PDA

View Full Version : Open bag policy ex US

Bob Upndown
6th Nov 2003, 00:27
Is it still the case that you have to leave your check luggage unlocked when travelling ex-US for the TSA to stock up on goodies for their next car-boot sale, oops, sorry to ensure we're all not bomb-toting nutters trying to get past idiots who don't know how to read an x-ray screen.

OK, sorry, couldn't resist, but seriously. I'm travelling later this month LHR-MIA-LHR on my hols. I'll have several grands worth of dive kit in my check luggage. It's some months since I travelled to the US and I wondered whether I will have to leave the bags and boxes open or has this rule been modified or repealed.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers
Bob

Globaliser
6th Nov 2003, 01:07
It's never been the case that you have to leave it unlocked. But if it's locked, they will cut the locks off if they need to get inside the bag.

I did MIA-LHR on Sunday night and left the padlock on and the luggage strap around the bag. They cut the lock off - no damage to the bag - and either had a tool to turn the "locking" device on the clip on the bag strap, or were somehow able to do whatever searching they needed to do without removing the strap. They also left me the usual billet doux. Nothing appeared to have gone missing.

The BA terminal at JFK has a nice system if you are entitled to use premium class check-in. There is an X-ray machine opposite the check-in desks. If you'd like to leave your bags locked, you stay with them until they have been through the machine. If they need to look inside, you are there to unlock them. If they don't, you can go and the bags are carted off to the aircraft. Nothing like that at MIA, though.

Land After
6th Nov 2003, 07:04
When I've flown from LAX and LAS there's always been the option to leave the bags locked and wait for a clear screening. The last time I flew from SFO on Virgin, this wasn't an option. Maybe as the screening wasn't taking place in the check-in area?

radeng
6th Nov 2003, 18:11
Depends where you are flying from. Going out isn't a problem: coming back depends. If you come from one of the smaller airports such as Colorado Springs or Dayton, AND checking your bags right through to the final destination, they normally appear to have a system where the bags are examined right by the check in desks, and they then let you lock them after inspection. That even applied going into Chicago and on to Dayton this year. Larger airports, such as Phoenix, Dallas-Fort Worth, your bags disappear and they want them unlocked. Coming from Miami, I guess you need to to leave it unlocked or at elast have an easily cut off padlock.

According to the TSA web site, there is a method of claiming if stuff is nicked, but I'd have some doubts about how much one would get myself - it's obviously too easy for false claims to be made.

I understand UK Customs however, pride themselves on being able to open any case and send it on without you knowing they've been in there.......

The whole thing really seems a good way to reduce unemployment by finding somethign for the 'jobsworths'. But there's another thread for that discussion.....

Benjurs
6th Nov 2003, 20:48
As has been said before not a problem Ex-UK but I flew back from PHL last month and had the side pocket of my carry all padlocked. Nothing in it I'd just lost the key!

Still didn't stop the kindly TSA cutting the lock off and leaving a note (in the empty space!) stating what they'd done. They very kindly sealed it up with one of those zip fasterners. So problem solved for me - Thanks TSA!

So If I were you I'd lock your gear up and hope it doesn't get 'pulled'. At least it'll be secured in any event and there's ****** all you can do to stop them if they want to have a look-see.

Cheers

Benjurs

Lily Rowan
6th Nov 2003, 22:25
I’ve stopped using luggage locks and now favor plastic zip ties for my checked bags. They do the same job as locks and, as an added bonus, they’re much cheaper and easier to replace if the TSA decides to open my luggage.

In reality, traditional suitcase locks are merely for show and can be opened by anyone with a few moments and the correct keys (or even a paperclip). At least the zip ties must be physically cut and then replaced by anyone who may want to remove or place items in my luggage. Now I’m just trying to find the ties in unusual colors….

PAXboy
6th Nov 2003, 22:55
Now I’m just trying to find the ties in unusual colors…. Are you referring to 'cable ties'? The one simple plastic device that bends over on itself and then is secured by a non-return 'click' strip??

If so, in the UK, I've seen them in a car accessory shop (Halfords). They were the usual range of lengths and in bright yellow, orange and red.

Ozzy
6th Nov 2003, 23:06
If you have combination locks what do they do? So far I have left the lock in the "open" combination number, but would they do if I had locked it?

Ozzy

Frankfurt_Cowboy
7th Nov 2003, 02:45
Probably a "controlled" explosion.

BrightonGirl
7th Nov 2003, 07:54
Each time I've flown out of LAX in the last 12 months (UA and AA), at the check-in counter I've been told to take my bags to a TSA person at a nearby table -- I open them, he inspects them, and then marks them in a way that lets the person behind the counter know they're all right to check. But I believe then they're all x-rayed anyway out of our sight.

I haven't even bothered to lock mine -- been using only the fabric ones lately, and I figure if anyone wants to get into it, they certainly won't be stopped by a little padlock.

On one trip I was told to take my bag to a large x-ray machine, and I waited for them to scan it. They don't give them back to you after that (obviously that would provide an opportunity for you to slip something in) but the man assured me that it would make my plane. I was somewhat skeptical, to say the least, because it was in this little cordoned-off area with the machine and a lot of other bags, all going to different destinations. I made him promise (realizing that I was acting 6 years old). Was pleasantly surprised when it showed up at baggage claim when I landed.

Lily Rowan
7th Nov 2003, 08:21
PAXboy

That sounds like what I mean – usually I just refer to “those plastic thingies” and am not really sure what the correct technical term is.

Thanks for the tip; right now I have only clear and black ones, and, even though I prefer the low-profile of the black, I think those may be a bit too easy for someone to replace on the sly.

PAXboy
7th Nov 2003, 18:50
Lily, if we are talking about the same things, they are called cable ties, as they started in the telecommunications and IT world (I think) and spread rapidly to all industries where people have so secure cables together or to a support point. They are used a cheap handcuffs in some countries.

They sound like a good idea for locking a case - just need to ensure that you have a good knide, pair of scissors or Leatherman on you to cut it open. :rolleyes:

LR: Check your PMs for detail.

ShamRoc
7th Nov 2003, 19:08
"They sound like a good idea for locking a case - just need to ensure that you have a good knife, pair of scissors or Leatherman on you to cut it open. "

Provided you don't carry any of these in your hand baggage! Could be tricky arriving late at night in a hotel.

Bob Upndown
7th Nov 2003, 19:13
Thanks to all for the replies, that's good info. Hopefully there'll be the area Brighton Girl alludes to that'll mean the cases can be scanned prior to disappearing to the baggage equivalent of a torture chamber in the bowels of the terminal, where the screams of Samsonites being violated echo through the dank corridors:hmm:

As the kit is in metal flightcases secured with hasps and padlocks, if there is no scanning at c/i, I guess I can try to leave the padlocks open and a note attached to the case to the effect of:

Dear TSA,

To save wear and tear on your boltcutters I've left the padlocks open. Please feel free to search the case, I'd appreciate it if you could then secure the padlocks. Thanks.

Long shot I know, but if it comes to it, it'll be better than potentially having the cases bent and hasps destroyed. I'll let you know how I get on.

Re the cable ties, Halfords do sell them, but are expensive. If you can get to RS or Maplins they're much cheaper (and still come in the fabulous colours).

Thanks again to all,
Cheers,
Bob

MuppetPax
8th Nov 2003, 03:13
I got a big tube (about 500ish) of cable ties of various sizes and colours for £6.99 from B&Q

Lily Rowan
8th Nov 2003, 07:32
PAXboy – Thanks for cluing me in on the correct terminology; that should make things much easier in the future when explaining what I mean.

Even with the added complication of not being able to travel with my mini Swiss Army knife in my carry-on, I’ve found the ties to be an ideal solution for me.

Bob – Enjoy your holiday in Florida!

radeng
11th Nov 2003, 15:52
Cable ties have many uses. Some years ago, Radiospares as they were then known reported that they'd had a lot of orders for cable ties from somewhere in Africa - Kenya, if I recall correctly. As the local electronics industry was hardly a a major one, they were interested, especially as the ties were going to a farm. Turned out that they were being used for castrating pigs - attach tie, tighten up and leave - testicles drop off.

Brings tears to your eyes to even think about it!

Bob Upndown
13th Nov 2003, 18:15
Radeng, that post is one the wonderful reasons for Prooning, we managed to get from bags to pig castration in a mere 14 posts! :D

Lily, Cheers!

Land After
17th Nov 2003, 21:48
Moving away from pig castration......

If security is not a concern, and if you need to leave the bags open, you don't really have a choice! You could cable tie a spare key for the padlocks to case or onto the padlock wiht a note asking them to unlock the case if necessary, throwing the key into the cas before locking.

Just a thought
/LA

Bob Upndown
2nd Dec 2003, 21:12
Back from the wilds of (VERY) sunny Florida. Fab hols, great diving, average beer!

Ended up traveling back from MCO as flights out of MIA went manic and we couldn't get on.

We left the padlocks off and sent the boxes with loosely applied cable ties. Sure enough, these were broken off and the boxes searched (nothing taken/broken - Phew!). Then blue TSA tie seals were applied in the cable ties place.

All our equipment was subjected to the same treatment, and, looking at the luggage on the belt at LGW, it seems the larger percentage of all bags checked are opened.

Point of note: the agent at c/i stated that VS has now posted one of it's employees in the out-of-sight TSA search area so that they can keep an eye on what happens to the baggage and contents whilst they're being searched by the 'crackheads' (his words, not mine!). It's an interesting reflection of the perception of those put in place to ensure the threat stays on the ground.......................:hmm:

Boss Raptor
3rd Dec 2003, 04:43
OK anyone experienced having something pinched from a bag left open due TSA open bag rule? I am intrigued as to the procedures if any that have been put in place for liability?

Because I am sure the airline back in the UK will try to wriggle out of liability and you can be certain your travel insurance are not going to pay, 'left your bag open sir!? sorry that's negligent and your fault' etc.

...and i can see it bouncing right back to the airline...

I can understand that value of contents would be limited, you are not allowed to pack electrical goods and you'd carry jewellery in your hand luggage if you knew yr case was open but a handful of CD's for instance would seem a costly and tempting target!

surely not
3rd Dec 2003, 05:54
Boss Raptor, why would an airline be wriggling if it denied responsibility?

The airlines cannot object to the unlocked case measure because "it's security you know". It goes against everything the airlines have been trying to get pax to do in the past i.e. secure your case and don't make it easy for theft. What's more the airlines have to pay for the 'security' to be provided but cannot pass this charge on to the passenger.

Even without this rule making pax leave their bags open, passengers have been making false claims of theft from their bags as well as the genuine ones, this merely leaves the airlines even more open to fraud.

Before anyone takes umbrage at the idea that passengers would lie about such matters, believe me they do. Not everyone who travels is as nice as those of us on prune!!!

Check your insurance policies before travelling to the USA is my advice.

Boss Raptor
3rd Dec 2003, 06:49
An airline as any other service provider has 'a duty of care' under English law. Although rather vague in legal definition it is accepted and regularly enforced by the courts. In this case the action of a third party acting on behalf of the airline etc. etc. and as such the airline may well be truly liable.

Law of tort much clearer in English law means that the contractor, the airline, cannot try to offset the claim of the plaintiff against a third party i.e. the TSA. The passenger has the right and route to claim from the airline and the airline should make claim against the TSA if they wish to claim damages/re-imbursement in turn.

Also in line with Tort, the airline is responsible to the passenger for ensuring that their baggage is secure and safe at all times whilst in the possession of the airline i.e. (one assumes) after check in to arriving on the baggage belt and into the passengers hands. The passenger also has responsibility to secure the baggage adequately however this is limited by the TSA regulation and therefore the unlocked bag is as far as the passenger can be 'reasonably expected' to go...ball straight back into the airlines' court.

The airline is probably liable in the first part...vague interpretation it maybe but isn't most of English law, all about a precedent and ruling from a Judge. Tort has been enforced by the courts in cases related to the aviation industry particularly where an airline (or their insurer) has denied liability for a death caused in a crash and tried to pass the buck to the manufacturer or airport etc. etc. (this is a well known example of tort implementation going back to the 60's the details of which I cannot fully recall)

Coconuts
3rd Dec 2003, 22:10
I ran into this problem on my recent trip state side. On my point of entry airport into the states I was asked to recollect my bags. I think my shocked reaction when I bought them to airline security & they asked me to leave the case I was checking in open convinced them I had something to hide but they reassured me my bag would be resealed which after being searched in my absentism, thankfully it was. The problem occured on my return trip where instead of checking in one case I checked in two, confident both would be resealed. However only one was searched & only it was resealed prompting me on my return to pen an irate letter to the TSA who replied with a courteous & abject apology (see there not all bad). No, nothing was stolen but still I had been left wide open to the possibility of having anything stolen or planted in my case which angered me. Someone here suggested using those plastic resealing tags whatever you call them. However the TSA are aware that it's an issue & hopefully it will be dealt with sooner than later

Coco