PDA

View Full Version : SAS registration changes

knobbygb
3rd Nov 2003, 17:49
I've always wondered why many SAS aircraft are moved between the registers of the three countries (OY,SE,LN) from time to time. Is it a reflection of where the aircraft are based and/or the nationalities of the crews used, or is it perhaps just to keep a 'fair' balance between the countries in terms of numbers of aircraft?

For example, many of the newer NG 737's were moved to the Norwegian register fairly early in their lives, and some of the 767's have been on all three in short sucession.

I'd have thought that under JAA it didn't make any difference which Eurpoean country the aircraft was registered in. I'm sure the paperwork and costs involved must be quite considerable, so there must be a good reason. Is the company truly run as an international concern or are there many such, less visible boundaries in other areas?

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
4th Nov 2003, 19:36
I don't understand the fine detail but I believe it's all down to tax advantages that exist, mainly in Norway which is not part of the European Community but is part of the European Economic Area.

Md-driver
4th Nov 2003, 21:16
It is purely a political reason. Three countries owning the airline, therefore there has to be a balance between the regs and the owners. When one aircraft type is fased out (presently 767īs) the registrations of the the remaining aircraft have to be balanced.

Exel
12th Nov 2003, 22:42
As i understand it, a certain percentage of aircraft have to be registered in each of the 3 countries for tax reasons. What those percentages are i don't know, but it is not a 33.333% split.