PDA

View Full Version : Malawi Questions for Skytops

Kiwi Flyer
28th Oct 2003, 21:03
Hi there skytops,

Have been asked to do a charter to Mzuzu, what can you tell me about the place?

Customs? Fuel? Airstrip Conditions? Accomodation for Pilot? etc

Cheers

KF

Rhodie
28th Oct 2003, 23:22
Greetings K-F

Not Skytop, but maybe I can help with some info...

Mzuzu has a good surface tar strip, has had everything from Islanders', Caravans to a Herc in there.

If there are any Sefofane boys there with you, some should know the place quite well.

Fuel MAY be a problem - it is tankered up from Lilongwe, but is generally available - it is best, however, to check beforehand unless you need a break on the plateau....

Customs are on the field - should be on hand if on a flight plan, otherwise just notify ahead.

Accomodation - the best bet is the Mzuzu Hotel. There are quite a few places around, but the hotel is sort of a set standard..(?)
You will need a taxi from the field to the hotel - this can be arranged via the hotel, or they will probably see you come in and head for the field anyway - best to arrange up front tho'.

Try to get a wad of Malawi Kwatcha beforehand - you will get royally :mad:ed if you change US$ in a taxi or at the field. The hotel is somewhere between US$50 and US$100 per night - depending on who's at the front desk :confused:

Other than that - generally a "better" place in Africa, compared to some.... :E

Enjoy

R

nopoal
29th Oct 2003, 00:09
Hi Kiwi Flyer and Rhodie!!!

How is it going? Hope fine. Well, just a brief question. How is the pilot´s market in Malawi. Is it possible to find vacancies for pilots with not too much experience?
Thanks guys.

Clear to land :cool:

Kiwi Flyer
29th Oct 2003, 14:07
Thanks Rhodie, all I need to know!

Should be a good charter, something different.

KF

Rhodie
29th Oct 2003, 14:42
Pleasure KF, glad to help...

Greetings Nopoal

Not sure if you have done any flying in Africa, but it is maybe a bit different from Spain..!

You dont give much detail, but low time is not really that much of a problem if you are qualified and rated - you will need a local licence validation and definately need a com. licence to fly charters.

The most common types are C210, C206 and C208's in the charter business and most operators will require at least 50 to 100 hrs on type (minimum), with the odd twins in use on the established and busier routes.

Unfortunately - no-one will hire "sight unseen" - unless you know someone already here who will vouch for you. The only advise I can offer if you want to fly here, is to first go on the web and search on the various companies (a search on 'Sefofane' gives 101 sites of info), establish contact and go from there...

The other option - is come over for a visit and show your face at the various companies - sometimes the person and the character are just as important as the qualifications... it's a small group of people you work with, all of whom have paid school fees and worked hard to get where they are and who sometimes do the job for the pleasure as opposed to pay...!

The job is ultimately what you make it - some have the best times of their lives and never want to leave, others last a week...!!

If anything, come over for a visit and have a look... :ok:

Cheers
R

Kiwi Flyer
29th Oct 2003, 15:34
Oh Rhodie, one more question for you. You havn't got Co-ords handy for Mzuzu have you?

I thought Sefofane cesed operations in Malawi quite a while back, once Russell left?

Cheers

KF

Rhodie
29th Oct 2003, 22:11
K-F

Sorry about the delay - I will post the co-ords for you first thing in the a.m.

I'm doing the office thing today and my flight bag is at home..

Cheers

R

nopoal
30th Oct 2003, 00:28
Hi there,

My present situation among single and not seeking :D is pilot with 200 hrs and no type in any airplane. Things become difficult eh?? Well, but at home I´m not going to increase my flying experience so I´ll have to go somewhere outside spain cause here find a job with my experience is impossible if you don´t have an airline, and it is not my case.
So now I´m looking a country in Africa to go and fly. Sounds easy but it isn´t due to the unsafier of some countries. Malawis sounds great and could be an option. The problem is that maybe I´m not an option for Malawis´airlines. What do you think guys??
Any comment extra??

Thanks Rhodie for your e-mail

Flaps 15º :cool:

Rhodie
30th Oct 2003, 16:34
Greetings K-F

Detail as promised:

Co-ords: S11 26'52 (S11 27')
E034 00'51 (E034 01')

Runway length: 4291'

Elevation: 1735'

Take care and enjoy...

:ok:

skytops
31st Oct 2003, 14:13
Kiwiflyer,

Just a quick reseponse now as I'm sitting in the Mzuzu tower and gotta run...

Mzuzu = FWUU, should be in your GPS database. Elevation just over 4000 ft. Uncontrolled, but there's a guy in the tower.

We have our own fuel bowser here, we truck it up from Lilongwe. We can sell you fuel, otherwise you won't get any here.

You can clear customs here, but you gotta arrannge in advance.

Give me a call 01 330 180.

...Skytops.

Kiwi Flyer
31st Oct 2003, 18:04
Thanks Rhodie and Skytops, very helpful!!!:ok:

Skytops, I'll give you a call closer to the time.

Cheers

Kf