out the other day and they were excellent. They all come with a range of inter changeable lenses so are suitable for all light conditions.

Removed commercial link

I got the "aviate" ones as I need prescription lenses, and if needed I can quickly flip up the front - but without them looking like old man geeky flip front glasses. I can also take the optical lenses out and just use them normally if I have my contacts in too, so don't need to lug 2 pairs around.

I got the optical lenses with an anti reflective coating, and the total cost was much less then many of the more "trendy" pilot's sunglasses, with fixed single colour lenses !!.

:D

DutchBird-757
16th Apr 2010, 21:11
Best one? Don't know, but I can stronglhy recommend the one I'm using.
The Serengeti Velocity 6692 with Driver Gradient Lenses. I love them. Good in all weather conditions and easy/light to wear all day. No problems with headsets either.

Note: OpticsPlanet.net 2009 Brilliance Awards Expert Choice Winner: Best Men's Sunglasses :ok:

beamer
17th Apr 2010, 09:14
At the rate I sit on them or simply lose them I would heartily recommend cheap ones:E

mick e
27th Apr 2010, 09:42
I feel stupid asking this but... I have a pair of Serengeti Velocity sunnies and for a reason that escapes me I unscrewed one of the tiny screws that holds the arm to the rest of them.

Now I can't get it back in! I tried for about 30 minutes before throwing them in the draw, 6 months later I had another go with no luck. Has anyone else had this problem? I will just take them somewhere to get them repaired but I just thought I would mention it here.

Dimiair
14th Jun 2010, 14:28
2 year ago I purchased a pair of Serengeti Velocity 6935 with Drivers lenses. They are by far the best SG to use in EFIS equipped aircraft in all kind of weather. I wear them all the way down in LVO and they are magic in revealing the first runway contours and approach lightning. I'm confident they can be the difference between c.o.n.t.a.c.t. and Go-Around! The lenses are scratch-resistant and survive 1,5 year daily use. Best value for money.

Basil
15th Jun 2010, 13:02
I've posted the following several times - reposted for your interest:

I have a pair of Varilux type prescription specs which I had made with a graduated neutral tint of 75% reduction (#2) from about the top third rapidly graduating to fully clear on the med/short range portion and they work very well. The tint seems at first not to block much light but for traffic detection it should not be any denser. I've just checked them and a pair of company issue RayBans with my camera exposure meter and they both give a 2 stop reduction; I think that's 75%

The following is an interesting article which I have in a flight safety magazine but cannot find on the web:

Pilots' sunglasses: mystique or mandate? By: Dully FE, Jr.
Formerly Field Associate Professor of Aviation Safety, Institute of Safety & Systems management, University of Southern California.

The salient points are as follows: (Mr Dully's views, not mine)

1. Use glass or polycarbonate; not soft plastic which does not block UV.
2. For traffic/target detection: no darker than number 2 which blocks 70% of light; i.e. transmits 30%.
3. Wearing Brown #2 a 20/20 (UK 6/6) remains almost 20/20. Looking for traffic, the pilot should remove them. A US Naval report found that tinted visor wearers were at a 1.8nm disadvantage in target acquisition!
4. Green or grey are said to give the least colour distortion.
Brown will enhance contrast and block some blue.
Yellow #1 (i.e. colour filters, not sunglasses) can enhance visibility in low level poor vis caused by smog.
5. As soon a light levels/glare, drops remove sunglasses.
6. Photochromatic lenses are not suitable for aviation use nor are polarisers.

excelflight
4th May 2011, 01:18
I'm looking at purchasing a pair of Smith Serpica's.. Good decision? Are mirror lenses a bad idea?

newcadet23
9th Jun 2011, 06:54
I am aware that there a few topics regarding this matter but they are a bit outdated in my opinion. I would thus like to start a new topic.

Can someone please kindly recommend me which brands provide the best sunglasses for aviators. I have heard that Serengeti and Ray Bans are the best two. But since I will be spending a lot of money on a pair I want to get the best. So can someone please recommend me one! thanks!!

cavortingcheetah
9th Jun 2011, 07:58
This should shed light on the matter.

Sunglasses for Pilots

There are many types of sunglasses available, but no single type is ideal for every pilot. Needs change based on age, light sensitivity, ambient lighting conditions and type of flying. Some sunglasses are not right for any pilot at any time. Valid reasons for wearing sunglasses in the aviation environment include improved night vision adaptation, enhanced contrast in the visual field, reduced glare, decreased UV exposure and avoidance of eye fatigue. Though style and appearance may be a consideration, the safety conscious pilot should focus on the proper selection of lens features rather than frame styles with cheap lenses.

Visual acuity varies with the light available and the sensitivity of an individual to various degrees of brightness. The pupil controls the amount of light reaching the retina. Older individual's eyes do not transmit as much light through the eye as younger people do. Therefore, many older individuals need more light for optimum acuity. They may want to use sunglasses that transmit more light. On high glare days, such as over snow or sand, the pupils contract to protect the eye from the glare. Sunglasses will reduce glare and allow the pupil to let more light on to the retina, thus enhancing vision.

Sunglasses for Pilots - Glare

Glare can also be caused by indirect blue wavelength light and UV light. UV light increases by 4% for every 1,000 feet of altitude and contributes to the blue colour of the sky. Some researchers feel this can cause a haziness on the retina decreasing visual acuity even when indirectly viewed. Fortunately, most windscreens eliminate much of this wavelength. Near sunrise and sunset, the atmosphere filters out this wavelength giving the sky its characteristic red-orange colour. Yellow lenses, often called "blue blockers" will block out this wavelength also and may improve vision on a hazy day. They may present decreased perception of some cockpit displays, however.

Sunglasses for Pilots - Tinted lenses

Tinted lenses distort colours to some extent. The yellow shaded "blue blockers" will alter colour perception if tinted enough to block out 30% of the light. Thus, these lenses should be used only by aviators on bright, hazy days and avoided in low light situations. Green and grey lenses have the least distorting effect on colour vision. Brown distorts colours slightly more, but can block some of the blue light blurring in haze.

Sunglasses for Pilots - Darkness

Darkness or degree of light reduction is calculated in percentage and listed by numbers. A #1 lens blocks only 20% of the incoming light and has little value for aviators. The exception may be the #1 Yellow lenses for hazy or smog filled days. The #2 lens blocks 70% of light and are useful for most aviation situations. It provides a balance of glare protection, luminescence reduction and UV protection without significantly reducing visual acuity. The light reduction of #3 (85%) may be useful for those pilots particularly sensitive to bright light while others may find the #3 lens reduces visual acuity. The #4 lens blocks out 95% of incoming light and significantly reduces visual acuity because the macula, where sharpest vision is found on the retina, requires light to activate the cones of the retina. Aviators wearing these lenses in flight will not meet FAA minimum distant visual acuity standards.

Sunglasses for Pilots - Mirrored glasses

Mirrored glasses use metal particles to reflect images. They scratch easily and can cause distortion or blind spots. While popular for Hollywood movie pilots, professional pilots should leave them to actors, policemen and other imitators.

Sunglasses for Pilots - Photochromatic lenses

Photochromatic lenses increase darkness when exposed to UV light. Because aircraft windscreens block most UV light, the lenses will not darken substantially inside an airplane or car. The military prohibits its pilots from using these sunglasses for good reason. Pilots flying open cockpit airplanes are the only ones who may benefit from this feature.
Sunglasses for Pilots - Gradient lenses

Gradient lenses usually have a darker tint on the upper portion of the lens and a gradually lightening color near the bottom. This may be useful when trying to view instruments on a very bright day. The lighter tinting below allows more light from the relatively dark instrument panel to reach the retina and improve visual acuity while blocking out the glare from the outside view.
Sunglasses for Pilots - UV protection

UV protection is desirable for lenses worn outdoors, although it is not as important for glasses worn inside the aircraft since this wavelength is already blocked by the windscreen. Glass and polycarbonate block nearly all of the UV-B light. Soft plastic lenses may block visible light but not block any UV wavelengths. The hazard for cataract formation in the individual using soft plastic lenses is increased because the pupil dilates in response to decreased visible light. The dilated pupil allows more UV light to enter and penetrate the lens increasing the risk of cataracts.

Sunglasses for Pilots - Scratch resistant coating

Scratch resistant coating may increase the life of polycarbonate lenses and plastic lenses. Ironically, polycarbonate will withstand direct hammer strikes without breaking, but scratches relatively easily. Glass will shatter, but is more resistant to scratching. Polycarbonate lenses are thinner and lighter than glass lenses.

Sunglasses for Pilots - Polarized lenses

Polarized lenses should not be worn by pilots in the cockpit. Glare from flat surfaces is blocked by polarized lenses which are oriented in parallel lines like closely spaced prison bars. Light parallel to the lines is transmitted while non-parallel light (glare) is blocked. Unfortunately, if the windscreen is polarized and the lenses are not precisely oriented the same as the windscreen, all light may be blocked. Changing bank angle and head position could create blind spots. For those who are boating and need glare protection from light reflected off the water, polarized lenses are excellent choices.

Sunglasses for Pilots - What we recommend

What we recommend: On bright days, consider using a neutral tint (green or grey) glass or polycarbonate lens that blocks 70-90% of the incoming light, possibly with a gradient that lightens on the lower portion of the lens. On a hazy or smog filled day, consider a yellow or brown lens that blocks 20% of the light, but avoid using it if colour perception (IFR flight), as opposed to visual acquisition (VFR flight), is important.

The military has found that some fighter pilots prefer the "high contrast" yellow visors for their helmets to enhance target acquisition, while others prefer not to wear yellow visors. At dusk or in lighting that is comfortable without sunglasses, remove them to increase visual acuity. Don't use polarized or photochoromatic lenses in the cockpit. Don't waste your money on soft plastic lenses or mirrored lenses. Scratch resistant coating may increase the life of polycarbonate lenses.

For additional information, please see the July-August 2002 Flight Safety Foundation article on "For Pilots, Sunglasses Are Essential in Vision Protection" and the Fall 2003 article from the Federal Air Surgeon's Medical Bulletin on "Sunglasses in Aviation: A Primer for Pilots" by Mr. Montgomery and Dr. Nakagawara of the FAA Vision Research Institute.

Optimum Vision and Eye Protection And Visual Acuity (http://www.pilotfriend.com/aeromed/medical/optimum_vision.htm)

9th Jun 2011, 08:06
I've got a bit of a soft spot for sunglasses myself, and have had this conversation many times over.

Avoid polarised - For VFR flying the polarisation stops the glint and glare from anything horizontally polarising light. This includes water (from lakes and rivers which might otherwise be very useful for navigation), some runway lighting, and other aircraft (useful to see them so you don't hit them).
Some argue that polarising also affects visibility of 'glass' instrument panels and also visibility through some windshields which are polarised also. Having never flown with polarised glasses and glass cockpit at the same time I couldn't comment either way, but best to check if possible before you buy if you do get polarised.

Thin frames - If you wear an 'over the head' headset then you'll want something with thin frames. Very thin frames. Ray Bans aviators, Serengeti, and Oakley wire frames all work. The more sporty types of Oakleys are't suitable at all, but the brands you mentioned don't seem to style anything like those anyway.

Try them on! - You'll be wearing them a lot. Don't get something that looks amazing but isn't comfortable after half an hour under the headset.

Good coverage lenses - This doesn't always mean aviator style glasses, but you do want a pair which have a good coverage over the likely places you'll be looking. You won't want a thin lair of lenses which let glare through around them when you pop out of cloud. try them on and move your head around all over the place whilst looking at one point - Do the lenses change colour or tint, or are there any large uncovered areas?

Neutral coloured lenses - Try to find a lens with neutral coloured lens. Anything with a grey base is a good bet. The reason for this is that you will want good colour perception. Whilst the fancy coloured lenses look good, if they are a red/blue/green base then colours will become distorted, probably not best for the runway lights when landing into a sunset eh? This isn't to say you can't have a fancy lens colour, just check the lens base colour first!

Avoid Transistions lenses - They don't work for aviation! Some windshields are polarised and UV blocking, which stops the transitions from... well... transitioninging :uhoh: This means you could be flying in brilliant sunshine, with no tint at all. If they do work in your aircraft, then they will not be able to keep with the changing light (think how often you look down at the fuel guage, or the map/plog/AI etc). They are really not recommended, and I would avoid them completely.

Hope this helps,

malirm
9th Jun 2011, 15:44
Guys, I use the American Optics original Pilot sunglasses...though a little heavy, but has a Superb clarity, specially in IFR CAT I approached :D ...I used Ray Bans before that, they're light, but quiet expensive, there are alots of great brands out there...just make sure that you meet the requirements mentioned by your Issuing License Aviation Authority :)

Happy Flights :ok:

Captain_Scooby
4th Aug 2014, 23:37
I noted a few posts up that grey/green lenses were recommended.

I've been looking at the Serengeti Velocity and Sortie ranges, leaning towards the Velocity, but the lenses are all brown. Has anyone had any issues with the colour of the lenses in these sunnies?

Cheers

Camargue
6th Aug 2014, 11:25
you can buy sortie in 555nm which is green.

I use volterra in drivers and have no problems at all.

flyboy_nz
7th Aug 2014, 06:15
Now I can't get it back in! I tried for about 30 minutes before throwing them in the draw, 6 months later I had another go with no luck. Has anyone else had this problem? I will just take them somewhere to get them repaired but I just thought I would mention it here.

Yep, this issue pops up every year with my velocities. I just take them with me to a mall and have them tighten the screws again. But worth the pain, cos they are stunning glasses.