PDA

View Full Version : C206s where are you?

Foxtrot_Lima_Mike
4th Nov 2003, 20:22
Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me where can I find a C206 to get endorsed on. Preferably in Syd...

Regards,
FLM

Rich-Fine-Green
5th Nov 2003, 01:16
C206/C210 is becomming a rare animal nowadays for rental fleets.

Attrition, Insurance and growing bush demand are the culprits.

:uhoh: :sad:

scrambler
5th Nov 2003, 06:08
Dont Know about Sydney but Stawell Aviation Services in Victoria have one, would be worth the trip to do it there.

the wizard of auz
5th Nov 2003, 08:11
Mate, If you have a PPL and a CSU endorsment, your already endorsed to fly it. No such thing as a 206 endorsment anymore........ unless you meant to post this thread on the rotorheads forum and meant to say B206.

Islander Jock
5th Nov 2003, 15:30
Aw c'mon now Wiz,
You know as well as I do that you need to be endorsed on every different type of single you fly:E
One school I know of was even issuing sticky labels for individual aircraft types that are covered under the CSU/RG endorsement. Sure, check rides are necessary to meet insurance requirements and make sure the hirer is happy with your knowledge of the aircraft systems and ability to handle the thing but some schools tend to go just a little over the top.

Transition Layer
5th Nov 2003, 17:51
There is at least one C210M at Bankstown, VH-MDZ, which operates through either Illawarra Flying School or Chieftain Aviation.

I don't remember the going rate off the top of my head, but make sure they don't con you with a "5hr endorsement" b*ll**** program. Out to the training area for some general handling etc and a look at the emergency extension procedure, and back in for some circuits. 1-1.5hrs should suffice, plus a good couple of hours going over aircraft systems in the endorsement sheet.

I know it's not a C206, but if you can fly a C210, you can fly a C206. C206 handles a little differently closer to the ground and can be more difficult to make nice landings in - the STOL-like capabilities make it pretty good fun too! Once in the air, engine handling for both aircraft is the same, but obviously the C206 is easier to slow down due to fixed undercarriage.

Cheers,
TL

Wheeler
6th Nov 2003, 05:57
FLM - be careful with some of this advice here. Many insurance policies do demand 5 hrs dual on those types before you can chuff off. (There are good reasons for that ask Illawarra) If someone does let you go with a couple of circuits and the insurance policy is endorsed so, you could well find yourself uninsured. (You can always ask for a look at the policy BTW.)

Foxtrot_Lima_Mike
6th Nov 2003, 06:24
5 hrs dual !!! You must be kidding me !!! And it won't be the first time I'll be flying a CSU/retractable craft. Else, maybe I would have understood...

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the info guys.

FLM.

sancho
6th Nov 2003, 09:01
About 5 years ago I did the same as you, I went to Illawarra to get 210 time prior to the big trek north to look for work.

I got checked out in the 210 in about 3 hours, we did a training area flight with a few circuits, and a few months later (due finances) I did a short nav. No problems for me.

But a month or so later I went to hire one and both BEC and M?? were busted, victims of low hour 210 pilots banging them on the very weak nose gear. Both aircraft were idle for a very long time (6 months plus) so a big loss to the owners in revenue, as well as the insurance excess on a 60,000+ odd repair!

I guess the owners are now very wary of hiring to low timers as their premiums and excesses would have no doubt skyrocketed!

I hope this reassures you that they are probably not ripping you off in asking for 5 hours dual, regardless of your experience on other retractables. It is their aircraft anyway. Would you let a stranger drive your new HSV GTS or Ford GT without being absolutely sure of his attitude to driving and ability??

High Altitude
6th Nov 2003, 09:12
Common now...

It all depends on your experience level.

200 hours then yes I would say 5 hours would be fair...
1000 hours then...
Depends on what you have been flying, PA28- C210 big step, C182 - C206 very little step.

Everyone must be taken individually.

Saying that we require a minimum of 10 hours ICUS.

HA...

p.s. I think i'm the worlds worst 210 driver...

slice
6th Nov 2003, 09:33
That one was up in the NT with KAKair a few years back - good speed but hot as hell with weak vents. We used arrange with the pax. to open the window with our arm crooked around the underside to give everyone a blast of fresh air. :}

flying_phonebox
6th Nov 2003, 19:34
Maybe u should get into 210 endorsements HA?