PDA

View Full Version : Old laptop needed......

BRL
30th Oct 2003, 18:34
Hi all. I am after an old laptop if anyone has one knocking about somewhere gathering dust. It is for my 3yr old daughters (pre)school project thingy. Anything will do, will pay postage etc.
Thanks, Brl.

Jinkster
31st Oct 2003, 05:38
Its not for sale but I have bought a Toshiba Satellite 4090XCDT Laptop with internal cdrom drive and floppy. 4GB HD. Works a treat for me with win 98 and office xp. cost me £320.

There are older ones out there - i saw some for £50 - will probably run very little software.

Jinkster

fobotcso
31st Oct 2003, 06:09
I've thrown two away lately; one of them was a superb example of IBM expertise when the battery weighed more than a modern laptop complete. I was sorry to see it go but there has to be a limit to nostalgia. It was a 286 with a 60MB HD.

Your little girl would not have been able to lift it I'm afraid. :D

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
31st Oct 2003, 20:15
BRL,

What does she need to be able to do with it ?

RTFM

Jinkster
31st Oct 2003, 20:30
I was wondering that also - didn't want to be nosey.

Jinkster

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
31st Oct 2003, 20:35
Jinkster

Hehe, :p it's not so much being nosy as trying to decide whether there's any point in my trying to find that old 386 with a CGA monitor in it that I think I've still got somewhere... :ok:

BRL
3rd Nov 2003, 03:23
Hi all. Its simple really. I am going to help at the school with them doing an autumn/winter project thing. You know the kind of thing, where they go off and collect acorns, leaves etc and I wanted to do a presentation with something like powerpoint for them with pictures of things they were to collect and tie in some kind of story using pictures of say hedgehogs, birds etc on the lappy. Only going to take a few kids at a time so wont be a problem gathering around. There is more to it but I was planning on using an old laptop purely for convenience to take to the woods with them, then simply show them on screen rather than having to cart a load of books/paper etc. The school don't have one either so it could come in useful for them too as it would be based there for the kids to mess around with. So, if anyone can help...... :)