PDA

View Full Version : PDA data transfer to other computer via CF card

GMS
7th Nov 2003, 22:51
I have a Dell Axim and would like some help regarding the transfer of data from it, to a computer in an internet cafe during my travels.

Am I correct in saying that I need a CF card and a CF card reader that I can then plug into the other computer? All I want to do is write e-mails on the Axim to later transfer to the internet cafe computer and send off.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

BayAreaLondoner
8th Nov 2003, 01:18
Pretty much. The Axim X5 has both CF and SD slots. I use an SD card for data transfer mostly because my laptop has an SD slot built-into it.
External card readers often support multiple flash cards so you could potentially use either CF or SD depending on your preference. These connect via USB.
What you need to watch out for is that the Internet cafe may not want you plugging things into their computers. Also depending on which operating system they are running, they may need a driver to be able to use the card reader, and if they do need a driver, the operating system may be "locked down" so that you are not able to install it.

Front_Seat_Dreamer
8th Nov 2003, 06:15
GMS

I use one of these (http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.asp?IMODULE=CTR2ADPU2) for similar purposes.

I would ask in at any cafe that you try but in my experience they are usually pretty helpful.

GMS
13th Nov 2003, 17:08
Many thanks for your help and advise.

GMS