PDA

View Full Version : Win XP User Account Confusion

Eboy
28th Oct 2003, 09:10
I ran Win 2K for years as the "Administrator" and never worried about User Accounts. They say it is more secure to do routine work as a user with lesser rights. That makes sense. Anyway, when I upgraded to Win XP I thought this would be a good time to discipline myself. I have one account with Administrator rights, and another with Limited rights, and I am going bananas.

Some software, such as Office, installed as Administrator is available as a Limited user. Others, such as an ISP dial-up program, is not, and I had to install it separately under both the Adminstrator and Limited accounts, to access it under both. That makes no sense.

Also, I imported my Outlook files under my Limited account, and I would like to access them with my Adminstrator account, but my Administrator account does not see my Limited outlook.pst file.

Is there a simple way to make certain programs installed available to all?

Moreover, is there some more general guidance for me, the sole-user of my computer?

I have done a lot of research online, in Help, and in books, and they all explain the accounts. But, I can't put it together in a coherent plan.

Thank you for considering my questions.

ORAC
28th Oct 2003, 13:49
See here (http://www.dslreports.com/faq/4184).