PDA

View Full Version : JAA test officers in Australia?

headwind
27th Oct 2003, 14:53
Are there any JAA test officers in Australia/Sydney region that would be able to help me keep my JAR-FCL PPL(A) licence valid? I am moving to SYD mid-December and my current JAR-FCL licence expires 05/2005 (plenty of time...)

The same applies to medicals, any JAA-approved Docs out there?

cheers
Headwind

redsnail
28th Oct 2003, 06:57
JAA approved Dr's yes. There's one in Australia Square, Sydney. He does CASA and FAA medicals too.

Inspectors? As far as I know, there's none.

Farknel
29th Oct 2003, 18:39
The Poms (UK CAA) used to have an inspector based in Brunei and there may also be one in Malaysia (but that area may be covered by Brunei).

I have no idea if this situation still exists today.

Fark.

:zzz: :zzz:

Boomerang
29th Oct 2003, 19:03
Just to add to Farknells' post, I believe there are also JAR officers in Europe. Thats gotta be about as usefull as Malaysia and Brunei ;)

Otherwise I'm very sorry, I have no idea if there are any in Australia/Sydney.

Feather #3
30th Oct 2003, 03:33
You may find that the Colleges at Tamworth and Parafield have JAA test officers who can perhaps test 'outside' their schools.

As a cynical comment, the JAR setup is so 'restraint of trade' that I'd bet they're only allowed to test school students.

G'day ;)

headwind
31st Oct 2003, 02:53
Appreciate your replies! Thanks! Might as well do the full Aussie licence and let my JAR licence expire then if I stay back in Australia for a long time (permanently?) and if it's virtually impossible to do it in Australia. No sense really to travel overseas for a JAA test flight... It just feels bad even to think of letting it expire because of all the money poured in keeping it current :-C Well it should not be too difficult to get it back again if I keep on flying on my Aussie licence and keep myself current.

cheers
Headwind

redsnail
31st Oct 2003, 04:56
Take a wander around the CASA website http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/fcl_lic/index.htm (
Recognition of foreign licences. It should answer a few of your questions. I believe that the PPL licences are comparatively easy to convert back to JAA ones. Check with your authorities.
Take some time to look at the CASA site. There's some good info there.
Enjoy.

QSK?
31st Oct 2003, 13:55
Headwind:

Further to Feather #3's advice, I believe that the flying colleges at Tamworth and Parafield do have ATOs approved for JAA operations. It might be worth checking up on some of the other (smaller) aviation colleges in both Oz and NZ that also undertake international pilot training.

Also talk to CASA flight crew licensing.

Random Electron
1st Nov 2003, 17:07
Have a look here:-

http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp?groupid=192

Click on the second link down, ie,:-

"Standards Document 31, Version 39, Organisations conducting CAA and JAR-FCL Approved Courses of Flight and Ground Training"

I could not spot any Australian schools with JAA approval, plenty of American, a few South African, and a few European though.

However, this is just a list of schools approved by the UK CAA, other JAA member states may have their own licenced schools though.

Good luck.

DeltaT
5th Nov 2003, 11:25
I can say with certainty that the NZ outfit doing the training has no JAA staff, they merely try to prepare them for the tests back in UK, and even then I thinks its only up to PPL level
As opposed to the full on flight school in Auz, that was doing the full hog