PDA

View Full Version : Info on AHS International?

Flingwing207
5th Nov 2003, 21:02
I have been tasked to make a five-minute presentation on the American Helicopter Society (to a CFI class on Nov 18). I have gained valuable information by perusing their website, but still seek additional information from other points of view.

-To YOU, what is the main mission of the AHS?

-What does the AHS “mean” to helicopter pilots? In other words, how does the profession benefit (directly or indirectly) from the AHS?

-What would you consider to be the AHS’s biggest contributions (to date) to the world of vertical flight? Helicopter aviation?

-What could operators and/or pilots do to help the AHS?

-What are the benefits to a pilot of being a member of the AHS?

Thank you for this information and any additional insights you might offer!

RDRickster
5th Nov 2003, 21:53
I've never even heard of them before. Helicopter Association International (http://www.rotor.com/) and Professional Helicopter Pilot's Association (http://www.autorotate.org/autorotate/index.asp) are the only helicopter-specific associations I am aware of. I'm probably in the minority, but I guess you could say they don't do a thing for me. What makes it worse is that I just looked them up on the web (easy to find), and noticed they are located just 15 minutes from my house!

Mars
5th Nov 2003, 22:06
Why don't you ask the CE (Rhett Flater) direct - email [email protected]

Dave_Jackson
6th Nov 2003, 03:23
I have only been a member of AHS for three years, therefore other members may be able to give better comments.

"-To YOU, what is the main mission of the AHS?"
To advance rotorcraft technology; particularly amongst the manufacturing industry and research institutions.

"-What does the AHS “mean” to helicopter pilots? In other words, how does the profession benefit (directly or indirectly) from the AHS? "
Probably relatively little to the pilot, in respect to his job.

"-What would you consider to be the AHS’s biggest contributions (to date) to the world of vertical flight? Helicopter aviation? "
To propagate and advance rotorcraft technology.

"-What could operators and/or pilots do to help the AHS? "
Perhaps, by providing user and passenger feedback regarding the pros and cons that they come across.

"-What are the benefits to a pilot of being a member of the AHS? "
For those with an interest in the VTOL, the quarterly magazine, Vertiflite, has many interesting articles about past rotorcraft accomplishments and more importantly, the future of rotorcraft. The bottom line may be; Is +/- $70.00 US a year for four issues of Vertiflite worthwhile? For me, Yes.

Hope this is of some help.

Flingwing207
6th Nov 2003, 07:35
Thanks for the info, gang - keep it coming!

Mars, to you think Rhett Flater would appreciate such a request? I did send an email to their general address listed on the website.

I post here to get the other views, as most people (as Rickster pointed out), don't even know the AHS/VFS exist(s).

Algy
14th Nov 2003, 16:36
AHS in the US is a pretty influential and very active body. Manufacturing/technology-focused as indicated above. No real pure-rotary equivalent in Anglophone Europe I would say.

Rhett is a very approachable guy who has slaved for the rotary cause in the US for many, many years - and knows whereof he speaks, having been CEO of one (or more?) operators.

Mars
15th Nov 2003, 00:16
Algy:

I think the organising committee of the European Rotorcraft Forum might disagree with your contention. Like the AHS they host and organise a (large) annual forum.

AHS also work quite closely with the Rotorcraft committee of the RAeS - who might also be disappointed with your remarks. Members of the RAeS Rotorcraft committee form the backbone of the ERF organising committee. The ERF, when hosted in the UK, is organised by the RAeS.

Difference in the two organisations - the AHS is a lobbying organisation for US manufacturers, and does it extremely well as you have stated. The ERF is a more pure forum for the advancement of rotorcraft design and development without political intent.

zalt
15th Nov 2003, 17:33
Mars - I disagree regarding ERF. The European manufacturers are not shy of using the conference to push their own interests. Perhaps that is less obvious because of the vast number of overly academic papers at ERF. Though if the Aero Society are so heavily involved in ERF that does explain a lot. The RAeS helicopter offerings have been pretty unimpressive in the last 2-3 years.