PDA

View Full Version : Broken kneecap

gdnhalley
31st Oct 2003, 05:37
I have recently broken my patella in a slow speed motorcycle accident, it has been screwed back together again and I am now taking it easy waiting for it to heal.
I am having difficulty finding information about the length of time for recovery sufficient to fly again. (I should have started my first job next monday, so not a good time to break it, but I suppose there is never a good time)
There does not seem to be a "ball park" figure as there is in a normal broken bone, has anyone out there had this problem, and if so how long did it take to get fit enough again.
gdn

PPRuNe Radar
3rd Nov 2003, 03:19
Broke my patella into 4 pieces ... was in plaster for 6 weeks then about 2-3 months of physio to build the strength back up in the atrophied leg.

Think I got my Class 1 back after the plaster came off and the CAA Doctor was happy that things had healed properly.

Of course, it would depend on the exact nature of the job as to whether you were fit enough for a return to work immediately or not after that. If you needed to use your leg for loads (e.g rudders, etc) then it may be prudent to get some strength back first.

Have a word with your CAA Medical Branch.

quidam
13th Nov 2003, 16:01
Hopefully worry not:uhoh:

Shattered my kneecap in May 2002 into a lot more than 4 pieces :( after a high speed motorcycle tumble. (The lorry won!)

Compounded problem by also smashing shin and upsetting a couple of the knee ligaments :{

Was totally open with CAA medical branch :uhoh:

Nearly 10 weeks in plaster and 3 Ops.

Medical reinstated Feb 03 :ok:

Accept this goes against the normal trend but I found the CAA medical people very helpful and absolutely first rate :ok:

Empathise fully :( It was a very worrying few months

Thankfully all ok flying wise.

Best of luck with a speedy recovery

Q

gdnhalley
13th Nov 2003, 19:24
Thanks for the replies Radar and Quidam
Its encouraging to know that others have done the same, and are now flying again.
At first the, guessed at, recovery time seemed to be an age, but in the whole scheme of things it's not long at all.
gdn