PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre badly focusing left eye

tom775257
27th Oct 2003, 22:46
Hello,
My left eye has a strange attribute: When I close my right eye and try and read something with my left eye it looks blurred for a few seconds, and then much like a magic eye poster comes into sharp focus a few seconds later. My right eye appears to always be able to focus immediately, if I close my left eye everything is in focus.
I passed my class 1 medical eye exam today, when I asked the doctor about it he said something about a dominant eye, and that my eyes are fine. He seemed very busy so I didn’t push the matter. Could anyone explain what causes this, or whether it suggests future problems?
Many thanks,
Tom.

redsnail
28th Oct 2003, 22:40
It's no biggy.
Some if not all people's eyes have this to varying degrees. Usually one eye is more "dominant", ie that's the image the brain uses to focus things with and the like. The other eye provides the stereo image. It's easy to pick which eye is dominant. Hold your hand out far and point to something in front of you. Close each eye in turn and see which eye your finger is lined up with, that's your dominant eye.
If you shoot a rifle or bow the dominant eye will be the one you use to focus on the target.
It becomes an issue if you are cross eyed as well because the "weaker" eye's image can be "ignored" by the brain and the optic nerve can whither.
Note, your "weaker" eye can have better vision than your dominant eye.

I have a right eye dominance and am cross eyed. I wear specs and hold a class 1 medical. Have done so for years. Don't worry about it.

openfly
28th Oct 2003, 22:50
Hi...blurred vision is often associated with the onset and progression of diabetes. Hope for your sake it isn't.

BoeingMEL
28th Oct 2003, 22:54
Accept what the Doc said and move on!! I had this symptom in Feb 97..and was promptly admitted to hospital for scans and tests..... 5 days later was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.... but I'm sure that's not the case with you. Good luck and move on!! bm

tom775257
29th Oct 2003, 00:12
Well thanks for the comments.

Redsnail: Thanks, that is interesting. I am not cross-eyed so hopefully that will not be an issue.

openfly: The vision is only blurred for a short period with my left eye only. I guess diabetes would have been picked up at the class 1 urine test.

BoeingMEL: Sorry to hear that you have MS. I hope all is going well. Yes it is time to move on, ATPL theory time!

redsnail
29th Oct 2003, 15:01
Boeing MEL, I have read your posts regarding your condition. Dunno what to say. :(

Tom, the doctor would have told you if you were cross eyed.