PDA

View Full Version : Slooww Web Pages

sprocket
2nd Nov 2003, 04:26
Every now and then I come across a web page that takes ages to load on my screen. My computer makes all sorts of noises (as if it is working hard) during the opening of the page.
Once the opening process has started I cannot quit or back out until the page has virtually finished opening.

What is it on those sites that make it a real pain to open up?

Example: This heli news site takes up to two minutes on my puter to open. Rotorhub (http://www.rotorhub.com/)

W98
IE6

sprocket
2nd Nov 2003, 06:22
TCS: I been going to this site for at least 18 months now, at different times etc but it still loads the same.
If I go to it a second time during the same "session" it is much quicker to open up. I suspect it uses a program to run something, but I cannot tell what it is.

I'll try out your suggestion shortly, cheers.

Ausatco
2nd Nov 2003, 06:48
This is odd. IE6, XP Home.

When I click on sprocket's link I get the File Download dialogue. The filename is rotorhub (with no extension), it's From: www.rotorhub.com

It won't load - Windows can't recognise it without an extension.

I saved it but cant find a prog to view it with. It's small - 2k.

When I type the rotorhub URL into the address field it's fine.

(And it loaded quick as a flash.)

What's going on?

AA

Naples Air Center, Inc.
2nd Nov 2003, 10:22
sprocket,

For testing purposes, download and try another browser. See if it makes a difference.

Take Care,

Richard

sprocket
2nd Nov 2003, 12:43
I'm suspecting that the Rotorhub site uses "Flash". Does anyone know how I can confirm?

My 'puter does not have enough space on it to download too much. (2 gb HD with 1.26 mb remaining) I think it is on the limits already for semi sensible operation.

Resetting my browser settings has not changed the performance, only my home page. :hmm: Yup I fergot to uncheck the check :8

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Nov 2003, 01:47
sprocket,

The main page does not use Flash, but it does use JavaScript.

You said your Hard Drive only has 1.26Mb free, you have more problems that just a slow loading website. Windows needs to have space on the Hard Drive to use as a Swap File.

If your computer is running sluggish in general, it might be worth looking into uninstalling old programs that you do not use.

Take Care,

Richard

sprocket
3rd Nov 2003, 03:17
NAC,Inc: Yes, I'm aware that this computer is "full", old and slow. It will be getting replaced in the near future. :(

..... But, just getting back to the slow loading; Can javascript create this symptom on a computer like mine [133 mhz] regardless of HD space?

If so is there anything in my java settings (internet options), that can improve loading speed?

I ask this because there is nothing on the rotorhub site (at least visually) that would cause such a slow load, eg lots of graphics and advertising, popups etc, its just mainly text.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Nov 2003, 04:30
sprocket,

Here is another JavaScript site. See how long it takes to load:

Anand Tech (http://www.anandtech.com)

I just want to see if it is just the one site or if you have problems with other JS Sites.

Take Care,

Richard

PaperTiger
3rd Nov 2003, 07:31
Can javascript create this symptom on a computer like mine [133 mhz] regardless of HD space?

If so is there anything in my java settings (internet options), that can improve loading speed?Yes, I have a slow machine in the den and loading javascript can take a long time. Particularly if it's from files (src=) as opposed to inline. What I do is set it to prompt before running JS. Many sites only use javascript for cosmetics, but on others it is necessary to use links and menus. You soon learn which is which if you have a 'regular' set of places you visit.

Try: Internet Options, then Security, then Custom and scroll down to the Scripting section. Active Scripting defaults to 'enabled' so change it ti 'prompt' and see if that helps.

sprocket
3rd Nov 2003, 15:35
NAC, Inc:

The Rotorhub site opens in two to two and a half minutes, with 'cash n cookies' cleared.

Anan Tech opens from 50 sec to a minute twenty (tried it several times). This site does use up most of my CPU with all its running graphics etc when it has opened (big page too)

In comparison, pprune pages open in about 5 secs.

============================================

PaperTiger: Thanks for that info.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Nov 2003, 21:55
sprocket,

It does sound like the JS Sites slow you down.

If you would clean out the hard drive and do a fresh install of your OS from the CABs, you would get a lot more speed out of your old computer. It would help tide you over till you get your new computer. If you wanted to use the machine for a word processing, some email and a little surfing of the net, you can get away with a 133Mhz machine. (As long as you do not expect to do anything else with it.)

Take Care,

Richard