PDA

View Full Version : Help Please: Add/Remove Programmes...

PCMM
4th Nov 2003, 21:03
Morning all

Can anyone help me. I'm trying to clean up my PC at home, and have the following questions:

1. How can I remove the Network Neighbourhood icon from my W98SE Desktop?

2. How can I remove programmes that are listed in the add / remove programmes app within the control panel, but give error messages when I try to remove them?

Many thanks

PC

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Nov 2003, 23:43
PCMM,

It has been a long time since I used Win98. If I remember correctly:

1) To clear your desktop, use Regedit:

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Current Version \ Policies \ Explorer

From the menu select Edit > New > DWORD value

Name it NoDesktop

Double-click this entry and give it the value 1

Close the registry editor and reboot your computer

2) If the uninstall errors in add/remove programs, that usually means the program was just deleted from the hard drive without using the uninstall program. You could reinstall the programs to uninstall them properly, or use Regedit:

Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall

Delete the program entry here

Close the Registry Editor and restart Windows

(TweakUI will do this too and is a lot safer than going into the registry.)

Take Care,

Richard

Mac the Knife
5th Nov 2003, 02:24
"Consequences of hiding Network Neighborhood:

Since shell support for the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) notation is handled by the Network Neighborhood, hiding the Network Neighborhood icon will prevent Explorer from accessing resources via UNCs. In order to access network resources from Explorer, you need to map them to a drive letter. Note that the MS-DOS command prompt and other applications are not affected by this setting, because they do not use the Network Neighborhood to resolve UNCs.

In particular, hiding the Network Neighborhood prevents Direct Cable Connection from displaying the contents of the host computer. Apart from this, Direct Cable Connection functions normally. "

This may not apply to a registry hack - try it and see.