PDA

View Full Version : RAF - Rules are rules?

UAU242
3rd Nov 2003, 21:54
Hi there,
I'm looking for advice from the RAF fliers among us.
I was recently denied a bursary with Air Force and discharged from my UAS based on the residency rule. Citizenship is no problem and i've been with my UAS for 2 years.

Can't the rules be disregarded by someone up at Cranwell as the most logical thing to do is allow me to carry on with my flying training?

Would appreciate some thoughts.

Cheers!

European Crash
3rd Nov 2003, 22:04
I presume you mean the five years' residency prior to entry into the RAF?

This is an RAF imposed requirement, not to be confused with the normal 5 years' residency prior to applying for British Citizenship, which is a Home Office rule - which is currently being waived for serving members of the RAF.

I would suggest that you obtain in wiriting the reasons for the refusal; if all other criteria (academic etc) are met, I suspect that you could appeal. Good luck, in any case.

Have gone through similar over my Australian citizenship.

EC

sarboy w****r
7th Nov 2003, 05:34
UAU242,

I joined a UAS in my first year of uni as a VR, having lived in the UK for 12 months. Got cadetship 3 years later, and joined up when I finished. Dual nationality (I'm Australian) was not an issue at any point. Prior to the 12 month period before uni I hadn't ever lived in the UK.

I suggest you try and dig a little deeper into the situation. Perhaps someone is talking bollocks? In any case, the Secretary of State is allowed to waive residency requirements if it is in the country's best interests to do so, and I imagine this ability is delegated down to someone within PMA. And broadly speaking, it is in the country's interests if they want you in.

Good luck,

SBW

UAU242
13th Nov 2003, 00:23
Cheers for the replies guys!
Cranwell did send me a letter a few months ago. The letter basically just gave me the reasons for the 5 year residency rule and said I could re-apply next september.
My squadron Adj advised me to write back to them recognising their reasons but also underlining my situation once again with the hope they will think twice and allow me to continue. I'm now waiting for a reply from them.
I will post again once I have a reply as I'm bound to need some more advice, should i be unsuccessful.
Cheers again!
UAU242