PDA

View Full Version : EEG in Class 1 medical - the risks?

GolfWhiskeyKilo
5th Nov 2003, 20:00
Hi all,

Looking at going to get my Class 1 medical in the near future but I have heard that they make you sign a legal release for the EEG that if you die or are harmed by it they take no responsibilty.

I know its something that has to be done but what exactly are the risks as this has me worried now! If they make you sign such a form does it mean there is a very real risk of somthing like death occuring?

I'm not sure if this could put me off the whole idea of commercial flying if the risks are true!

Thanks for your time, Im not being paranoid, just curious :confused:

Ian B
:)

SFI145
5th Nov 2003, 20:52
Try this link for the risks etc associated with the EEG.

http://www.1uphealth.com/health/eeg_risks.html

Rowardennan
5th Nov 2003, 21:26
I took the test at Gatwick a couple of months ago. Basically the form is just a release in case the flashing lights cause a seizure. No mention of death on the form,it's basically just to advise you that if you are susceptible the test might trigger a seizure,obviously they need to make you aware of this. If you are found to suffer from epilepsy they are obviously bound to notify the relevant authorities which will result in any licences you currently hold being suspended/revoked including driving licences

I wouldn't worry about it unduly. I think the failure rate for that part of the medical is 1 in 200,however you can fail on that without having a seizure at all

Circuit Basher
5th Nov 2003, 22:16
Vaguely related question - what sort of intensity / duration is this test? Is it a sort of night club-type intensity for a few seconds, or are we talking about the equivalent of staring at a wingtip strobe at 1m for 10 minutes (as that would do my eyes / head in!).

Rowardennan
5th Nov 2003, 22:29
The test takes an hour. The first 20/25 mins are taken up with having electrodes stuck to your bonce. Then a light is put in front of your face,kind of reminicent of a dentists light

Once the test begins you are subjected to bursts of flashing lights at different frequencies/patterns for about 2 minutes duration each. I think there were about 10 15 different sequences. You do part of the test with your eyes open and part with the eyes closed. It's quite intense but not unpleasant

The last part of the test involves you having to hyperventilate whilst being exposed to the lights for a 4 or 5 minutes,if I recall correctly. You are pretty dizzy by the end of it due to the hyperventilating

It's by far the longest test they carry out. It's actually quite relaxing apart from the last 5 minutes

GolfWhiskeyKilo
5th Nov 2003, 22:30
Hi all,

Thanks for the info so far. I am a little less worried now but still a 1 in 200 failure on what apparently isn't a very accurate test, is quite high!

Circuit Basher - I have heard that the test is about an hour and involves other things, like making you hyperventilate for 3 minutes and others.

It sounds like they try to kill you to test whether you will survive!!

ATB

Ian

QDMQDMQDM
5th Nov 2003, 22:38
Of all the risks you will face in your flying career, this is by far the most minimal. Do not give it a moment's more thought.

Worry more about the stewardess spilling some hot coffee in your lap or a mouse getting caught in your aileron cables or something.

QDM

simfly
5th Nov 2003, 22:38
:eek: hyperventilate???? I did the class 1 2 years ago, and I don't remember the hyperventilate part.... Can someone refresh my memory what goes on?

Rowardennan
5th Nov 2003, 22:40
I was told by the nurse who carried out the test that even if an abnormality shows up on the initial test then you can come back and take it again after being sleep deprived for 24hrs or so(apparently this makes a difference)

I think the 1 in 200 was people who show up with abnormal readings initially

After that if things are still not right you can go for a CAT scan and further investigations by a neurologist which often results in you being cleared

Obviously more expense for you though

Whirlybird
5th Nov 2003, 22:58
During my initial Class 1, I had a long and interesting chat with the doctor at Gatwick about the EEG. I think he said it was 1 in 400 who had some sort of abnormality. But what he definitely said was that after further investigation, NONE of those had proved to have anything wrong! This was since the start of JAR, and I did my initial Class 1 in 2000 or 2001. He was against the EEG being in the medical, as it adds hugely to the cost, for little benefit. Apparently one of the other countries had insisted.

QDMQDMQDM
5th Nov 2003, 23:16
I agree, Whirlybird. It's an utterly pointless investigation in those with no pre-existing symptoms or abnormalities. It's pretty pointless in most cases of epilepsy too.

QDM

Circuit Basher
5th Nov 2003, 23:28
Sounds like fun!! :) Can you go back for more if you have time??!! :yuk: :ugh: :{

FlyingForFun
5th Nov 2003, 23:37
It was fun. Or at least I think it was - I'm pretty sure I was asleep for most of it, or at least very close to being asleep. The nurse didn't seem to mind, though - she told me to relax, and even said that some people fall asleep, and I passed so I don't really care!

FFF
---------------

benhurr
5th Nov 2003, 23:59
Fun? The worst part was having my head repeatedly sandpapered so they could get a good contact with my head - either the nurse was a sadist or my dandruff is worse than I thought

Northern Highflyer
6th Nov 2003, 18:22
Simfly

I took the test a few weeks ago, and as said above, they take a while to stick the electrodes on your head. Then I sat there, eyes shut for a good 20 minutes, and like FFF said, I was nearly asleep. It is very quiet and relaxing. Then after a few open and close eyes exercises it was on to the light, which is placed a few inches in front of you and strobes at different frequencies for a few seconds each time, first with eyes open and then closed. The patterns you see with your eyes closed are fun.

The hyperventilating was for 3 or 4 minutes (can't remember exactly) and, as was explained to me, is to deprive your body of oxygen.

I actually quite enjoyed it in the end and it really isn't anything to worry about.

YYZ
6th Nov 2003, 19:40
And to add to the fun the nurse who did me....sorry tested me was rather attractive, cant of helped though as she straddled me too fiddle with the electrodes:O

Fancy Navigator
13th Nov 2003, 05:07
The lights are not too bad, but the only thing you think about is "when is it going to stop?" :hmm: :sad: :ooh: It is definitely the wildest part of the whole medical!
I understand people who are a bit worried 'cause if they do find something wrong with you, you might lose your driving licence, your PPL, your job.... not nice! :( Come on guys, please reassure us again!
:)

parris50
13th Nov 2003, 05:56
Without doubt, the worst part of the medical is when that guy graps your balls and makes you cough.

Like the others I quite enjoyed the EEG. The flashing lights, especially after hyperventilating, were awesome:ok:

Crepello
13th Nov 2003, 05:57
I did the JAA Class One Initial in The Netherlands, just under a year ago. Didn't have to hyperventilate for the EEG. Found it very relaxing actually, nearly nodded off.

If anyone's bothered about the consequences of epilepsy, there's possibly consolation in the fact that it's better to emerge in an EEG than when you're driving at speed. Anyways, I'm not sure the medical authorities can release your results to others (e.g. driving authorities) without your express permission, or is this covered in the small print?

(YYZ, know what you mean :ok: , my EEG was administered by a delightful specimen).

Fancy Navigator
13th Nov 2003, 21:15
...apparently, they do release your details if they find you have epilepsy, they told me that you can lose your job, your driving licence, your PPL....It is a risk you have to take (but if you want your medical, well... you have to do it)!
I also heard that they only had 1 or 2 actual seizures.... a very small percentage, so you do not need to worry too much...
On the other hand, they are also supposed to be looking for people who may have a tendency for epilepsy, which is a bit more vague....
I suppose (and I may be wrong, so do not hesitate to correct me) that if you are epileptic, you should normally already know it... The website given in the very first few posts is very good and seems to go along these lines.
Anyway, another thing you need to know is that you won't get your results right away, you gonna have to wait for a few days. Therefore, you won't leave Gatwick with your medical in your pocket!
PS: What was the longest you had to wait? Here, 10 working days

QDMQDMQDM
13th Nov 2003, 22:16
I suppose (and I may be wrong, so do not hesitate to correct me) that if you are epileptic, you should normally already know it...

Indeed. An EEG cannot diagnose epilepsy. It may susbtantiate a pre-existing diagnosis of epilepsy or it may, more controversially, point to a predisposition towards epilepsy.

Epilepsy is a clinical diagnosis, made on the history and / or observation of an event.

QDM

SquawkModeA
13th Nov 2003, 22:23
As mentioned, the test is rather straightforward. I personally thought the hyperventilating part was unpleasant - apparently I hyperventilated harder than necessary and was almost unconscious during the last thirty seconds. Takes a while to recuperate.

Other than that, no need to worry.