PDA

View Full Version : Studying And Working In The US

gconaty
5th Nov 2003, 02:26
Hi

I am currently studying a BTEC Higher National Diploma in Aerospace Engineering and once i complete the course i wish to travel to the US to study for a degree over there. My only problem being once i pass my current course in the UK i will take the JAR66 exam. If i have a JAR66 license how can i convert this to a FAA license. My plan was to get my JAR66, transfer it to a FAA license if possible and work in the US for a year to get money together before studying at a uni over there.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how i can go about this and any other general comments about how i could go about going to study over there, what pay is like voer there etc...

Its just an idea at the minute but i am determined i want to move to the US at some point in the near future.

cheers

Lear_doctor
5th Nov 2003, 18:20
Your plan of 'transferring' your JAR66 into an FAA A&P licence I'm afraid is not possible. The system in the USA will give you no credit for the JAR66 licence, you will have to start again.

On the bright side, the theory knowledge gained during the 66 process will hold you in good stead, but the exam will still have to be passed. You also have to prove you have enough experience to even sit the exam, your 66 will at least give you that, as I understand the system.

Getting an FAA A&P licence is not impossible as they have school's specifically set up in the US for the purpose. Two weeks exam training in one of these schools is about average for an experienced technician. After the 'training' you will go to an exam centre and try to pass 5 multi choice exams. Its done in front of a computer screen and the results are given to you immediately.

Once you pass all 5 you are eligible for the second part of the exam process. All the questions are published, and the school will test you on most of them during your 2 weeks your there.

Part 2

You will have a practical and oral examination with a representative of the FAA. If your only 'experience' on aircraft is through college and the bit you need for the 66, then you may find that element of the exam difficult.

Hope the above helps. If you need more info send me a private message and I will give you my work number.

Regards

The Doc