View Full Version : Bahrain

gps117
30th Oct 2003, 22:23
hello,

i am having a nightmare with travelling to oz at christmas. Tried using my ID100 on ba - no such luck! So opted for the freebie to BAH then GF full fare to SYD (only £600rtn)

Back onto topic, means i have 24 hours tokill in BAH, and tips on where to go hotels etc. Help wpuld be really aprec

cheers

gav

Redstripe
2nd Nov 2003, 00:42
Diplomat and Holiday Inn are (or have been) both used by Airlines - you may get a decent rate there. Or try the Intercontinental by the Souk.

P.S. Did you know that 'Diplomat' is an anagram of 'mad pilot' ??

BahrainLad
3rd Nov 2003, 04:12
Are you travelling subload on BA to BAH? If so, pick your flights carefully, it's mayhem at Christmas (although it gets quieter....relatively....the nearer the day).

Gulf Hotel's pretty good.

I suppose you could ring GF in the UK and ask if they have any special stopover rates.....just say you're arriving with another carrier.

gps117
3rd Nov 2003, 16:00
cheers for the advice - have my outbound flight confirmed already - flight at the moment had only about 50 people on it , however the return is a different story!

scanscanscan
4th Nov 2003, 02:18
My wife and I plus our two daughters according to my retirement letter from staff travel had earned (by 20 years plus service) a free firm seat in GF economy, (first class if available), on two GF sectors once a year.
We used this retirement perk last week LHR/MCT/LHR.
At check in we were informed we had been downgraded to waitlisted.
The GF station manager explained ...Reservations told you were firm but this was actually only in X class.
X class is a limited number of economy seats made available to all staff.
As as other passengers arrived you were down graded to waitlisted.
The manager also said, Be aware not all station managers down route will provide overnight accommodation if you were firm in X class economy on your return flight and are subsequently bumped off that flight.
So....Maybe a retirement perk ticket could get very expensive indeed.
Prepaids via the internet such as hotel accommodation, car hire, and prepaid tours etc also become very expensive when firm becomes waitlisted and you do not make the flight.
Luckily we got the last four seperate seats in economy and airborne LHR until touchdown LHr was just a perfect holiday and some things never change.
At check in Muscat I was asked if I was still current to operate as they were presently still looking for a Captain.
My wife and kids would like to thank the Captain of Gf 009 Mct/Auh 31 Oct for extending his duty hours to fly this sector and saveing them from any efforts by Dad.