PDA

View Full Version : Egg Banjo Club(Civvy Membership)

Barshifter
7th Nov 2003, 19:18
After reading much about above said club is this going to be open to us civvy types?

Cheers

Barshifter

FFP
7th Nov 2003, 19:22
Maybe .. . . . . :suspect: . .. . . . . state your case . . :suspect:

Barshifter
7th Nov 2003, 19:33
FFP

Fellow aviator with stained(yellow) shirt to match:O

Cheers

Barshifter

FEBA
7th Nov 2003, 21:59
Crab in Cab
As predicted we have a cult following already. I think you and I should discuss the club rules and membership fees

PPrune management
Please contact us should you wish to become involved in this venture.
FEBA

Divergent Phugoid!
8th Nov 2003, 18:09
I can see a very interesting members tie looming on the horizon, flying suite patch, possibly a lapel Badge, Pens, Beer Tankards.....

Oh of course Christmas cards!! :p :p

FEBA
8th Nov 2003, 19:34
The Egg Banjo Cook Book now available at all branches of WH Smiths
FEBA

Blacksheep
9th Nov 2003, 21:52
The noble 'Egg Banjo' originated at Fred's Roti Stall in Changi Village in another era. Those of us who ate them there produced by Fred himself ought to be granted Honorary Life Membership. The eggs used in the original were subtly flavoured with prawn due to the diet of prawn heads that the local hens were fed on - a refinement that is almost impossible to reproduce anywhere else today. 'Fred' retired home to Madras (Chennai) in 1971 and passed away a couple of years later, bless him.

As to military aircrew eating Egg Banjo's I don't recall ever seeing a single Zobbit at Fred's. One did ask me once what we carried about in the tin cans on a string. Stupid prat - how can you stagger back to the billet with an Egg Banjo for supper unless you have a Milo in an old condensed milk can to drink with it?

(Actually the tin might occasionally contain a portion of Keema to go with a take-away Roti Chanai from Pop's but thats another story)

Through difficulties to the cinema

CrabInCab
10th Nov 2003, 17:43
Oh my god, FEBA what have we unleashed?!?!?!?!

Would look good on the OJAR as secondary duty though.

:p

FEBA
11th Nov 2003, 01:06
I have it on good authority from councillor Ogden, Mayor of Grantham, that the town is to be twinned with Lueven, a faceless horribly boring town in Belgium. The good folk of Lueven selected Grantham (overwhelmingly) as the English town most like their own; faceless grey and boring.
In order to save the town , Grantham once home of Sir Isaac, the ignominy of being twinned with anywhere in Belgium, I suggest we start the Egg Banjo Club in Grantham, just to liven the place up.
What do you think?
FEBA

CrabInCab
11th Nov 2003, 03:02
FEBA do you mean Leuven? If so I regret to inform you that not only is it an awesome night-out but it is also the home of Stella and therefore to twin it with Grantham would appear to be a slight on Lovely Leuven not Grotty Grantham! Also too close to Cranwell for comfort!

How about Hoy Booth in Wigan, birth place of George Formby?

:E

Divergent Phugoid!
11th Nov 2003, 08:02
What about Egham?? Has to be the ideal place to start the club, next door to Staines, which is what you are left with!!:D :D

Blacksheep
11th Nov 2003, 10:34
Can you get Milo in Marlow?

CrabInCab
11th Nov 2003, 17:09
Divergent Phugoid, genius!

What do you think FEBA?

:ok:

FEBA
11th Nov 2003, 19:33
With a name like Phugoid and divergent to boot, there's clearly no doubting his genius:D
How about these:
Egbury SU4352 Hampshire Hants Bas&Dean Hants N&M Hant S East Hants
Egdon SO9151 Worcestershire Worcs Wychavon W Merc Worcs W Mids Worcs
Egerton SD7014 Lancashire Bolton G Manc Wig&Bolt N West G Manc
Egerton TQ9047 Kent Kent Ashford Kent E Kent S East Kent
Egerton Forstal TQ8946 Kent Kent Ashford Kent E Kent S East Kent
Egerton Green SJ5252 Cheshire Ches Crew&Nan Ches S Ches N West Ches
Egerton Park SD7501 Lancashire Salford G Manc Sal&Traf N West G Manc
Egerton Park SJ3286 Cheshire Wirral Mersey Wirral N West Mersey
Egford ST7548 Somerset Somset Mendip Av&Som Somerset S West Somset
Egg Buckland SX5057 Devon Plymouth Dev&Co S&W Devn S West Devon
Eggbear SX3388 Devon Cornwl N Cornwl Dev&Co Cornw&Sc S West Cornwl
Eggborough SE5623 Yorkshire, West Riding N York Selby N York N York York&H N York
Eggborough, High SE5722 Yorkshire, West Riding N York Selby N York N York York&H N York
Eggbuckland SX5057 Devon Plymouth Dev&Co S&W Devn S West Devon
Eggesford Station SS6811 Devon Devon M Devon Dev&Co N&E Devn S West Devon
Eggington SP9525 Bedfordshire Beds S Beds Beds Beds East'n Beds
Egginton SK2628 Derbyshire Derbys S Derbys Derbys S Derbys E Mids Derbys
Egginton Common SK2729 Derbyshire Derbys S Derbys Derbys S Derbys E Mids Derbys
Egglesburn NY9824 Durham Durham Teesdale Durham C Durham N East Durham
Egglescliffe NZ4113 Durham Stockton Clevel Tees N East Durham
Eggleston NZ0023 Durham Durham Teesdale Durham C Durham N East Durham
Egham TQ0071 Surrey Surrey Run'mede Surrey W Surrey S East Surrey
Egham TQ0270 Surrey Surrey Run'mede Surrey W Surrey S East Surrey
Egham Wick SU9870 Surrey Surrey Run'mede Surrey W Surrey S East Surrey
Egleton SK8707 Rutland Rutland Leics Leics E Mids Rutlnd

Hen Domen SO2198 Montgomeryshire Powys Dyf Po Dyfed Po Wales Powys
Henlay (get it) berks
FEBA

Divergent Phugoid!
12th Nov 2003, 21:21
Went to visit Egham a couple of weeks ago before Concordes last flight!

The town has nothing going for it and apart from the signing of the Magna carta in 1215 and the Air Forces Memorial (actually in Englefield Green) It needs something to put it back on the map!!

Lots of empty shops there on last visit...

How about an Egg Banjo Resteraunt!! Any takers??

So Who's going to get the ball rolling.....

;) ;)

Arctic Tern
13th Nov 2003, 02:21
Used to get a bloomin' good egg banjo outside the camp gates at HMS Dryad a few years ago. As I remember, this greasy little caravan style cafe used to serve life saving fry-ups after closing time. The egg banjo was a big favourite. I know it's not as exotic as some of the locations in this thread but I'm sure some of the Fishheads who use pprune will have fond memories.

Mzee
13th Nov 2003, 04:21
Ah yes this t'red has brung back a fond memory of having great Egg BJ's from the Britannia Bar (is it still there?) on Britannia Steps Malta awaiting the liberty boat back to the Rusty B after another fine run ashore, and then trying to convince the SP that you were fit for a Navex around the Island in the morning!
:cool:

FEBA
13th Nov 2003, 04:35
Crab and Phugoid (Fellow Directors)
The menu at our new resturante could be a bit bland. Some imagination is required here, can you help? I thought of this
1) Salt and Battery - Battery Hen's egg lovingly fried in high colesterol oil served between two slices of sunblest
2) Symphonic Banjo - Egg banjo tradionally cooked and wrapped in the score sheet of a composer of your choice
3) Egg Violin - Egg banjo for the toffs, served with smoked salmon on granary bread
4) Flew the Coup - Egg banjo for serving members of the RAF and aviators. Eggs fried yesterday and stored in an oven at 100C
5) No yoking matter - hard boiled egg banjos
6) Egg Sitar - Curried egg banjo asian style
7) Egg Snorter - Powdered egg banjo

FEBA

Divergent Phugoid!
29th Nov 2003, 02:25
Sorry FEBA and Crab, I have been Eggstreamly busy frying sorry trying to locate the ideal premises for the Restaurant...

Will post an update here soon....

All yokes aside, I ham working on a website for the club and when completed will wet all you eger persons know....

Eggciting stuff eh!!

:)

16 blades
30th Nov 2003, 16:40
Excuse my ignorance, but WTF is an Egg Banjo???

Echo 5
30th Nov 2003, 17:18
16 Blades,

I'm sure many people will have their own opinions but the best egg banjo I ever had was in Jeddah. It came out of the frying pan in the form of an omelette wrapped up in a bread roll with lashings of hot chilli sauce. I suppose the final product depends very much on who makes it and in what part of the world.

Regards,

E5

BEagle
30th Nov 2003, 18:41
16 blades - historians are divided on the origin, but most agree that it has nothing to do with any musical instrument. Possible origins include "Egg bancha" from British army canteens in India, 'bancha' being a spicy relish. Or possibly "Egg bunny chow" from Seth Efrika, 'bunny chow' being a way for those denied access to restaurants during the apartheid era to buy food - in a hollowed out loaf.

You need a soft bap, fried egg and probably streaky bacon or a sausage - plus sauce to taste (or not as you consider!). Fry the bacon until crisp, fry the egg to what the Spams would consider 'over medium' state, then put both into the bap with your choice of sauce. There will invariably be some fall-out when eating the 'egg banjo' - but it is a well-known military favourite.

Next in Delia's Military Kitchen - Baked baby heads!

16 blades
30th Nov 2003, 18:49
Thanks for the education, guys! Come to think of it, I'm sure I've worked my way through something similar in the Akrotiri feeder to dispel morning post-Red Death fug........

3xGreens
30th Nov 2003, 19:10
BEagle/16 blades/Echo 5.

It should also be noted that in foreign parts it is a pre-requisite that the cooking oil MUST be well past it's " sell by " date !!

BEagle
30th Nov 2003, 20:47
As is normally the oil used in the preparation of ethnic delicacies such as deep-fried Mars bars....:E ??

3xGreens
1st Dec 2003, 15:09
Ah BEagle,

Touche !

You should be aware however that the delicacy to which you refer is almost exclusive to the western regions of Caledonia.

FEBA
1st Dec 2003, 16:23
3Greens
You are indeed correct. The Hibernian delicacy has yet to cross Hadrians Wall. No doubt it will hit the international gastronomy scene as soon as heart surgeons are able to perfect the DIY quadruple bypass kit, whereas the Egg Banjo, well that's truly international.
FEBA

BEagle
1st Dec 2003, 19:13
Hmm - isn't 'Hibernian delicacy' something of an oxymoron? Although on second thoughts, haggis with neeps and tatties isn't bad at all so long as:

1. You don't think about what it's made from;

2. If you ignore 1, there's sufficient whisky available for you not to worry about what it's made from!

Echo 5
1st Dec 2003, 19:17
3xGreens,

I am pleased that you have pointed out that this is a West Coast thing.
It is unthinkable that we fine Edinburgh people would even consider consuming anything as vulgar as a Mars Bar deep fried in batter. Ugh.

BEagle,

Sorry, we must have been pounding away at the same time.
Thought I would just mention ( for the sake of the faint hearted ) that Tesco do a quite palatable veggy Haggis.

MadsDad
2nd Dec 2003, 01:08
I think the deep fried mars bar has crossed the border.

I recall reading about a posh (2 * Michelin at that) restaurant in Paris that was serving the delicacy as part of it's pudding (a 'Plat au Chocolat' thingie was mentioned).

Mind you the French are the oldest allies of the Scots I suppose.......

G-KEST
4th Dec 2003, 00:04
:8 What an eggstraordinary thread. Bad joking apert I would love to join as the consumer of so many in the past. Best are on white sliced polystyrene variety with, preferably, a double yolked egg. Chlorestorol rules OK..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Divergent Phugoid!
4th Dec 2003, 18:58
Beags..... again you have proved that you seem to want to take over every thread here as if your own... give your opinion on what should or should not be with total disregard for others views...

If you actually looked further back, you would have seen that all the comments you have made, were previously mentioned by other interested pruners... maybe have you have read back and now want to take the credit for the info here...

Why not for once let someone else have a go, as your continual interuptions and hijackings is getting rather tiring old chap!!

Call me a traditionalist but I think you will find the name for the dish you mentioned earlier to be...

A bacon sausage and egg roll!! Sometimes refered to as breakfast in bread!! Not, Definately not an Egg banjo...

I think your membership to the club might be declined... will have to discuss with other members....

FEBA, CRAB what do you think??

:D :D

Echo 5
4th Dec 2003, 19:39
DP

I cannot see what your problem is.
If BEagle wants to post here,there and everywhere, then why not.
He is entitled to his opinions ,as we all are ,and personally I enjoy his humour .
If we were all restricted to a quota of posts per month then there would be sweet FA to read.
At the end of the day we all do this for enjoyment so please CHILL OUT.

Regards,

E5

Muppet Leader
4th Dec 2003, 20:26
I am struggling to come to terms with all the gastronomic varieties described previously.

There is only one recipe for an Egg Banjo.

1. Three to five day old “Oven Bottom”, manipulated with loving care, whilst wrapped in a black bin bag, stuffed into the bottom of ’58 pattern kidney pouch.
2. Three slices of thinly sliced, rear nearside rump of porcine, with a faint hexi tincture and a small, but green and slightly hairy growth on the rind.
3. One (liberated from local farm) fried chickens embryo.
4. One thinly sliced and lightly sautéed green, extra hot chilli.

This must be freshly prepared in a British Military issue mess tin, heated by no more that four blocks of hexamine, consumed out doors, preferably on the side of a mountain, in either torrential rain or thick fog.
Preferably, the ideal wind speed must be in excess of thirty knots, with an ambient temperature of minus 7 to minus 3 degrees.

In ideal circumstances, other persons, unknown to the “eatee” must be present.
Please be advised that if this is the case, expect that money will be offered for this sumptuous feast by the other attendees, as they struggle with their tired cheese sarnies.

ML
:ok:

3xGreens
4th Dec 2003, 22:40
Divergent,

Agree totally with the comments made by Echo 5 in his last post.
Nobody should be chastised for submitting too many posts.
BEagle's submissions are invariably informative and entertaining and long may they continue.
If you want to have a go, then have a go at all the posers and wasters on the membership list who have never made any contribution and probably never will.
Rant over.

Divergent Phugoid!
5th Dec 2003, 00:05
E5 and 3G...
I think its you two who need to chill, although I stand by my comments, they were made with a certain tongue in cheek humour, maybe that went above you??

Its like switching on the TV and all you ever see or hear about is David Beckham... it gets tiring...

Come on, let someone else have a go....

:p :p :p

adrian mole
5th Dec 2003, 04:54
DP

I too think you are out of order by having a pop at Beagle - he is the Guru and whatever topic he comments on he always talks sense. Leave him alone and if you are so put out by his comments why don't you make some constructive one's yourself for once so as to gain some credibility.

BEagle
6th Dec 2003, 22:12
WTF - a few days off PPRuNe-ing whilst over in the land of Wurstchen und Weissinbier and all heck breaks out.

DP - does everybody really read every thread? The historical source of the egg banjo was researched through old WW2 Indian army hands - and they agree that modern mil-yoof has got it all wrong when it comes to the eggy thing!

Oh - and readjusting your aerodynamic centre to improve your longitudial banter stability quartic might prove beneficial. But better a divergent phugoid than a divergent SPPO, I guess....

And now I bid you good afternoon from the Frankfurt airport business lounge as it's time to check in for another FRA-BHX in C-class.

BEagle, News at 1610 CET, Frankfurt;) ;)

Blacksheep
8th Dec 2003, 12:28
Beags makes passing reference to the Indian Army origins of Banjo making. Fred - he of Changi Village fame - learned his elementary banjo making skills while serving in the British Indian Army, however those original Indian Army versions bore as much resemblance to the true Egg Banjo as RAF issue scrambled eggs do to Eggs Benedict.

Unfortunately, Fred's ashes were long ago consigned to the sacred Ganges and his original premises were condemned by the Singapore Government as not meeting their hygiene standards. (standards that I might add, condemn modern Singaporeans to eating in those horrid 'Food Halls' resembling their equally clean and sparkling public lavatories) Sadly, we shall never taste the like of Fred's masterpieces again.

To emphasise - an Egg Banjo is NOT a Fried Egg Sarnie. It is a gastronomic test of all the culinary skills of the Cordon Bleu Chef including baking the special bread in which the exquisite filling is served.

Oh Lord, how I miss Fred :{

Echo 5
9th Dec 2003, 23:05
FEBA et al,

This is all very interesting but has Barshifters application been approved ?

BEagle
9th Dec 2003, 23:53
Go on - let him in....

I wonder whether it was the 'bancha' which spiced up some pretty indifferent powdered egg which led to the original name?

FEBA
7th Jan 2004, 03:48
Gentlemen
The search is currently underway for property for the Egg Banjo Club. I regret to say that Grantham has been dropped, despite its proximity to massive airbases like Barkston Heath for example. Instead the club will be located in Nottingham which has a strong presence from the Royal Navy and Army, not sure about the RAF. Nottingham has a thriving night life (not to mention all that totty) and it is my intention to enlighten the civilian population with the delight of haute military cuisine.
Applications are invited for the following vacancies
1) Cocktail mixers
2) Cooks
3) Door Marshalls
4) Waiters or stewards
5) Managers

If you have served with 29 Lt Cocktail Regt, any of the tri service catering sections, 42/45 Cdo RM or Para Regts (not 7RHA), Sqn Ldr Ops (no ex navs please) please apply.
Thank you
:cool:

CrabInCab
7th Jan 2004, 04:50
FEBA - I think your choice of venue is most agreeable and concur strongly with your banning of 7 RHA.

I assume we'll be filling the exec rolls (sic) at said venue?

FEBA
7th Jan 2004, 16:12
CinC
Naturally, and I hope to encourage the omnipotent BEagle to MC entertainment events.
We will need someone prominent to open the club like the Queen, do you have any contacts?
FEBA