PDA

View Full Version : Discussion from Rotorheads - Your thoughts please!

The Jaguar Fan Club
5th Nov 2003, 02:32
(I have posted this in both Military Aircrew and Rotorheads)

The military aircraft and those who support them (FRA etc) seem to be increasingly disregarding all the information printed on their charts with the introduction of the MDA's. They also seem to miss the fact that the base of most MDA's are well above the HMR's for a reason, but still insist on conducting exercises at low level below them, right in the teeth of sustained helicopter operations. We have a JMC on at the moment and all the visiting aircraft call us as per the ACN, but local based jets (no names, no pack drill) still get in the way and make life difficult for everyone.

Do these crews actually brief the HMR's? It seemingly is becoming the norm to ignore them and use the "It's class G mate..." excuse. Class G it may be, but I always thought CFS tought AIRMANSHIP as well! :confused:

Believe it or not, it is not always Air Traffic's fault when two aircraft get close in the North Sea, especially when the aircraft are not always in radar cover, or are at the limits of cover. Military Fast Jet jockeys are reluctant to tell even their own controllers (both ATC and Fighter Controllers)what they are doing and the first we both know is when a pilot calls to say "I'd like to report an airprox".

At my unit, it is very difficult even when providing the highest service we can (Modified RAS) and with the aircrew being VERY aware of other airspace users, a 5 ship of fast movers working SFC to FL240 end up in a mix up all round your Super Puma doing 120 kts. Where does he go? Which way to turn? Climb? Descend? Co-ordinate with a Fighter Control Unit? Very difficult!

We can only provide crews with the information we have, which at best can be ancient history by the time we get it.

To the Mil guys reading this, I would be interested in your views on the North sea HMR's and why you get stuck in about them day after day seemingly disregarding the promulgated routes, and the information passed on traffic through Buchan and Neat. Each one of these helis carries up to 21 people!

To the North sea crews reading this, Hope this helps to emphasise that we are trying our best to keep you in the loop with regard to the mil activity and to avoid it, but we have, at present, no way of esuring that you wont come face to face with a fast pointy thing on the HMR's (especially when working Information...remember no radar!).

Rant over. Not pointing the finger at anyone, just keen to get views!!

TJFC

:ok:

high spirits
5th Nov 2003, 03:56
i would never suggest 2 wrongs could make a right, but do civilians have to recognise MATZ? My understanding is no they don't (but they would be foolish not to in terms of basic airmanship). Some civilians still bust into MATZ; and I'm sure vice versa with monotonous regularity. The HMRs take out a large amount of class G and the onty way round it might be to publish the activity by military NOTAM.

The Jaguar Fan Club
5th Nov 2003, 18:21
Thanks for your reply high spirits....a fair point! :ok:

But as you say, 2 wrongs dont make a right. Perhaps airmanship is the common factor? :confused:

As regards military notam action, it would probably be promulgated as a permanent notam as there is activity daily up to around 5000ft. But would this work when the HMR's and their activities are published in the Mil AIP, BINA, Low level and En Route charts etc and we still get problems on a daily basis?

We do publish notams through ALFENS ops (HOOPS) when the helicopters are not adhering to the published procedures due to weather (icing, strong winds etc).

I am all for the crews and the controllers all getting together to discuss this one. At the moment I understand that it is higher echelons dealing with it first and then telling the troops what the new policy is. I feel it is far better to let the guys doing the job understand each others needs and come up with a plan that works, then present it up the chain to become policy.

The point being, lets not get to the stage where paperwork is flying around and questions have to be asked. There has got to be a reasonable way around it!!

TJFC
:ok: