PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Question

mumraa
7th Nov 2003, 21:32
quick question:

I have my ppl and am approaching the 150 hours needed to do the CPL. I am a little confused with the difference between the CPL and ATPL. Specifically, my question is this: Is there a different skill test for the ATPL & CPL?

I want to teach flying and am not terribly interested in being an airline pilot. However, I wouldnt rule it out so I would need the ATPL if I change my mind. If I decide to to the modular ATPL course, and end up with a frozen ATPL can I use this and a flight instructor rating to get a job as a (paid) flight instructor. (I know you can do the FI rating with just a ppl). I dont want to do the CPL/IR then have to another load of exams for the ATPL if yo know what i mean.

cheers

FlyingForFun
7th Nov 2003, 22:07
Mumraa,

Yes, from the sound of your post you are confused. I'll try to sort it out for you...

A CPL requires you to do the following (amongst other things): complete either the CPL exams or the ATPL exams, follow an approved CPL course (25 hours), pass a CPL skills test, and have 200hrs total time.

An ATPL requirs you to do the following (amongst other things): complete the ATPL exams, already have a CPL, already have an IR, and have 1500hrs total time of which at least 500hrs must be on a multi-pilot aircraft. There is no separate skills test for this license.

(An IR requires you to complete either the IR exams or the ATPL exams - I know you said you don't want an IR but bear with me and you'll see why I'm telling you this.)

The question which I think you are trying to ask, although you don't realise it, is whether you should do the CPL exams or the ATPL exams. Both of these will get you the CPL, which is what you actually want to do.

The easy answer is to do the CPL exams, since you don't need an IR.

There are, however, two very good reasons for doing the ATPL exams. The first of these is that there are very few schools which offer the CPL exams (because there isn't much demand for them), so you have more choice if you go for the ATPL exams.

The second reason is that, if you were to decide over the next few years that you do want an IR after all, with the ATPL exams you wouldn't have to do any more studying (the exam credits are valid for 3 years for the purpose of getting a CPL or an IR I think). On the other hand, if you were to do the CPL exams and then decide to do an IR, you would have to do the IR exams, which would duplicate a whole load of the work you've already done. Also, if you were to then go on to get an ATPL (very unlikely if you're instructing, admitedly) then you will need to do the ATPL exams as well. So altogether you may find yourself having to do some exams three times.

I hope that clears it up. I've deliberately not given you the detailed requirements for each license - I've kept it simple enough to clearly describe the differences between the licences and the exams. (And also I can't remember all the details exactly!) All of the details are in LASORS if you want to look them up.

FFF
----------------

mumraa
7th Nov 2003, 22:30
thanks FFF. That was a very helpful reply and makes things very much more clear for me. As you rightly say, it does make more sense to do the ATPL.

many thanks