PDA

View Full Version : Atlas 747 Nose gear collapse

GO DIRECT
5th Nov 2003, 04:44
Atlas 747 nose gear collapsed on stand in Dubai approx 2010 UTC 04/11/03. No details as to why or any other info, sorry.

acmi48
5th Nov 2003, 18:11
was a/c the one leased to EK,any pictures available yet??hope nobody injured physically

OMDB
5th Nov 2003, 22:50
N355MC 747-300 of Atlas Air...Landing gear was retracted by engineer on stand with no bypass pin resulting in the aircraft initially to pitch up in takeoff position and then when the main gear could retract no further the nose came crashing down onto the apron causing major damage to the already retracting nose gear and bay doors. Luckly no one was injured.

2 Cranes and lots of airbags are currently trying to rectify the situation. The aircraft had around 115 tonnes of cargo loaded at the time...ouch!:ugh:

GlueBall
6th Nov 2003, 00:35
OMDB... "and then when the main gear could retract no further the nose came crashing down..."

Unless the airplane was on jacks, there is insufficient hydraulic pressure for the main gears to even begin the retraction cycle while the airplane is on the ground.

FlyinWithoutWings
6th Nov 2003, 00:45
Don't they have geometric locks to prevent gear retraction on the ground.. the 737s have it.....:hmm:

Airbubba
6th Nov 2003, 01:16
Yep, this has happened before:

http://aviation-safety.net/pictures/displayphoto.php?id=19990815-0&vnr=1&kind=I

Heilhaavir
6th Nov 2003, 09:56
Are we sure it's 355MC?? Seems that this airplane has been flying all week and still is. Surprising if it indeed sustained the damage described earlier. Can anyone verify the tail number?

Pat

ACE Dispatcher
6th Nov 2003, 12:23
I believe it was N24837 now awaiting repair at Dubai's Terminal 2 ramp...

Heilhaavir
6th Nov 2003, 15:38
That's what I've just heard too.......wasn't 355MC.
Cheers
Pat

FlyingSpanner
6th Nov 2003, 18:20
Havent heard this one but I WILL investigate. Working here in Dubai so I shall give an update when I get back to work on saturday.

For the record there are geometric over centre locks on ALL of the landing gear, however it is the positioning of the gear which does make the differance. Yes there is a possibility of the body gear running foreword but it is more likley just to crack the over centre lock than fully retracting. The weight on the wing gear makes it proctically impossible to retract on the ground without jacks or pits. The important 1 that you MUST REMEMBER! Again MUST romember. Is to put the pin into the nose gear. Otherwise CRUNCH.

Foreman not happy and you looking for another job! Well cant take a joke you shouldn't have joined.

Spanner

warp factor
6th Nov 2003, 18:34
The by-pass pin has nothing to do with retraction, try the steering
de activation for towing.Any work on the undercarriage system requires insertion of all gear pins per AMM and a tech log entry to that effect.Someone is due for a roasting.:rolleyes:

under_exposed
6th Nov 2003, 20:24
Any pictures of this?

A40-TY
6th Nov 2003, 21:43
Yes it was definately N24837, i witnessed the whole event - and believe me it will be something i'll never forget. Apparently FAA and Boeing engineers arrive today to assess the damage, etc. The aircraft had 104 tonnes of transit cargo destined for HHN.

gps117
6th Nov 2003, 22:06
it is possible to retract the nose gear on a 747 when the gound lock pin had been removed, trust me, i was a ba classic when the lae retracted the gear - unaware the tuggie had removed the ground pin!

Airbubba
6th Nov 2003, 22:32
>>The important 1 that you MUST REMEMBER! Again MUST romember. Is to put the pin into the nose gear. Otherwise CRUNCH.<<

In the NWA incident at SIN a Boeing nose gear pin was not available for some reason. A locally modified Airbus pin with a handle welded on it was used to pin the nose gear. When the hydraulics were powered, the nose gear door cycled, catching the handle, pulling it out. A guy under the plane saw what was going to happen next and escaped before the inevitable occurred.

Flightmech
7th Nov 2003, 03:03
Oops. Whose responsible for Atlas' maintenance in DXB these days. Is it there own reps or Emirates? Also heard it was a contract company called Flytek(?). Hope she returns to the skies soon. Not trying to apportion blame as i know nothing more about the incident than what i've read on here.:oh:

Flight Detent
7th Nov 2003, 10:29
You're SO right, 'Notso Fantastic',
that FE WAS not so fantastic!
Anytime ANYBODY works on your aircraft after you (the FE!) passes that part of the walkaround, you must always...always...always go back out there and physically check the work has been properly completed (incl. removing 'gear' pins!), so many times I've had to get things sorted in that situation!
One of the many things to check for on the B747 is the gear pins removed, since they are stowed out of sight in the E&E bay!

I would also have 'reamed him out' if I had had anything to do with it, big time!!

If you can't do the job properly, get out of the way and let somebody in who can!!

I am very padantic, I believe you have to be, I've 14,000 hours of accident/incident free flying in my logbook that says so!

Cheers:*

Airbubba
7th Nov 2003, 11:25
>>I would also have 'reamed him out' if I had had anything to do with it, big time!!

If you can't do the job properly, get out of the way and let somebody in who can!!

I am very padantic, I believe you have to be, I've 14,000 hours of accident/incident free flying in my logbook that says so!<<

Yep, there are a lot fewer people with God complexes in aviation these days thanks to CRM but looks like there are still a few...

Gordo
7th Nov 2003, 16:01
I definately could resist after seeing this one during my browsing,

a big 'hear hear' with airbubba!.

soon there wont be any more of these perfect aviators around,
just us plebs who make mistakes!.

SeldomFixit
7th Nov 2003, 17:03
No doubt about it Detent - someone is VERY lucky to have you. Glad it's not us.

ballpoint
7th Nov 2003, 17:10
A question for all you 747 guys and girls:

In our (KLM) a/c we stow the gearpins in the cockpit and not in the E/E compartment, for obvious reasons.

This mod must have saved us a lot of trouble in the past 30 years, I believe.

Regards, Ballpoint.

18-Wheeler
7th Nov 2003, 20:00
I had a quick look at it today, driving past in the crew bus to our plane. Not much to see, just the nose gear doors a bit bent.
There may have been damage elsewhere, but I didn't get a good enough look to find out.

FlightDetent
7th Nov 2003, 21:15
I am very padantic too, I believe you have to be indeed. I've 400 hours of accident/incident free flying in my logbook that says so.

And now it is time I go look for other nick-name.

FlightDetent (exit the scene) :{ :{ :{

overalls
7th Nov 2003, 21:44
They do say that those that never actually do anything never make mistakes!!!!!

turbynetrip
8th Nov 2003, 12:10
N24837...last -300 made, I think...

TT

Kato747
9th Nov 2003, 16:05
Guess some folks in Atlas management just can't wait for 1 December......

GO DIRECT
9th Nov 2003, 16:23
Being a Bus diver and not a Boeing Engineer, here is a sketchy outline view (RUMOUR) of what I was told happened.

Apparently the said aircraft required the landing gear selector unit (ie the gear lever quadrant) to be partially or wholly replaced. Problem was that as the gear wasn't actually being directly worked on and hence the required pins were not in place. As the new equipment was being replaced, not noticed, the selection of the new equipment was at UP, CAUSING GEAR RETRACTION!!

Rumour not fact but most likely very correct form a good source.

Cheers GD :\ :{