PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth 'Dongle' - D-Link DBT120: UPDATE FOR WINXP SP2

BOAC
9th Nov 2003, 04:51
Has anyone who uses AOL installed one of these? I put it on a dualboot W98/W2000 system and it blew my AOL connection out of the water! Although I could connect to AOL there was no through connection to any internet or email server.

D-link helpline told me to download 19mb of the driver zipfile (56k dialup!!) and when I unzipped it I found it was an older version than on the installation CD.:*

Only way out after various 'fixes' was a reformat C: and reinstall W98. It has also thrown my W2000 AOL connection out.

AOL no help on this one ("talk to D-link") and D-Link pretty useless.

Help!

Timothy
9th Nov 2003, 05:20
Not much help, but my 3-com BlueTooth PCMCIA card plugged and played in both W2K and WXP with no problem at all...it just works.

It's also better than other cards because it has no external protrusions (it does have retractable aerial, but you can leave it retracted and it works.)

It was also one of only two things that survived my ditching in the Tay Estuary...the other being a gold tie pin!

W

BOAC
9th Nov 2003, 22:09
Thanks, W, really glad I bought this one!!

For anyone contemplating buying a D-Link BT adaptor, be warned. Not only did it mess up my internet connections on both W98 and 2000 (AOL and another), but the uninstall programme leave a heap of stuff on the drive and in the registry, and does not appear to remove either the new comms ports it installs nor the new 'modems'. So far D-Link tech support gets 1/10.

:*

BOAC
19th Oct 2005, 15:55
UPDATE:

In case anyone else is having trouble with getting this device to run in WinXP SP2, check this Dlink info (ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dbt120_revB4/QIG/WinXP_ServicePack2/dbt120_InstallationGuide_winxpsp2.pdf) - found with great difficulty and thanks Google!!