PDA

View Full Version : Removing a startup blunder

GO DIRECT
5th Nov 2003, 19:03
Hi there, thanks for taking the time to look at this.

I recently re-installed a Win XP Home suite on a computer and all went fine. Except I clicked a wrong tab one time and then the correct one and it is now all installed and working fine, although I get a box come up as the desktop comes up with>

WINDOWS SCRIPT HOST X
Can not find script file
"C:\FACTONLY\WINPROC.VBS".

This is a message that I just want to get rid of every time the computer is started. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Front_Seat_Dreamer
6th Nov 2003, 01:36
GO DIRECT

There are only really acouple of places that this file can be trying to load from so you should check these locations first

Start - Programs - Start Up if there is anything in there right click on it and see if it is pointing to the erroneous file.

Alternatively go to Start - Run - REGEDIT - OK

Now navigate to the following locations

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Run

and check if any of the entries in there mention the erroneous file if so delete it

or try the same in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Run

Please be careful in the registry as deleting the wrong stuff could prove dodgy

There is an alternative solution to save a blank Text file in the location with the exact filename mentioned so you could also try that.

Or go here (http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/) where you can downlolad startuplist which will create a text file which will show you where all startup applications are being loaded from, if stuck PM me.

FSD

ORAC
6th Nov 2003, 03:11
A few other places (http://www.oreilly.com/pub/a/oreilly/windows/ron/startup_0401.html) in the registry it might be, as well as the above or the startup folder.

fobotcso
6th Nov 2003, 05:10
It's also worth bearing in mind that there is not just one "Startup" folder in WinXP. You should check them all.

As well as the Startup Folder for a named User who logs on, there is a Startup Folder for "Administrator" and "All Users".

They are all in C: \Documents and Settings in their respective branches of the tree and can be found by doing a search.

But, as well as the Registry possibility described above and in ORAC's link, there are still other ways that applications are launced; some, such as McAfee VirusScan are launced as a Service. These can be checked under:

Start>Settings>Contol Panel>Administrative Tools>Services

GO DIRECT
6th Nov 2003, 14:37
Many thanks for your time and replies folks. When I get my next trip into the UK I will have a go at your recommendations and see if I can correct the problem. Is it possible via MSN Messenger and through remote assistance to attempt this fix? My MSN says I need to update to the latset version although both computers are running on MSN V6.1.

Thanks once again for your time to reply. GD

Front_Seat_Dreamer
6th Nov 2003, 23:56
Yes you should be able to fix it using remote assistance.