PDA

View Full Version : headsets

ossie_lation
8th Nov 2003, 18:09
Christmas is coming. PPL(H) is coming along and thinking about my own headset. Anyone got any recommendations bearing in mind would like to continue to commercial but don't have bags of cash!

Backontrack
10th Nov 2003, 15:35
Go to your pilot supplies shop and try some on first would be the best advice I could give, it's amazing the different feel you get from different manufacturers headsets. Make a choice of fit and then perhaps take a look on E-bay, there are always headsets advertised on there, you may save yourself £100 or so and still get one less than 12 months old.

AIRWAY
10th Nov 2003, 15:41
Hi there,

E-bay, a friend of mine who is doing the PPL was lucky enough to find a David Clark headset, second hand but it looked brand new not a single scratch. (I think it was £150).

I also use DC, and im very happy with them.

spudskier
10th Nov 2003, 20:46
TRY THEM ON!!! get ANR (active noise reduction) if you cna afford it, it's well worth it!!!

biggest issue is getting a pair through mail-order / web site and them being horribly uncomfortable.

Not sure if they sell them over there, but I have a pair of LightSpeed 15XLs with ANR (retail around $330) and I LOVE THEM!!! a bit bulky, but still very light weight, and I love the foam ear seals.

batty
11th Nov 2003, 01:00
I boiught a set of the light speed in the States 2 years ago and brought them back to the UK they are great!

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Nov 2003, 01:10
Gotta go for the Dave Clarks. I've found other headsets that won't work on some types of aircraft due to wiring/impedance/demonic possession but the DCs always come through 100%.

They cost a bit more than the average headset but last well and worth every penny. The company's been around for years so no spares hangups either.