PDA

View Full Version : Aviation in Nicaragua-- an update

Panama Jack
5th Nov 2003, 03:53
During the last decade Nicaragua has suffered a number of significant setbacks in the realm of aviation. Until the Revolution and overthrow of Anastasio Somoza Debayle in 1979, Nicaragua was served by it’s flag carrier, LANICA. The Sandinista government renamed the carrier AERONICA and the airline continued and added various donated western and Soviet manufactured aircraft to it’s fleet (Boeing 707, Boeing 720, Antonov AN-32 and Tupolev TU-154M). They also operated a Casa, Boeing 727’s, DC-3’s and a Curtis Commando. After the electoral victory of Violeta Barrios de Chamorro, the airline was again renamed as NICA, S.A. and the fleet was comprised of a single Boeing 737 and a Casa aircraft when it was sold to Grupo TACA. Following the sale, the airline’s identity and many jobs disappeared. Today there are only two regional airlines in Nicaragua. La Costeña, one of the TACA regional airlines operating a fleet of Cessna Caravans a couple of leased Shorts 360’s (from the Panamanian carrier Aeroperlas) domestically. Since 1997 Atlantic Airlines has provided competition for La Costeña by operating a fleet of Let-410’s. During a very short period (Fall 2002 to Spring 2003), Aerosegovia provided additional competition domestically operating an Antonov AN-24B and an AN-26B before suspending operations. Other aviation activity is limited to some older agricultural aircraft, a two-airplane charter/flying school, a couple of corporate aircraft (registered in Guatemala) and a few private airplanes. To say that Nicaraguan aviation is at it’s historical low point would probably be an understatement. A couple of years ago some Nicaraguan investors ran for a few months the shady “virtual” airline SANSA, however it flopped leaving passengers stranded. Similarly, a group of pilots and investors tried to start an international carrier to be known as Air Nicaragua, however, those plans fell apart also.

The way I see it, there are a few significant reasons why Nicaraguan aviation is down in the doldrums. First and foremost, is the economic crisis griping the country. What makes an airplane fly? Money. And there certainly is a shortage of that in Nicaragua these days.

Secondly, we are entering the age of global or mega carriers. It can easily be argued that no country requires a flag carrier for international routes. Today, international traffic into and out of Nicaragua is served by Grupo TACA (which sometimes still quotes the name NICA, S.A.), COPA Airlines, American Airlines, Continental Airlines, IBERIA, and the Honduran “virtual” airline SolAir. I read an article a few years ago where industry watchers were predicting that there would be perhaps 7 or so “Mega” carriers and some low-cost niche carriers.

However, more significantly is the problem of categorization and ICAO regulatory compliance. In 1996 Nicaragua submitted to a voluntary audit by the FAA and was found to not to be in compliance with ICAO standards and thus given “Category III” status. Again, in February 2001 Nicaragua was audited and was found to be non-compliant, resulting in “Category II” status. This means that if a Nicaraguan air carrier desired wanted to operate between Nicaragua to the United States it would not be permitted to do so. The reasons for this categorization include the difficiency of current rules and regulations, the lack of sufficent regulatory oversight

“Category 2, Does Not Comply with ICAO Standards: The Federal Aviation Administration assessed this country's civil aviation authority (CAA) and determined that it does not provide safety oversight of its air carrier operators in accordance with the minimum safety oversight standards established by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). This rating is applied if one or more of the following deficiencies are identified: (1) the country lacks laws or regulations necessary to support the certification and oversight of air carriers in accordance with minimum international standards; (2) the CAA lacks the technical expertise, resources, and organization to license or oversee air carrier operations; (3) the CAA does not have adequately trained and qualified technical personnel; (4) the CAA does not provide adequate inspector guidance to ensure enforcement of, and compliance with, minimum international standards; and (5) the CAA has insufficient documentation and records of certification and inadequate continuing oversight and surveillance of air carrier operations”

Nevertheless, I feel myself someone more optimistic about the forseeable future of aviation in Nicaragua than I have been for some time. It appears that some significant and meaningful changes are happening.

For the last 46 years (since 1956) Nicaraguan aviation has operated under the same rather dated aviation laws. There was a minor revision to this law in 1961, however, since then, there has been no update to the country’s regulations. Needless to say they do not provide sufficient direction for today’s aviation industry.
Currently, the National Assembly has before it a proposed new aviation law—“CODIGO DE AVIACION CIVIL.” It is current and up-to-date, having been worked on for the last few years after a thorough review of aviation laws from a number of countries. In addition, whole piles of new aviation regulations are awaiting implementation after the National Assembly approves the Código, which allows the Aeronautical Authorities to establish technical regulations. The Código will also, amongst other things, see the creation of the Instituto Nicaragüense de Aeronáutica Civil (INAC), which will replace the current Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil (DGAC). The significance of this body being an “Institution” is that it will be allowed to collect fees from airport users ($3 for international passengers) for funding its operation. Currently DGAC is grossly underfunded. This proposed legislation can be viewed by clicking this link:

Código de Aviacion Civil (http://legislacion.asamblea.gob.ni/IniciativasComWeb.nsf/0/59449a8ab1e34b1306256d9d00662c52?OpenDocument)

Furthermore, there is a fair amount of work in updating aviation infrastructure. The first ILS-DME approach was commissioned on Runway 09 in Managua in the summer of July 2001. Terminal upgrades are ongoing at Managua, Bluefields, Puerto Cabezas and Corn Island. In early October, opening ceremonies were held for a new control tower at Managua. Managua’s new secondary surveillance radar (no radar previously) is now operational and I understand that the controllers still gaining familiarity (advisories only) before fully using it for vectors and separation early next year.

For a country who’s aviation system has been in such a sorry state for so many years in a country that is going though some very difficult times, this is indeed a cheering experience and something to be optimistic about.

GlueBall
6th Nov 2003, 02:15
Good update. Unfortunately the economy is still bankrupt. And the country is not exactly a garden spot for tourists. Therefore, Aviation obviously isn't a high priority in a country where the majority of its citizens are living in poverty. Just going to the main airport of any country usually represents an open "window" of its infrastructure and financial health.
Despite ongoing improvements MGA is practically derelict; it's pax terminal still is in need of a major makeover, its old abandoned terminal is an eyesore, the former Sandinista gun emplacements adjacent to the runway scare ordinary passengers, the single 8012' runway is in horrible shape with holes and uneven pavement surface, and on the approach end of Rwy 27 many lights are inop. Not good.

Panama Jack
6th Nov 2003, 03:05
Wow. You are right about the economy. Things have a way to improve yet. Tourism is gaining strength, but more significantly there needs to be an eduation of Nicaraguans regarding tourism-- I find that Costa Ricans have much more of a conscience about this. Yet I have seen real progress during the last few years, but Personally, I would like to see more tourism but would hate to see Nicaragua completely overrun by tourists also.

I am curious when you were last in Managua? Most parts of the Pax terminal have had a major makeover and, with the exception of the cramped (and still unrenovated) check-in area for Continental/COPA/TACA/Iberia/Atlantic Airlines/American Airlines, the lay-out and functioning of the airport seems to work well. In all the years I've flown into and out of there-- I have yet to see the gun emplacements (I will be looking for them the next-time though)-- on the otherhand the occupied pillboxes in Guatemala City immediately caught my attention. The old abandonded terminal is an eyesore/ OK, I guess I look at it as a historic building and still used for cargo. Panama City still has it's old terminal used for Cargo. So do many other places. I don't expect that MNMG will ever look like KLAX or KIAH.

Nevertheless, given some 30 years of neglect, things are slowly shaping up. That is cool, in all the times that I've flown into MNMG (both as a pilot and as an airline pax) I've never landed/taken-off on Rwy 27 . . . always turns out to be 09.

As far as the overall poverty situation of the country? :sad: Well, what can I say-- this is the cost of 100 years of poor internal politics, war, dictatorship, corruption and economic embargos. A major portion of the external debt is about to be pardoned and the country will be joining CAFTA shortly, but the road ahead to a possible meaningful improvement is still long and hard. Nicaragua entered the 21st Century in worse shape than it did the 20th Century. I'll admit I'm not an optimist on the outlook of that. :ugh:

flufdriver
6th Nov 2003, 10:27
Thanks for your report PJ. It is informative to read submissions like yours. Nicaragua certainly has suffered more then its share of hardship.

I do operate into Managua every now and then but usually rather late in the evening, on a charter basis (after all the scheduled flights for the day have been completed) most of the time we have a quick turn-around and my ground time is taken up with paperwork and dealing with handlers. Perhaps some day I will have some more time to take a better look at the place!

Carlos R
12th Nov 2003, 02:42
Panama Jack : Could you give the fleet size for Atlantic in Nicaragua as well as the other domestic operators. Atlantic has been growwing a lot here in Honduras.

Thanks

Carlos

Panama Jack
12th Nov 2003, 12:01
Hola Carlos,

Although I am not absolutely certain (my flying in Nicaragua these days is solely as an airline passenger/ my professional flying takes me to the Middle East), I believe the Atlantic Airlines fleet in Nicaragua is currently 3 Let 410's. They certainly have more deployed under Guatemalan, Honduran and Costa Rican registration and I believe they move these around as necessary, simply reregistering them as the need dictates.

According to the TACA Regional website, La Costeña has 2 Shorts 360's and 4 Cessna Grand Caravans.

Those are the 2 airlines in Nicaragua, now that Aerosegovia is gone (although the aircraft were still on the ramp at MNMG as of a few weeks ago).

Panama Jack
1st Jul 2004, 10:37
After many delays and much anticipation, the National Assembly yesterday (June 30, 2004) passed into law theCódigo de Aeronáutica Civil (http://legislacion.asamblea.gob.ni/IniciativasComWeb.nsf/0/59449a8ab1e34b1306256d9d00662c52?OpenDocument).

This is extremely important to the further development of Nicaraguan aviation as it replaces the Código de Aviación Civil, Decreto No. 176 of 1956 and it's very minor ammendment of 1961. Since 1961, despite the changes and advances in aviation the Nicaraguan aviation legislation has not been ammended and this has handicapped Nicaraguan civil aviation and it's ability to comply with ICAO norms. This fact, played a major role in maintaining Nicaragua in Category II status. In effect, yesterday an almost 50 year old law was updated!

The Código de Aeronáutica Civil is a foundation for the revision and development of Aviation Regulation, guidelines and new, badly needed funding for the Nicaraguan civil aviation directorate (which will now become an institute and replace the Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil with the Insituto Nicaragüense de Aeronáutica Civil [INAC]).

Overall, a very positive step forward and a cheering event!!! :ok:

Article in La Prensa (http://www.laprensa.com.ni/nacionales/nacionales-20040701-15.html)

http://www.pinoleros.com/portalimages/banderana.gif

flufdriver
3rd Jul 2004, 20:32
Well I hope the updated Law serves everyone affected by it well!

While I have your attention Panama Jack,
can you tell me if, in the case where I would like to fly from Cayman to Bluefields and back, I would have to go into Managua to clear (for entry and exit) or if Bluefields is a port of entry?

I know I could find out elsewhere, but sometimes not everything that is written is being practised!

Thanks ;)

Panama Jack
5th Jul 2004, 17:46
Lemme find out for you Flufdriver. I believe Managua is the only airport of Entry, but I will get back in a couple of days with the answer.

crack up
6th Jul 2004, 17:17
Puerto Cabezas has customs and immigration. Arrangments need to be made well in advance with all involved (CAA ect.).

Panama Jack
7th Jul 2004, 12:35
flufdriver,

I was at Aeronáutica Civil yesterday and concur with what crack up says. They told me that there are two requirements:

1) You require approval from the Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil for the flight to Bluefields. The required information and contact is in the International Flight Information Manual (IFIM) (http://www.faa.gov/ats/aat/ifim/ifimniai.htm).

2) You need to coordinate with the Bluefields airport authorities. They will arrange for Immigration, Customs, and Police presence. Bluefields is managed by EMPRESA ADMINISTRADORA DE AEROPUERTOS INTERNACIONALES (EAAI) (http://www.eaai.com.ni/english/aero/blue.shtml#)

My well intentioned friend told me to advise you to make sure that you have these things in order prior to showing up, given that the Atlantic Coast is a sensitive region these days, due to the amount of international drug trafficking occuring out there these days. Hope this helps. :8

Cayman Flyer
7th Jul 2004, 19:25
Flufdriver

Just looked through this thread and noticed you are based in the Cayman Islands. Me also but unfortunately not got a flying job yet and therefore have a lot of free time.

Wondered if you had any advise regarding getting work around the Caribbean, Central America. Hold FAA and JAA CPLs

Kind regards

flufdriver
7th Jul 2004, 22:48
Well, I don't want to sound too optimistic because eventhough it has been a while, I still remember the days when I was building up my hopes every time someone repeated a positive rumor.

I believe that we are getting in to an upswing in the aviation industry throughout the region and from my observation throughout the world, it may therefore be a very good time to find a Pilot position.

From colleagues around the region, from the Bahamas to Trinindad, I gather that there is hiring going on all over, even if it is only recalling furloghed Pilots in some cases.

In Cayman itself, if even some of the "talked about plans" materialize, I would expect that within the next 12 months up to 10 new Pilots will be added to commerial operations based here. It remains to be seen how many of those positions will be filled by locals, I doubt that there are enough of them.

It doesn't hurt to go and show your smiling face to the people that matter!

Good luck