PDA

View Full Version : Max USB lead length

Splat
5th Nov 2003, 17:50
I know the book says 5 meters, but has anybody tried going beyond that, say to 10 meters, and if so, did it work?

newswatcher
5th Nov 2003, 18:08
You can get some "active" repeaters, such as these:eurotech (http://www.secure-server-centre.com/eurotech/datasheet.php?partno=E7508) and starmount (http://www.starmount.co.uk/u_rep1.htm) but I haven't tried them myself!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Nov 2003, 23:52
Splat,

10 meters does not work without amplification of some kind. I had someone try it, and called me in because is usb device was not working. We removed 5 meters and it worked perfectly.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. If I remember correctly he was trying to run a USB Camera.

Splat
7th Nov 2003, 16:21
Thanks for the replies. I bought a 5 meter lead with some sort of repeater on it for £15, then added a 5 meter lead to that and it's hunky dory. Infact, this is comming from said extention, 10 meters away! This repeater claims that it'll do up to 25 meters if you connect multiple leads together, but for my purposes this will suffice.

regards

Splat

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Nov 2003, 07:40
Splat,

Glad to hear you are all set.

Take Care,

Richard

UNCTUOUS
12th Nov 2003, 16:46
Just wondering why you would need that sort of USB distancing?? Shared Printer, scanner perhaps. Anything else?

Rather than go the expense of wireless rigs (hardware and software and security complications) for plugginability elsewhere in (and out of) the house I just ran a few cables alongside some elec power leads and added some network cable plug-in points (upstairs, downstairs, cabana etc). Works for me.

UNC

PPRuNe Towers
12th Nov 2003, 17:04
unctuous,

I blame it on usb cams and it not not being fashionable to have the computer in the bedroom:E :E :E :E Or have I been following the wrong pop ups while bored:uhoh: :uhoh:

Rob

Splat
12th Nov 2003, 17:46
UNCTUOUS,

The reason is that my wife studies in the study where the main PC is with the Broadband connection. I have an old laptop, that I link in via USB from the lounge and I can also work without disturbing her. Works a treat and only cost me £15 worth of cable (as I already had a 5m lead). The alternatives would have cost a lot more.

HTH

Splat

UNCTUOUS
13th Nov 2003, 02:05
That explanation sounds reasonable to me. I wish that computing could be so cheap around here. Since 1987 I've done nothing but shell out on the latest super gadgetry for two sons who always insist on having their hands on everything NEWTECH soonest. I have to make do with their cast-off crud and spend an inordinate amount of time trying to advertise cheaply all the things that were once worth mega-bucks (but are now worthless).

But I guess that it paid off. Son #1 uses that all-singing DSL modem (that he surreptitiously lifted off me and replaced with a crap one) to VPN remote-operate company servers (from home) in Vienna, Auckland, Wellington, Durban, Perth and Sydney. He only goes into the office to ogle the girlies. Son #2 (in his first job) makes twice what his highly qualified Mum does by putting together bespoke software for the Mining Industry. While he was still in University (early this year) but on study vac and working for a XXXX-mine, he was getting phone-calls from the CEO (in the Middle East and Finland and elsewhere) asking him FAQ's about the lad's program - as he unconscionably flogged it off for squillions around the Global mining community.

So I guess that if I'd been stingy about it all, I'd now have a coupla dole-bludgers on my hands. But like you, I run all my cable myself. One of these days I'm going to treat myself to a laptop that's at least a Pentium II standard..... and buy a 17" screen and a wireless mouse. That'll be me going wireless.