PDA

View Full Version : EC 145 crash in France

alpinehelicopter
29th Oct 2003, 21:08
Hello,

does someone know the background of the EC145 crash, 20.7.03, during a rescue mission in the french Pyrenée?

Thank you!

Autorotate
30th Oct 2003, 00:04
From the info I got it seems like he was hovering down in a tight canyon and the noise, or something, dislodged rocks above him and they fell, ending up going through the rotor blades. Needless to say what happened next was inevitable.

:E

PANews
30th Oct 2003, 06:01
I can confirm that scenario from a very reliable source.

It came out as 'hit rocks' but that was a bad translation, it was actually a case of 'rocks hit'.

Fortunately it seems that part of the crew was dropped off with the injured party and missed direct involvement with the accident.

matador
30th Oct 2003, 16:34
Sad to hear that, for a few years ago I lost a friend for the same reason doing the same job in the Spanish side of the Pyrinees working for the Cataluña Fire Dept. Mountain Rescue Service. They also had stones falling into the main rotor of a BO 105 after dropping some of the rescuers that saw the hole thing from near by.:ugh:
I strongly support the developing of a Helicopter Rescue association so we could share experiences and learn from each other. I think we deserve it and need it.
Buen vuelo and condolences to the families