PDA

View Full Version : Photography Question

helimatt
6th Nov 2003, 22:01
I've been asked to take a photographer up to get some shots of a Fokker 100 (around 717/DC9 size) as it is on short finals over a town centre. The current idea is to be abeam or slightly above the aircraft. The helicopter will be an R44, so 2 up will have plenty of grunt. I've done a fair bit of photography, but not of anything this big and noisy. Is there anything apart from the usual H/V curve issues that might rear up and bite me on the bum that I should watch out for? any other hints or tips re the shot that might help will also be much appreciated
Cheers Matt:O

Ascend Charlie
7th Nov 2003, 04:54
You might find there are some ATC issues with having you in the go-around path of a jet, and similarly their TCAS will go off severely.

Other than that, if you are doing 40-60 kt just ahead of him (allowing for your open door, minimise vibrations) and allow him to cruise past, you will have the greatest amount of time for the shot. Photographer on your side, so you can see what is going on.

If you are simply sitting in the hover (vibrations, yaw jiggles) the jet will zip past before you are ready for it. A disappointed photographer sometimes doesn't pay!:{

BlenderPilot
7th Nov 2003, 07:08
Beware of its wake turbulence! I fly at an airport that has a heavy jet operation almost every two minutes, many times we cross the app path of these planes and trust me, it can be quite a shake!

Hughesy
7th Nov 2003, 08:18
Autorotate will no doupt have some ideas for that one. The guy has taken some truely amazing shots.:ok: :D

helimatt
7th Nov 2003, 11:51
Thanks for the advice Charlie and Blender. Hughesy, your right. Autorotate if your out there, any words of wisdom???:D

ppheli
7th Nov 2003, 13:39
I would expect some UK pilots to respond on this, particularly as the last passenger flights of Concorde on a recent Friday had about 5 Twin Squirrels involved in Air2Air filming.

off topic, but here you go....
Three Concorde flights to go - deliveries out to New York, Barbados and Bristol/Filton. more details www.concordesst.com

Autorotate
7th Nov 2003, 14:16
Ok ppheli, will let your UK pilots respond.

:E

jumpseater
8th Nov 2003, 04:15
The photographer may request to have the doors off if he/she hasnt already, but autorotate knows far more about that sort of stuff