PDA

View Full Version : Little icons

four_two
9th Nov 2003, 03:12
Compared to many problems here, this is just small beer perhaps- but irritating.
I’m using IE6, and when I save a web site to my favourites folder, it usually comes with a nice little icon/ picture as part of the URL. This is really handy and makes it stand out and easy to select a site by remembering which icon belongs to the site you want. The problem is after I’ve shut my computer down, it loses the distinguishing icon and reverts to the bog standard Microsoft icon, that little blue e. I’ve tried to find out what it can be by visiting various sites, but no luck.
Has any one got any suggestions that will help ( no, I’m not ready to try Opera just yet:) )
Thanks

amanoffewwords
9th Nov 2003, 04:11
That sounds like the favicon.ico feature - more about this here (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/Author/dhtml/howto/ShortcutIcon.asp).

Not sure why you're losing them but my system is doing the same as yours - could be a security feature since favicons were/are suspected of being linked to spyware type activities. Though I think the problem does not occur if you drag the site to your links toolbar. :confused:

hth, a little
amofw

four_two
10th Nov 2003, 03:33
Thank you both for the quick response.
FavOrg is the programme which appears to do the trick. Apparently, when you clear out your Temporary Internet Files it also resets the icons to the Microsoft emblem (blue "e") This programme is meant to preserve them.
By the way it wasn't easy to find a free download site ( although it's supposed to be freeware) PC Magazine want you to pay $19.95 for the privilege!

Tinstaafl
10th Nov 2003, 07:00
What about forcing XP to use only Win98 style icons?

Even removing the awful WinXP default scheme doesn't eliminate the the bloody awful XP icons. Horrible blurry, garish things.

Don't get me started on the word 'My' that M$ is addicted to "Click on your my(insert any noun here)" :rolleyes:

RadarContact
10th Nov 2003, 21:43
I found that when I use Send/Shortcut to Desktop with the pages concerned and then save all those shortcuts to a folder of their own (say, "My WebIcons") they will usually be maintained. :)

Tinstaafl
11th Nov 2003, 04:00
Ta, TCS. Already done all those. Still doesn't solve the underlying problem: Force XP to replace ALL XP style icons with Win98 ones. I truly loathe the whole WinXP theme.