PDA

View Full Version : Boring country towns???

robair
31st Oct 2003, 14:01
Who has worked in a really boring country town in their aviation career?
What did you do for exitement?
(this is a tounge in cheek thread. not intended to offend any country poeple):O
any takers??:p

Boomerang
31st Oct 2003, 14:15
Strangely enough, it really is what you make of it. When I was in Perth, if anyone had told me I would spend over two years in Onslow, and nearly a year in Derby, I probably would have cringed.

Country people tend to be very warm and open, and are very easy to get along with. As a result I had a ball, and looking back, don't regret my time there. Plenty of drinks and BBQ's had. If you have a partner its probably easier, if not, pilots, coppers, teachers, and nurses all seem to be in a pretty similar situation, and often get together in smaller towns.

Mind you, I was also on the coast, allowing me to go swimming, fishing, kitesurfing etc. Don't know how I would have handled Fitzroy Crossing ;)

Oh yeah, joined the local volunteer Fire and Rescue. Highly recommended!

compressor stall
31st Oct 2003, 14:29
Memories from a town of 40, 300kms from the next town include:

the fishing in untouched rivers
sitting in the pub till dawn
flying through remote gorges
sitting under a boab tree watching a saltie on the other side of the river as he watches you
taking inga the swedish barmaid out to boab tree to marvel at the croc eyes in the river and the million star sky
abseiling into caves to discover aboriginal art 50m down
having bats swoop the ball as you serve in tennis
the general pace of life
wallking in the local hills marvelling at all the aboriginal artwork/carvings on the cliffs
rockclimbing on previously unclimbed cliffs
secluded waterholes to take the backpacker barmaids
no speed limits
the rodeos
the nurses
the gymkahna
the teachers
thunderstorms that defy decription
Sunsets. Anyone who's seen a bloodred kimberley sunset knows what I mean.

I could go on but my eyes will become teary and nostalgic.

Basically boring people will have a boring time.
:ok:

the wizard of auz
31st Oct 2003, 16:12
I agree with stallie, Its all what you make of it........ (Except Menzies). I live in a bonza lil town and I reckon most lil towns are bloody bonza, you can keep ya sydney's and bloody Melbournes I reckon.

Kiwi Flyer
31st Oct 2003, 18:24
Exmouth and Varley in WA
Maun in Botswana,
and the crowning glory, 8 months in the central Kalahari flying survey, try Kang for a small town (check the map!)

But as the guys have said above, it's what you make of it!

Good character building stuff!:ok:

Cheers

KF

compressor stall
31st Oct 2003, 18:31
What's wrong with Menzies? Didn't you get the can of Baygon behind the door in the your room at the hotel? :ooh: reckon the roaches would have carried me half way to Wiluna if I hadn;t used it! :suspect:

OzExpat
31st Oct 2003, 21:14
How far to yer closest decent Japanese resty wiz? :p Or is just that yer "between relationships" again? :}

There's lots of small towns and communities all over the place in Oz. Many of them are quite boring to the average tourist. But, those who live in those places know how to have a good time that is anything BUT boring. And, yes, being a single pilot in such a place, one tends to get to know all the single nurses and teachers rather quickly... :E

Boomerang
31st Oct 2003, 21:23
Kiwi Flyer, that survey wouldn't have happened to have been based out of Tsumkwe?

chimbu warrior
1st Nov 2003, 06:05
I've been based in lots of small places, both in Australia and PNG, and I had a great time in all of them.
The only place I couldn't handle was Melbourne; I'd rather be in Gove any day..............

Transition Layer
1st Nov 2003, 06:35
Some of that stuff sounds very familiar Stallie...the bit about the barmaids, teaches and nurses especially!

One thing to keep in mind though - you only remember the good times living in places like that. Thankfully the bad times get pushed aside to some far flung corner of your mind, that's why most of us would do it all again!

TL

Pinky the pilot
1st Nov 2003, 06:54
Did'nt think much of Kerema. (sth coast of PNG, 120NM west of Port Morbid) Lived in the local Catholic mission visitors lodge, no pub, no booze anyway unless you brought your own. At nights the malarial mozzies carried you off and the food was very basic.
The lodge was actually on the condemned list but there was'nt any money to replace it so.....
All good character building stuff and I would'nt have missed it for quids!!!! :ok:

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

troppo
1st Nov 2003, 07:33
hey pinky...yeah Kerema would be character building...only thing that place had going for it was the mudcrabs at the market...mmm chilli crab...and the abundance of buai if you wanted to make some pocket money when passing thru...
NCA used to have a 206 based at the thriving metropolis of menyamya...now that would be the pits :eek:

Kiwi Flyer
2nd Nov 2003, 14:03
No Boomerang, not Tsumkwe, worked out of Kang, Jwaneng, Tsabong, Gaborone, and Maun

KF

druglord
4th Nov 2003, 19:37
Boomerang,
is this a former 310 driver from Perth? if so drop me a line, it's texas tea here.

steamchicken
4th Nov 2003, 19:51
Yaraka, Qld? Fitzroy Xing wasn't that bad, as I recall - I will forever remember the piss-up on one of the communities when somebody's band turned out, played "Come Up And See Me (Make me smile) by Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel. Mind you it was an evening that left scars on my knees - now how did I do that? - and lost me a pair of desert boots. Now how did I do that?

solowflyer
6th Nov 2003, 09:48
Just got back from Colliambelly NSW. Only thing i could find there worth getting excited about was the pub after work. As for all the single nurses and teachers well there was a long cue to get to know any of them. Having said that would I do it again? Yes

RTO 4.5
6th Nov 2003, 13:20
Most Boring: Camooweal on a summers day in January
Most Exciting: CP6 in Nth Cambodia back in the funny season
Most Stagnant place/ where time stands still: Poroma PNG
Most Entertaining: Dinner at the Sportsmans Bar then across to the TopGun........ah memories.....:cool:

Spodman
9th Nov 2003, 12:24
Thouroughly enjoyed my time in Meekatharra WA. Somewhat less so Port Hedland WA.

Most boring? Launceston TAS on a Sunday afternoon when I feel frisky and have a late start on Monday...

helldog
10th Nov 2003, 16:45
Ngukurr. No pub. Hot as hell. No swimming (unless you want to be eaten by a croc, of go in the pool the local kids used as a toilet all day) No women (to speak of)

For fun we;

*Built a spud gun. Then we used it to destroy things, like chairs, I shot off a portion of our washing machine. Car windows are no match for a Lynx deodourant propelled spud. Also used to wake up people by shooting a spud at their door.

*Set fire to large areas of bush.

*Set fire to a caravan.

*Cane toad killing sprees.

*Putting used aerosol cans in fire.

*Rally driving on the back road to the airport.

*Runway time trials in the troopy.

*Watching Imparja TV(not sure on that spelling)

*Camp dog smacking. If they got close enough to the car.

*Setting fire to litres of Avgas.

All good fun.