PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: 3 kids for rotorcraft experiments

Dave_Jackson
29th Oct 2003, 05:22
The Teetering Rotor was developed many moons ago for the military. This concept was eventually spun-off (figuratively speaking) into the commercial market, and thereby the teeter-totter came about. It was an obvious evolution since, the helicopter pilot adjusts his right hand to overcome any dissymmetry of lift, and the teeter-totterer adjust his ass to overcome any dissymmetry of weight.

It is now is the time to spin-off the Tri-teetering Offset Rotor (http://www.unicopter.com/1181.html) into the commercial market. http://www.unicopter.com/7up.gif But first, some test flying is required before the commercial product can be put into field use (actually; playing field use). Perhaps our own test pilots, Nick, Shawn and Rich still have some 'kid' left in them.

Picture of the Tri-teeter-totter;
http://www.unicopter.com/Temporary/teeter-totter.gif
The three planks are independently hinged from a central hub, so that they can teeter up and down. Each plank has a rigidly attached post at its root end, which sticks up about a foot. A cable goes from the top of each post to a central connector, which ties the three cables together. The three planks are thereby inter-linked in respect to their teetering.

Phase II will consist of mounting the tri-teeter-totter's hub on a bearing, which will allow it to rotate around the ground post. This way the craft will go round & round as it goes up & down.

Unlike the helicopter and its 'tip path plane', the path of the passengers on the tri-teeter-totter will be referred to as the 'butt path plane'. If male passengers need to be additionally excited, they could turn and face outwards. In this situation, the path of the passengers would revert to being called the 'tip path plane'.

Those test pilots who participate in phase I will get a free brunch. Those who participate in both phases will get a free lunch.
Who ever said that there was "no such thing as a free lunch" in rotorcraft development? ;)

Vfrpilotpb
29th Oct 2003, 15:52
Good morning Dave,

I have a truck full of offsprings, I am sure three would love to go to Canada, especially at this time of the year, please send tickets to me asap, their mother will be happy to have a little break, you can keep them for a few weeks or even months if you wish, they are rather hungry about six times a day, drink a lot of anything and require driving here and there, but I am sure you will all get on, let me know when you want them!:ok: :ok:

Lu Zuckerman
29th Oct 2003, 20:45
To: Dave (must have a lot of time on his hands) Jackson

Phase II will consist of mounting the tri-teeter-totter's hub on a bearing, which will allow it to rotate around the ground post. This way the craft will go round & round as it goes up & down.

You talk a great deal about rigid rotors. You can greatly simplify your design by eliminating the hinges and mount the (Tri Totter) on a constant velocity joint. This will allow rotation while at the same time permit the (Pilots) to provide the nutating force in order to generate gyroscopic precession.

It will be necessary to provide a high friction surface for the pilots' seats in order to minimize the effects of centrifugal force. The best high friction source could be Velcro ™ and this would in effect provide centripetal force, which would cancel out the centrifugal force.

A propulsion force mounted on the ground (A fourth kid) could generate the rotating force however this rotation would make it difficult for the pilots to provide the nutating force (feet against the ground) due to the generating of excessive friction and the possibility of spraining an ankle.

A rudimentary control system must be incorporated and I will give this some thought unless someone else can come up with the design. I have to get ready to take my wife to Wal Mart so I can’t do any more design this morning. I look forward to other ideas from the great thinkers on this forum.

:E

Dave_Jackson
30th Oct 2003, 01:32
Vfrpilotpb,

I have a truck full of offsprings. Are you a devote Catholic or a sloppy Protestant? http://www.unicopter.com/smile.gif ;)

To: Lu (who too must have a lot of time on his hands) Zuckerman

Your excellent ideas have caused further thought. Adding a Robinson conning/flapping hinge was considered. It was then rejected, because it might result in ground incursion. :ouch:

Lu Zuckerman
30th Oct 2003, 03:08
To: Dave (who hails from a beautiful part of Canada when it is not flooding) Jackson.

The use of a Robinson head would work as any downward force exerted by one of the pilots would bottom out the lever arm) (pilots’ seat) on the spindle tusk causing the entire assembly to pivot on the teeter hinge driving the opposite pilot upward. If the opposite pilot pushes upward prior to the assembly pivoting on the teeter hinge he will experience zero G., which in this case is not dangerous. And, it could be fun until his spindle tusk bottoms out and then he is jarred back to reality when his butt hits the seat.

Although this could be made to work there is a problem in that the pilots’ seats must be offset by 18-degrees. Plus, you could only have two pilots.

Look into this possibility.

:E :E