PDA

View Full Version : RAAF Butterworth

ExcessData
28th Oct 2003, 14:17
Hi all

Excuse my ignorance, but does the RAAF still have a role at Butterworth (Malaysia)? Or is it now solely an RMAF base?

Any info appreciated.

ED

albert the first
28th Oct 2003, 14:21
Yeah there are still aussies at Butterworth and even a couple of Brits

tsnake
28th Oct 2003, 17:16
Regular deployments by the P3 brigade although becoming few and far between in recent times while the Gulf beckoned.
The Hornet bunch occasionally visit for fun and games with the Malaysian Hornets and MIG29s.

ftrplt
28th Oct 2003, 17:22
Its been RMAF Butterworth for quite a few years now, was there in 2000 and it was a run down shothole.

RAAF figther deployments mainly to Kuantan now, some F111's to Butterworth for the bigger IADS exercises.

ExcessData
29th Oct 2003, 06:40
Thanks for your help, guys!

ED

BATS
30th Oct 2003, 02:51
Just been to Buterworth on 2 recent visits - any specific info required ?

B

ExcessData
30th Oct 2003, 05:13
Hi BATS

Other than the P3 deployments, do we (Oz) have any permanent guys there? If so, in what sort of roles? And roughly how many are there?

Sorry for the myriad of questions - I'm researching it for a presentation I'm supposed to give, but unfortunately most of the people I've spoken to about it are unsure as to its use post 1988.

Thanks in advance!

ED

BATS
5th Nov 2003, 05:23
Sorry about the delay in response. There don't appear to be any permanent Aussie ac in situ - well apart from the Mirage gateguard outside the Wing HQ. The P3s come in from time to time for exercises and I understand that the F111s appear occasionally, but there does not appear to be any permanent aircraft presence. There is quite a large ground contingent in 294 or 394 Wg HQ permanently on the base and there are some substantial facilities. My read on the Aussie presence is that Butterworth would be used as a forward operating base and the staff is merely there to keep the flag flying.

The best POC for accurate and up to date info is probably the ADC to Cdr IADS (An Aussie 2*) or the Wing staff who will be able to tell you all you need to know. I'm a Pom so my information is probably not much use to you, but I tried........

pr00ne
6th Nov 2003, 03:09
Bats,

...or whoever, any Brits at Butterworth or anywhere else with IADS.
Fond memories of something called FEAF.......................

Pass-A-Frozo
6th Nov 2003, 14:05
was there in 2000 and it was a run down shothole

I was there a few months ago, and had the pleasure of staying on-base.. The rooms have been refurbished .. (they put bars on the windows).. :rolleyes:

There's a few Air movements people there.. they even went to the trouble of painting C130 on the taxi line. Only trouble is they painted the C backwards so it was changed and now says D130 :}

PAF

farefield
7th Nov 2003, 22:17
The senior Brit there is a Wg Cdr who works in the IADS dept.The incumbent prior to the present guy Was Mick the Fish.
There are at least half a dozen other Brits of varying ranks,most of whom live in very nice apartments in Penang.If you know anyone over there it's well worth a visit if you can get yourself invited for a holiday.