PDA

View Full Version : Flightwatch building evac

compressor stall
9th Nov 2003, 08:25
Was trying to contact flightwatch yesterday Friday at around 0300 UTC to establish two ways comms before landing in the middle of nowhere.

Centre advised that the building had been evacuated and that noone was listening to the radios! :eek: She told me the reason, but I did not catch the reason.

Can someone enlighten me please?

They returned not long after so it worked OK in the end.

Cheers!

Sheep Guts
9th Nov 2003, 08:31
Maybe a Crazy Guy from the Phillipino Aviation Authority was on a tour there :):p

Sheep

the wizard of auz
9th Nov 2003, 12:53
maybe someone farted. :}
happens at the pub round here. ;)

OzExpat
9th Nov 2003, 14:18
Nobody can clear a bar as fast as you wiz! :p

Jamitupyr
9th Nov 2003, 17:18
Was talking to a former FSO who related a true story of how the Perth FSC was evacuated due to a fart!! but seriously, I understand that the Flightwatch was partially evacuated when fire alarms went off - some maintenance work generated some smoke. The question arises, what does anyone do if there was a real and catestrophic fire?? - they'd be off the air for months probably - shades of "all the eggs in the one basket" methinks.

Icarus2001
10th Nov 2003, 05:17
The question to be put to AirNoServices management(?) is what is their contingency plan should BN or ML TAAATS centre be evacuated or rendered inoperable. The answer you invariably get is that the "other" centre can take some load. Yeah sure, with ATCOs who are not current on the sector they have to control. How long would it take to move officers from one centre to the other?

SM4 Pirate
10th Nov 2003, 08:14
I think the plan is three days to be ready to resume limited business in BN or ML; techs do all the configuring while the staff are travelling on the bus, but who exactly is it that would travel...

compressor stall
10th Nov 2003, 11:12
Three days? Three f:mad:ing days??? Please tell me you are joking.

How the :mad: do the hundreds of aircraft operating out bush cancel SAR? Are the pilots who are the lifeline of 95% of our country and their SLF not worth considering?

Affordable safety? My friggin ar$e.

topdrop
11th Nov 2003, 07:27
Not only have we concentrated nearly everything to the 2 centres, AsA still want to concentrate the TCUs to ML and BN as well. They probably want to put all the Towers there, but haven't managed to get powerful enough binoculars as yet.
Beancounters rule. sigh!!

Pinky the pilot
11th Nov 2003, 11:29
Does tend to make one remember somewhat fondly the days of the friendly, helpful FSO in the various FSUs which were scattered around the countryside.
Alas, no more!:{
I still have somewhere in amongst various bits and pieces a wad of flight plan forms across the cover of which had been written...
'Stolen from Ceduna FSU'

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.