PDA

View Full Version : License conversion for hour building in USA - Can't find the thread

special_ig
1st Nov 2003, 00:52
I remember reading a very helpful tread on the entire process of converting your JAR license to a license that permits you to fly in the US. Can anyone help me locate the thread or explain the process to me?

Thanks,

special_ig

dorosenco
1st Nov 2003, 01:51
check out www.passion2fly.com link "FAA Conversions".

good luck.
:D

Charlie Zulu
1st Nov 2003, 01:55
Hi Special_ig,

Firstly ensure you have an ICAO licence. A JAA or CAA PPL will be fine for this. An NPPL will not suffice as it doesn't conform to ICAO guidelines.

Then on the FAA website download and fill in the following form:

http://registry.faa.gov/docs/verify61-75.pdf

Important notes to the above form:

Block 4 (Address you want your copy of the verification letter sent to): Use your home address. Or if you're running low on time use the address of the flying school you're renting from (don't forget to ask them to keep it for you).

Block 10: The name and address of the FSDO (Flight Standards District Office) that you will visit to apply for and receive the actual FAA PPL. A list is available on the following address:

http://www2.faa.gov/avr/afs/fsdo/index.cfm

Send the above form to Oklahoma by fax on 001 (405) 954-9922 (this can be verified at http://registry.faa.gov/airmen.asp#verify).

Now with the FAA stuff out of the way, you'll need to fill in a form for our own CAA.

For form you need is SRG1160:

http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/p...ails.asp?id=521

Fill in the above form and send it to the CAA by Fax or snail mail using the number / address provided on the form. Do not forget to include the payment information / cheque for £15!

Once the above is done the following will happen:

a) The FAA will send you a confirmation of receipt that they have received your application. This confirmation will be sent probably same day or next working day to the email address you provided (if any).

b) The FAA will send an a request to the UK CAA for them to confirm your licence is valid etc.

c) The CAA will take the money off you

d) The CAA will then send a confirmation back to the FAA.

e) The FAA will send you an email informing you that the application has been successful.

f) The FAA will send a "Letter of Authenticity" by snail mail to the address provided in the FAA Form Block 4 and the FSDO (Provided in Block 10 of the FAA Form).

All you'll need to do when you arrive in the USA is to give the designated FAA a call to arrange an appointment (normally required since 9/11 for security measures at the offices). Then trundle off down to the FSDO with you CAA/JAA PPL, Medical, Passport, Logbooks, your copy of the verification letter from the FAA and anything else you feel important, fill in an 8710 FAA Form (provided at the FSDO) and they will type out a temporary FAA PPL for you there and then (for no fees whatsoever).

Hey presto you'll have in your hands a temporary FAA PPL issued under FAR 61.75 which means it is based upon the validity of your ICAO PPL (most probably a CAA or JAA PPL). The permanent FAA PPL will be posted to your home address within three months from the FAA in Oklahoma.

Once you have this go and get your BFR signed off and you'll be good to fly N registered aeroplanes for the next two years (then another BFR will be required).

Have a great time in the USA (where are you going?).

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Ninety-Nines
2nd Nov 2003, 02:19
Great post.....I would suggest that you ask the powers that be to put this as a sticky for the many that ask "How?"

special_ig

Although the FAA say this process takes up to 60 days, the students that I am aware of have said it takes from 14-30 days. The hint about sending the letter to the flight school is great if time is short. A recent converter completed the process in 14 days due to this course of action.

It really is a harmless route......better than getting a JAA based on an FAA....then you need to complete a flight test!

Happy flying in the US of A

Nikki

Charlie Zulu
3rd Nov 2003, 03:24
Hi Nikki,

Thanks for the kind words!!!

Moderators,

Would you consider this post to be sticky? Or would you like me to write one out just like Richard did for Visa requirements a while back?

Special_ig,

I'll second exactly what Nikki (Ninety-Nines) says above.

I already had an FAA PPL based on my CAA PPL but in order to have an FAA IR attached to the FAA PPL I had to have the letter of authenticity. Back in June, I sent the two forms off to the relevant authorities and a certain well known flight school in Naples had my letter of authenticity within two weeks! Not bad, eh?

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

chrisbl
22nd Nov 2003, 01:43
For what its worth the turn around of the validation can be fast. I applied faxing copies of my documents on 27th August to the FAA and CAA and the letter from the FAA was dated 3 rd September.

Letter recieved by post 8th September

Is this a record?

Chrisbl

Ninety-Nines
22nd Nov 2003, 07:12
You must be special.....of the 20 or so that I have been aware of in the last couple of months you have the record! It is encouraging to see that the process seems to be realtively straight forward now and therefore less off putting for other pilots.

Have a great time flying in the US and take advantage of the extras that they have to offer.

Nikki

chrisbl
23rd Nov 2003, 22:26
Special or not, I just made sure that I supplied all the information possible.

I thought that I had messed it up when I put the Ft Lauderdale FSDO as the recieving FSDO. After our email correspondance Nikki, I faxed them asking them to switch to Miami, and that did not seem to be a problem.

It was just very pleasing to see that the FAA and the CAA get their act together.

Look forward to flying with you next month

Chris B:O

ngpilot
24th Nov 2003, 09:31
HELLO MY FRIENDS

I HAVE A 737NG TYPE RATE ON AN ICAO ATP ISSUED IN BRAZIL.
HOW COULD I GET A JAA CONVERTION OR COVALIDATION ON IT?

THANKS AND NICE FLITES:ok: