PDA

View Full Version : airlaw and house rental

garymortimer
3rd Nov 2003, 17:47
Will be arriving in SA on Thursday want to get my ballooning licence validated quickly so need to take airlaw, any of you guys running Gauteng flying schools??

Next ask... we will be setting up in the Natal Midlands, anybody got good contacts for rental property??

thanks in advance

gary

http://www.balloonsafarisdirect.com

George Tower
3rd Nov 2003, 20:11
I'm sure a search on here would yield the names of the Gauteng based flying schools - also check out www.aeropages.com as that's more geared to the General Aviation community where I think a few of the regular contributors are linked to flying schools.

As for property here's the websites of a couple of SA's biggest estate agents - you might get a better deal brokering the deal yourself rather than through these large companies that always take a rather large cut for themselves

www.pamgolding.co.za
www.seeff.co.za

Regards

GT

B Sousa
3rd Nov 2003, 22:11
Advice from one who parted with some Rand TWICE. Dont go into the airlaw exam cold. www.aeronav.co.za has a Study guide, you can call them on the phone. On my second shot I used the guide along with the latest Radio Manual and had no problem....
Its a real hoot dealing with the CAA. Be preapred to relax in one line after another. I will say that the exam was done very professionaly. You may also have to make an appointment to take the exam after your fees have been paid. They are pretty smart about getting the money first.
Test is only 25 questions, multiple guess, so you have little room for simple errors, best to be prepared and the info above covered it all.
By the way I saw a few faces on my second shot that were also there on my first shot.......More Money for the CAA.
Your next step is finding the Office in Pretoria.......
As to finding Property, if you have anything other than a Boer Accent your in deep doo-doo, unless your rich. Get to know some Pilots etc and get their opinions..(At least they will screw you with a smile) There are some very nice places at reasonable prices, you just have to start thinking in Rand as that is what you will be getting paid. I always say once you visit South Africa, you will return.
My wife will not even let me speak when we go shopping as everytime I do, they think Im some rich american and the price goes through the roof.
Email is good