View Full Version : Annual Leave

Tenminutes
2nd Nov 2003, 01:12
I am UK based. I have had my annual leave approved and have been told by my company that they can cancel it at any time if they need me to work. On the annual leave request form, it says as we are an Air Transport Company, annual leave may be cancelled and reallocated upto 48hrs before the start date . My question is this. Does it make any difference if my company is "an Air Transport Company" and CAN they cancel my leave as they state? I have an overseas holiday booked and paid for and my company states that they would not reimburse me if they cancelled my holiday. Surely this cannot be right, let alone legal? Feedback would be appreciated.:uhoh:

HZ123
2nd Nov 2003, 15:58
Agree. It seems contradictory as 'annual leave' is a contractual agreement. Therefore you must use it or lose it. I am sure that under employment law this though not illegal if challenged not upheld.

Was this fact made clear to you when you joined the company and did you sign your contract to this effect. If not then you have been misled.

I have to add that in our company we too have all sorts of strange rules that they can utilise but I don't recall them ever doing it. Enjoy your holiday.

Smokie
2nd Nov 2003, 18:09
Go see a solicitor, I think you will find that cancelling Annual leave is indeed illegal, as is forcing you to work a day off against your will, not paying you for it or giving you a day off in lieu.

unwiseowl
2nd Nov 2003, 20:08
Which company? At least give us a hint and why should you save their embarresment?

Tenminutes
2nd Nov 2003, 20:38
The company is Irish which narrows it down to a few !! My contract says I'm entitled to xx days annual leave and no mention of them being able to cancel it with 2 days notice. If I've booked and paid for a holiday to the sun, they won't reimburse the cost. I find this outrageous :{

Loftie
7th Nov 2003, 01:45
Ten Minutes, I would suggest you either consult a solicitor, or call in to your local Citizens Advice Bureau. They are very good, and the service is FREE.

Good luck.

Crepello
7th Nov 2003, 02:09
Another option would be to look into travel insurance that pays out in the event of work-related cancellation. I've seen these in The Netherlands though I don't know about blighty.

Your conditions seem morally reprehensible. Cancelling leave at 48hrs notice is a sign of poor management. The risk should be born by the company, not the employee.

My employer (oil company) can cancel leave, or order people home early, but it doesn't happen often and they'll always re-imburse losses and additional costs. Give 'em their due, it's a fair system, e.g. if you get sick on holiday, you can claim back the leave days.

bacardi walla
7th Nov 2003, 14:48
I was once in the same situation. I went to see my lawyer and was told, "if it's in your contract and you've signed it, then they can do what they like - you have agreed to it". Not much help but the upshot is, I didn't agree to it but needed the job. Maybe it's time to review whether or not you want to continue working there !