PDA

View Full Version : FR may cut STN routes?

Uncle Monty
3rd Nov 2003, 21:54
BUDGET AIRLINE MAY CUT UNDER-USED NEW ROUTES

Low fares airline Ryanair has threatened to cut some under-performing new routes, leaving uncertainty hanging over holidays and second home owners in France.

The Irish airline said some of its new routes from Stansted launched this summer, particularly ``one or two French destinations'' and routes to the Netherlands and Belgium, are not attracting enough passengers.

It said it would replace a small number with alternative services and destinations if passenger numbers do not pick up significantly in the winter.

Ryanair did not name the routes under threat.

It flies to 19 destinations in France, two in Belgium and three in Holland.

The growth of low fares services to previously little known French destinations such as Pau, Clermont-Ferrand and Brest has sparked a surge in people buying holiday homes.

The airline also said it was in talks with partners at Stockholm Skavsta airport in Sweden to try to raise the performance of three routes operated from there to other destinations in Scandinavia.

Ryanair said it would replace the services with new international routes from Skavsta if it cannot raise passenger numbers to satisfactory levels.

The Irish airline yesterday unveiled record net profit growth of 16 per cent to 175.5 million euros (œ120 million).

It said traffic in the six months to September 30 rose by 45 per cent to 11.3 million and revenues were up 28 per cent to 596.4 million euros (œ407.6 million).

The group added, however, that operating costs rose 32 per cent and after-tax margins were down as expected to 29 per cent from 32 per cent.

But it said it continued to grow profitably in the face of adverse market conditions across Europe.

Chief executive Michael O'Leary said: ``The strength of our traffic and profit growth, as well as the exceptional margins, once again proves our doubters wrong.''

Ryanair has 136 low fare routes across 16 countries, operating 68 aircraft and employing 2,200 people.

It has increased capacity this summer by more than 50 per cent, launched more than 50 new routes and opened two new bases, at Skavsta and Milan.

Ryanair said most of the company's new services had performed extremely well and it was now running slightly ahead of an expected 5 per cent decline for the year in load factors, which measure the proportion of seats it has filled.

It is launching 13 new routes this winter, including two from Birmingham, one from Bournemouth, three from Glasgow, four from London, two from Frankfurt and one from Stockholm.

Buster the Bear
3rd Nov 2003, 22:29
Would those routes possibly for the chop be the 'thinner' routes currently operated by the ex Buzz 146's?

eurostar builder
3rd Nov 2003, 22:42
Would the aircraft on the routes that are looking to scraped be used on the 13 new routes for the winter.

Or have the 13 new routes already been started.

virginblue
3rd Nov 2003, 22:58
Poor performers are Ostend, Groningen, Maastricht, Reims, Pau, Brest and Clermont-Ferrand. As soon as the 146s, -200s and -300s are gone, they are no longer feasible.

brabazon
3rd Nov 2003, 23:12
vb - buzz only had 146-300s.

FlyLowCost
3rd Nov 2003, 23:22
From Skavsta the underperformed routes are:

- Tampere
- Torp
- Aarush

The first two routes started with two daily flights but it seems now they couldn't fill one.
Here I see a big mistake in the commercial department.

wobblyprop
3rd Nov 2003, 23:41
i think vb might have meant the 146 fleet, 733 and 732 with the smaller capacity. All would, i imagine, be better on thinner routes.

Oh, and just how long does it take to fly to ostend? i've got the idea in my head that it takes longer to taxi than fly :p

Profit Max
4th Nov 2003, 00:10
wobblyprop - STN-Ostend is still quite a bit longer than, for example, Antwerp-Rotterdam (VLM) or Maastricht-Dusseldorf (V-Bird). I am wondering if anyone at all is flying on these two routes. At least there is the channel between Ostend and Stansted and you can't drive there or go by train!

Tenminutes
4th Nov 2003, 01:31
Suspect the news of route (and aircraft) cuts will be announced in due course....:mad:

Mouser
4th Nov 2003, 03:22
Ryanair, to many routes from Southeast (Stansted), try some routes the Northwest, like Liverpool your Northern hub, my arse!

LGS6753
4th Nov 2003, 03:23
When the 146s go, and the 732s are scrapped, FR will only be left with 738s. At 189 pax these are big aeroplanes to start new routes with.
The role model (Southwest) operates an all-737 fleet, but different sizes so that routes can be started 'thin' and 'broadened' over time. Has FR made a serious strategic error in going for commonality on a too-large type? It is noticeable that EZY went for the -700 then the A319 rather than -800 and 320.

vmoandco
4th Nov 2003, 03:44
I heard they might take some 737-700 to replace the 146's from Buzz... may be just a rumour...?

FlyLowCost
4th Nov 2003, 04:41
And what about the B737/600 as replacement of the -200, since it offers the same capacity (130 seats in an all Y configuration)

SAS is trying to sell its B736 fleet, but nobody wants to buy them. At the same time nobody order it to Boeing. So it's a plane with a interesting price in the second hand market.

FlyingIrishman
4th Nov 2003, 15:51
The 737-600 isn't really cost efficient. At insignificantly more fuel consumption, the -700 will offer more seats while costs to run them are virtually identical.

bacardi walla
5th Nov 2003, 16:54
what will happen to the Buzz 733's then - are they staying or going ?