PDA

View Full Version : Massive growth everywhere?

LGS6753
7th Nov 2003, 03:22
Recently, posts on this forum have predicted huge growth at NCL, PIK, BRS, EDI, EMA, LBA and LTN.

I feel sure that MAN, STN and the rest won't stand still.

The Bank of England has today announced an increase in interest rates to take some spending power out of the economy, with pundits predicting further increases during 2004.

I was just wondering where the passengers will come from, especially bearing in mind that charters have been consolidated this summer despite low interest rates and lots of borrowing.

Any comments??

Frankfurt_Cowboy
7th Nov 2003, 03:26
Wasn't Bournemouth the original home of the predicted massive expansion?

LGS6753
7th Nov 2003, 03:51
Bournemouth, Birmingham, Exeter, Southampton, Coventry....

The list is endless!!

MerchantVenturer
7th Nov 2003, 05:30
Huge growth is relative.

An extra 200,000 annual pax at some of these airports would represent a 60% rise in traffic ('huge growth'), whereas at LHR an extra 200,000 per year would barely register.

I do believe though that internal UK travel by air is now becoming much more an accepted 'norm' and is a viable alternative to rail and road on many occasions. This is undoubtedly due to the proliferation of low cost airlines.

Is anyone suggesting that road and rail travellers will diminish in numbers if interest rates rise significantly?

Mouser
7th Nov 2003, 06:05
Liverpool Capital of culture awaiting its 8th Ezy 737 , 10 Emerald ATPs ,VLM London City ,Ryanair 10 yr northern hub deal , Jetmagic and Euromanx expansion, and even more terminal and apron expansion, oh! and Berlin.

No comment
7th Nov 2003, 07:48
Southampton did see a rather substantial expansion by flyBE...