PDA

View Full Version : AV8air

Captain Lampshade
3rd Nov 2003, 19:21
Does anyone know whether they have had their licences granted and are operating yet ?

charterguy
4th Nov 2003, 03:18
Heard from friends in SA that the route licences for DUB-CPT-DUB have been granted, despite objections from SAA. AV8air can do the route proving this year.

If the route is any good, there are already 2 South African carriers (not SAA) ready to fly the route next year. Unlike AV8air, they would not need to worry about 5th freedom traffic rights.

As for licences MAN-CPT-MAN, not sure. The tour operator who is selling the seats has just dropped their rates by £50. Doesn't look good, I guess. Still, probably not low enough to compete with Nationwide Airline's new service ex London, which I is to lead in at around £395.00 plus taxes, see www.flynationwide.co.za

So if you fancy your winter hols in South Africa, now is the time with plenty seats on offer.

CG

flymeagain
4th Nov 2003, 06:49
I had a friend who was offered a job with them as a junior over the phone but was told not to give their notice in just yet!! It don't sound good for them!!

Captain Lampshade
4th Nov 2003, 16:19
CG,

Many thanks, will watch with interest.

charterguy
4th Nov 2003, 16:32
Not trying to sound alarmist, but Nationwide Airlines have taken out a full page ad in this weeks TTG, offering flights from Gatwick to Johannesburg for £199 including taxes.

Whalerider
5th Nov 2003, 06:11
I think this is just a promotional fare for the first couple of weeks - that is the case via Touchdown.

charterguy
5th Nov 2003, 17:39
I think this is just a promotional fare for the first couple of weeks - that is the case via Touchdown.

Perhaps, but where is AV8air/CT2's promotional fare of £199 return ????

Trouble is, they are another 'me too' tour operator having a go at creating an 'IN HOUSE' virtual airline, and it looks like their marketing budget is limited those tiny ads in TTG and Travel Weekly and few glossy brochures offering flights, 'subject to government approval' !!

I for one would not wish to plan my holidays 'subject to government approval ? '

CG