View Full Version : Buying a rating

VMC
7th Nov 2003, 16:28
Is it really worth anyone buying a type rating in order to get a job? Every advert I have seen for type rated crews requires at least 500 hrs on type. Buying a rating is one thing, but paying for 500 hrs on the dam thing is surely out of the question. Has anyone ever secured a position with a brand new type rating they have bought themselves?

Agaricus bisporus
7th Nov 2003, 17:49
Stupid and irresponsible. It screws up the market for the majority who can't afford it and makes companys think they can get away with making us pay for everything. We already have shysters out there making applicants pay for submitting a cv, interviews and sim rides. We'll all be paying for recurrent sims next.

So you shell out £15K for a 737 rating and get offered a job on an airbus. Own goal! Or you do get a 737 job, but the employer quite reasonably insists you have to do their course as you have no hours, result, bonded for 3 yrs anyway. (I've seen it)

DO NOT DO IT

Firm Touchdown
7th Nov 2003, 17:59
If you want to get a job at the present time, you will 'optimise' your chances if you are rated.

A friend of mine paid for a rating 12 years ago. He is now a Training Captain with a large UK carrier. He has been with that airline for over 10 years and has spent seven years in the left seat of modern jet equipment. The money that he spent was clearly worthwhile for him. In addition to the rating, I must stress that he was extremely hard working and dedicacated. The rating is not enough by itself!

I have been in contact with a collegue who holds a management position at one of the UK low cost operators. He reliably informs me that although they are recruiting type rated pilots, they will consider non-rated pilots if they will contribute towards the cost of aircraft type conversion.

The airline industry is going through difficult time at the moment and cost saving is always high on the list of priorities for the airline management teams. This is typical of any business that is going through hard times. Type rated pilots will thus clearly add to the cost saving process.

Many other pilots will clearly tell you that paying for a rating is wrong and in many ways they have a point. It is the employers responsibility to pay for training costs. There are however a significant number of non-rated pilot in the marketplace. You must do whatever you can to make yourself more attractive to an employer than everyone else.

I am by no means suggesting that a self-sponsored type rating is the way forward especially without the guarantee of a job. The choice is yours. Only you can make that decision. If you do have £10,000 spare and decide to make that choice, then only consider the popular aircraft types A320 or B737.

And remember, do not worry what other people say. They will soon forget. LOOK AFTER NUMBER ONE!!!!:ok: