PDA

View Full Version : Ek340s

stormcloud
4th Nov 2003, 12:07
Hi,
Would much appreciate any info on the ex SIA 340-300s going to Emirates or a pointer as to where to find it.
Nothing found on the Airbus/Boeing websites.
Variant/Weight limits/Engines and any other usefull info.
Many thanks.
stormcloud

jettison valve
10th Nov 2003, 04:41
Hi,

have a look at
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airtrade/minispec/185.pdf

That should give you an idea what to expect.

I must admit I still can`t believe EK will operate those a/c, especially over a long period of time (nine years...?!). I would have understood that they take up the last two or three that are still to be delivered - but as the rumours quote nine a/c, a number of the old a/c that have been in storage for quite some time must come into play... Awesome!

Cheers,
J.V.

millerscourt
10th Nov 2003, 14:33
Jettison Valve As I understand it,it is not a Rumour about EK taking 9 ex SIA A340 but FACT as it comes directly from Emirates web site.

Whether they actually operate them for 9 years then only time will tell.

These aircraft were bought by Boeing from SQ in a large B777 deal a few years ago. I suspect these aircraft will do a "musical chairs" and perhaps end up being bought by Airbus as part of the A380 deal!!!???

I cannot see what is awesome about this??

What probably is awesome is where are Emirates going to get the Pilots from to fly these aircraft???

There seem to be more and more jobs around now and perhaps EK will find that they are not so popular after all??

stormcloud
11th Nov 2003, 18:23
Thanks JV,

Looks about right, 275.0 MTOW is what I'm hearing in company.

Anyone know what the C4s are rated at in this version?

I understand we will have 18 A340s by the end of 2004, including the 9 -300s, if we have enough drivers!

jettison valve
12th Nov 2003, 05:09
millerscourt,

what I find surprising (this is probably the more suitable word than "awesome") is the fact that Emirates - certainly one of the leading airlines on this planet - is

a) leasing in used aircraft at all, and
b) of all available aircraft especially THOSE aircraft...!

I still don`t know exactly which MSNs we are talking about, but SQ has sometime stopped upgrading them (understandably), and Boeing never really "attacked" them with great enthusiasm...

And: Keep in mind that some of those a/c have been sitting around for something like two years already...!

All the best with those A340s...! ;-)
J.V.

fatbus
12th Nov 2003, 11:56
why used? because we can't get enough new ones fast enough.
why340's ? we have the sim amd mmf with the 330.
DEC thing not working very well but still have alot of pilots avail.

jettison valve
16th Nov 2003, 05:03
fatbus,

there is nothing wrong with the A340 or A330 in general - it`s just that I am puzzled by Emirates phasing in those ex SIA A340 (I know a little bit about their condition).

I heard Airbus raised hell on a number of operators who were talking to Boeing about the ex SIA A340. Does anyone know how AI has reacted upon learning of the discussed EK deal?

Cheers,
J.V.

CaptSnails
17th Nov 2003, 14:50
Nothing wrong with those ex SIA A340's (A340-313's) I fly them every day and they are a charm to fly. We have two on line and just received the third one.

millerscourt
17th Nov 2003, 15:23
Capt Snails Glad to hear you like them. Certainly when I flew them they were fine.

The pax seats were lousy ,cheap and nasty but I guess you have new updated interiors??

THe first 3 ex A340,s that went to Cathay evidently had to have very expensive engine work for reasons ever explained.

Hope you don,t have to fly the A340 which almost went supersonic due to gigantic engineering cockup by SIA!!!

jettison valve
20th Nov 2003, 03:12
CaptSnails,
what I was driving at is that you need to maintain an aircraft *continously*, otherwise it`ll come back to you in the long run.
Now, your two/three A340s were redelivered rather quickly (we are talking about GF, I assume) after being phased out by SQ. But what about those that have been sitting on the tarmac for years now...!?

millerscourt,
the three A340s that went to CX reportedly had some badly overtemped engines. As nobody took the blame, they lingered around at HX for quite some time.

What`s the story behind the supersonic A340...? *curious*

Bye,
J.V.