PDA

View Full Version : Fuel colour question

tartan 42
7th Nov 2003, 20:50
Confused by my confuser ??

Aircraft General PPL Confuser Q)65 relates to correct label colour and colour of 100LL fuel. The following are the choices:

a) label RED, fuel colour BLUE
b) label BLACK, fuel colour RED
c) label BLUE, fuel colour STRAW

It gives the answer as a)....... is that right?

I thought AVGAS 100LL labels were BLUE, although I was not sure what the colour of the actual fuel was. Maybe I am wrong though.

I also thought that AVGAS 100 had a RED label.

So, I'm confused and would like the guidance of someone who knows.

ps - I'm only doing practice tests at this stage ready for taking the exam soon.

pps - I also think there might be another mistake in the confuser about using approach flaps..... I'll try and dig it out when I have more time.

Any help or guidance greatly received. Not got my Thom book with me to check it out.
T-42

FlyingForFun
7th Nov 2003, 21:16
100LL is blue, I'm surprised that you didn't know that since you should check it during pre-flight. Have to admit to not knowing the colour of the labels, but then I usually read the labels rather than just looking at their colours.

So I suspect that the Confuser answer is correct. Although if you were to spot a mistake in the Confuser, it wouldn't be the first time...

FFF
--------------

tartan 42
7th Nov 2003, 21:26
Thanks FFF,

Thinking about it, I recall the fuel colour being BLUE - just getting confused by the labelling I think. Are the labels different for AVGAS 100 and AVGAS 100LL ? Perhaps that is where I'm confused??

Regarding being 'surprised' about not knowing - no need. I'm in study phase only - not started flying yet (apart from a 1hr 'jolly' and some limited ATC experiences from years ago). I am going to the US next year to start flying. Thought it a good idea to start on the theory beforehand.

Apologies for what is probably a dumb question - If I had my Thom with me, I would have checked it out without making a right fool of myself on here !!

Thanks for clarification FFF.
T-42

XXXX

Further...... just checked CAP434. Label is RED, although it has a Blue vertical strip on the left. But I guess all you pilots new that already. So, Confuser is correct.

Looks like I have a lot more reading and learning to do before I go anywhere near an aircraft !!!!

Sorry for wasting your time with a stupid thread. If I knew how, I would delete the damn thing and hide in a hole somewhere !

T-42

FlyingForFun
7th Nov 2003, 22:12
Regarding being 'surprised' about not knowing - no need. I'm in study phase only - not started flying yet Ah - that makes sense then. My apologies for making an incorrect assumption, and always remember that there's no such thing as a stupid question, except for the one you don't ask.

FFF
---------------

A and C
8th Nov 2003, 17:25
Avgas 80/87 Red

Avgas 100/130 Green

Avgas 100LL Blue

Jet A1 almost clear

andyb79
8th Nov 2003, 20:08
is the other question you mention in the confuser on page 185 (Q14)

Q why is full flap selected during the approach and landing phase of a flight?

A The safe flying speed is increased and a flatter approach path
is achevied which improves vision

B The approach speed is reduced and a steeper approach path is
flown which improves vision

C The approach speed is reduced and a flatter approach path is
flown which improves vision

i would of said that the correct answer is B as the stalling speed is reduced and the aircraft will have more of a nose down attitude which will improve vision over the nose but the confuser gives the answer as C any explanations for this?

oh and jet A1 is straw colour but this isnt very obvious when you look at it

FJJP
9th Nov 2003, 16:50
Sorry for wasting your time with a stupid thread. If I knew how, I would delete the damn thing and hide in a hole somewhere !

Some years ago I was on a PPL course flying an Aircoupe on the final checkride pre-first solo. I just wasn't hacking it - everything was ok up to that point. I was so frustrated by my cr*p performance that I was almost in tears. I saw my first solo going down the tubes, with maybe a complete washout on the cards. However, my instructor took us out of the circuit, settled down straight and level in clear skies and started to discuss approach procedures. I can't remember the detail now, but he patiently answered half a dozen what I later realised were dumb fool questions that I should have known the answer to.

He told me to rejoin the circuit, I flew a few more, landed and he got out. That first solo was the most glorious event in my entire life, thanks to the Solomon wisdom of a WWII veteren.

FFF makes the most valid point anywhere on PPrune:

always remember that there's no such thing as a stupid question, except for the one you don't ask.

Me? I have just hung up my flying helmet after 36 years and 10,000 hours....

Mariner9
10th Nov 2003, 21:53
Actually Jet can be any colour between water-white and straw, dependant on the production process.

Strangely, there is no colour specification for Jet A-1, but there is for regular kerosene!

tartan 42
12th Nov 2003, 15:48
FFF and FJJP....... I appreciate your kind words and encouragement. In some ways it is good to do the theory before the practical but, in others, some obvious things don't easilly become apparent. I am consistently getting between 80% to 95% on all subjects and so feel ready for a bit of flying soon !! I need to get up to 100% before I will feel really happy though !

andyb79.... the question you raised is the one I also came across. I gave the answer as 'B' and was confused by the Confuser's answer.

After 20 years out of school... this learning business feels like fun again. However, the real joy is meeting people who want to help and pass on their knowledge whilst not judging others.

Thanks
T-42

Send Clowns
13th Nov 2003, 03:25
For the second question B is the correct answer, you are not getting it wrong! Should know, I taught ATPL Principles of Flight briefly, and more importantly am a flight instructor. How does your instructor teach a flapless approach? You reduce power and come in lower than usual for a flat approach!

Well done in beating the confuser :E I always assumed it was accurate (never having used it) because it corrects the met question the CAA get wrong!

I always tell my ATPL groundschool students "A stupid question is one you think of in the exam hall". Could equally say "in the aircraft".