PDA

View Full Version : East Midlands (EMA) massive growth in 2003

Simon Lumley
6th Nov 2003, 19:44
East Midlands are set to overtake Newcastle, Bristol and Belfast International Airports in the UK to become the 9th busiest UK airport.

They predict that they will handle around 4.2 million passengers in 2003. compared with the above airports which are likely to announce between 3.6 and 3.9 million passengers.

The new weekly Monarch Airlines charter service to Amritsar is performing very well with the first few flights full.

Easyjet are to launch 3 new routes in the next few weeks from EMA for next summer in time for when its summer 2004 schedules are also launched.

BMI Baby are also to launch 2 new routes for summer 2004, with many tour operators also launching new routes for next summer.

brabazon
6th Nov 2003, 19:51
On a rolling year basis - it already has hit the number 9 slot - but for how long - the operators at the other airports are not standing still....

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/airport_data/200307/Table_01_Size_of_UK_Airports.pdf

Daysleeper
6th Nov 2003, 19:56
Could do with a new terminal then, the q at security at rush hour is huge already, not much room through in departures either. Baggage return times are pretty massive too. (though BMI mainline is a lot quicker than baby,)

Mouser
7th Nov 2003, 05:28
How come you didn't get Berlin.

EKCH2730
7th Nov 2003, 17:09
Any indication of what new destinations Easyjet will add from EMA?

Personally I would like to see an EZY EMA-CPH service! Seen in the light of that EZY in recent weeks have announced three new routes to CPH (BRS, NCL and SXF) I would not be surprised to see a introduction of EMA-CPH next summer.

/EKCH2730

ALLMCC
7th Nov 2003, 17:57
There were rumours not so long ago that Easy were considering EMA - BFS in competition with Bmibaby - is this still on the cards? - if so, are Bmibaby likely to move everything from BFS to BHD?

MD11FAN
8th Nov 2003, 02:07
Why don't Easyjet start services to 3 new destinations instead of competing with BMIBaby? I am very suprised that Berlin will not be served by EZY considering the now complete lack of services to Germany from EMA.
Here's some routes to consider:

Aberdeen(Demand probably limited but much better than Eastern Jetstream)
Dusseldorf
Frankfurt
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Vienna
Rome
Athens

EMACargo
8th Nov 2003, 17:27
Can you honestly see 5 new routes starting at EMA next summer and being announced within the next few weeks. Where did you hear this and also what routes will they be looking at?? WW should look at Germany and poss Scandanavia. bmibaby come across as a LoCo holiday airline really. There are no business destinations at all really.
Ezy i suppose will look at Berlin, Copenhagen and another poss Bilbao????

Little Blue
9th Nov 2003, 03:18
errrrrrrrrrm
GLA/EDI/BFS/DUB/AMS/CDG.....real holiday destinations, eh !?
Although I wish we would do a Berlin.....;)

rodan
9th Nov 2003, 05:46
Well, EDI/DUB/AMS/CDG all popular with tourists and for weekend breaks. GLA too, to an increasing degree.

Edited to say that BFS could well be too, but I have no idea. Before anyone takes offence :) .

Lite
9th Nov 2003, 22:59
EMACargo, if you look back to a few years ago when British Midland Commuter ruled the skies over the Midlands, we used to have about three flights a day between EMA and FRA, but I dont think its too hard to see why British Midland ended the route.

You have to remember BD is partially owned by Lufthansa. Lufthansa complained to British Midland, that the EMA/FRA flight was beginning to eat into the passenger loads and profits of Lufthansa's own flights from nearby BHX and so British Midland was forced to close the route and said it was due to "disappointing passenger loads" however all the flights I was on, were near full; many transferring onto Lufthansa flights anyway.

Also, look at when bmibaby announced they were to take over the entire bmi regional operation at EMA last winter. One of the headlining routes was a daily flight to Copenhagen. However, again the bigger airline (SK) complained that it would cause SAS to have to cut fares on the BHX-CPH route and would most likely again cut into passenger loads and as such the airline suddenly pulled the routes before bookings took place.

Whilst there would be a lot of sense in flights to Scandinavia or Germany by bmibaby, I dont see much chance of it happening.

Although rumours of Snowflake and Germanwings continued expansion including the UK (including EMA) have been floating about so ... who knows!

MD11FAN
10th Nov 2003, 00:15
SAS don't seem to know what they are doing with this service. It started as 2 x dailiy then went to 3 daily. Then there were reports of increased demand so a 4th service would be added. Then within weeks the service dropped back to 2 x daily. Anyone know what the loads are like?

Buster the Bear
12th Nov 2003, 17:25
Airport ready to take off

A CAMPAIGN has been launched to encourage Northamptonshire business people to use East Midlands Airport instead of flying from Luton or Birmingham. When booking business trips and package holidays, Northamptonshire residents usually choose to fly from Luton or Birmingham instead of the region's own airport, which is located near Castle Donington between Leicester, Derby and Nottingham. Now the East Midlands Development Agency and airport management are targeting county businessmen in a bid to persuade them to use the airport.

East Midlands Airport and the agency have jointly commissioned draft plans on how the airport can best contribute to the economy of the region. County businessmen will be asked for their opinions on the draft action plan.

Planning, transport and housing adviser at the East Midlands Development Agency, Julie Tanner, said: "We recognise that the continued growth of East Midlands Airport is of central importance to the future of the East Midlands economy and is vital to achieving the ambition of becoming a top 20 region by 2010."
She said the continued growth of the airport would make an important contribution to making the east Midlands a competitive region. She said: "At the same time, the growth of aviation inevitably has environmental implications that will need to be managed and minimised, and take into account the high importance of creating sustainable communities.
"We now need everybody's opinion on the draft strategy so we can put together a comprehensive plan of action to make sure the future of the airport meets the region's needs."
A final strategy will be drawn up by the end of the year and will take into account any feedback received as well as the results of a sustainability appraisal.

East Midlands Airport – the facts:
l East Midlands Airport handled 3.2 million passengers last year. This is expected to rise to 4.5 million this year and to 15.3 million by 2030
l The airport provided scheduled services to 30 destinations during the summer – 23 were international and seven domestic
l In August there were 297 scheduled service departures per week from the airport
l Last year, the airport handled almost 230,000 tons of freight and mail. By 2030 this is expected to rise to 2.6 million tons
l Measured by volume of freight traffic, East Midlands is the third largest airport in the country, after Heathrow and Gatwick
l The airport supports the equivalent of around 9,100 full-time jobs and generated £198m of income for the East Midlands in 2001
l It is estimated that employment would rise by about 26,800 full-time jobs and regional income would rise to £1,154 million by 2030.
11 November 2003

EMACargo
20th Nov 2003, 19:59
Whats new at the airport????

I got back from the states yesterday and havent been able to keep up.

Before i went i heard about a few airlines starting soon and also a bit off subject anyone heard about the Pakistan flights rumour from LBA

busz
20th Nov 2003, 21:17
Hey guys.

I went for a presentation at EMA yesterday, and had a talk from the MD and a few other big-wigs. Current plans are for a terminal extension to create more space in the international departures area, create a new bar and increase circulation to 25%. Other than that, a £37m new terminal will be built around 2007 i think he said. No new services mentioned tho apparently Thomas Cook will not be basing an aircraft there next summer.

They, like the rest of us, are waiting for the consultation paper, and are hoping they will get a new runway. (to be built to the south, 2km away from exisiting runway) In terms of public transport, a heavy railway cannot be built to the airport because of the expense, but they are thinking of subsidising a regular bus service to the new Parkway station due to be built on the main railway line between Nottingham and Loughborough.

Any questions, ill do my best to answer them.

Regards

Alex:ok:

egnxema
21st Nov 2003, 22:53
Sounds like an interesting meeting busz.

Did they indicate where the new terminal would be sited?

The airport are currently polling everyone's opinion regarding a change to the airport's name - a pretty hot favourite must be Nottingham something.

The city of Nottingham is just finishing its first tram line. NET (Nottingham Express Transit) Line 1, they also are proposing NET Line 2, which will run out towards the airport but terminate in Clifton. The airport should encourage the NET to run its trams parallel with the A453 - with a stop at the new EM Parkway station then onwards to Nottingham East Midlands Airport Terminal. Kills 2 birds with one stone - links the airport to the National Rail network, and links is quickly to the City of Nottingham.

Any easy or baby news?

EGCC
21st Nov 2003, 23:00
One of the new NET trams pulled up on Market Sqaure in Nottingham the other night, certainly gives the whole city a more cosmopolitan feel to it. Hopefully Nottingham's profile will be raised even further in the future and subsequently bring benefits to EMA also.

EMACargo
24th Nov 2003, 04:24
Here we go again.

I have contacted someone i know at the airport and they say that Rumour 1: Nottingham wont be the new official name of the airport but will remain on the Iata list.

Regards

Stu

No way Red Dogs (Nottingham)

symphonyangel
24th Nov 2003, 04:33
Looking ahead, with airports at Coventry and Finningley an hour or so away, surely a runway at EMA isn't needed, busz?

Lite
24th Nov 2003, 05:33
I hear that in order to appease the people of Leicester and Derby but also to make happy the people at bmibaby and IATA, the airport is being called either East Midlands-Nottingham, Nottingham-East Midlands or East Midlands serving Nottingham.

Either way Nottingham will be in the title.

Buster the Bear
24th Nov 2003, 06:35
London Errol Flynn International

Colonel Klink
25th Nov 2003, 03:09
Hey, Buster, are you referring to Northampton's most famous (apart from me!) Australian resident?:O

LBAir
25th Nov 2003, 03:25
What about 'NATIONAL' with its central location, sounds American, usually works???:ok: