PDA

View Full Version : Intavia/ African International

Donald Dunbar
27th Oct 2003, 08:42
Question to all you old junk drivers out there:

Is AIA a good company to work for, and would it be a good thing to get a DC-8 rating in order to work for them. Second, who's Blackcat, and why is he so dangerous? I would love to drive some old junk, but is it worth it with them people?

Thanks,

Don

Pontius' Pilot
27th Oct 2003, 11:28
Donald D

I could try and obtain some info about African International. They are doing a contract for us at the moment. Just need some time to get in contact with them, as can be expected they come and go at irregular times.

Is Blackcat one of their pilots? I can ask about that as well if you want.

No guarantees that I will be able to get hold of them but I will try.

JJflyer
27th Oct 2003, 14:32
Yip...

A friend of mine I just spoke had looked into getting a DC8 rating. Cost for the full type rating is between 20000 to 23000 USD and the FAA pt61 SIC training around 10000 USD.
A bit steep for an old bird.

Apparently there is only one company in US that still provides DC8 training for individuals in US of A.
Forget rest of the world as there are no Sims available for individuals.

JJ

ferrydude
27th Oct 2003, 16:22
What?? A Full FAA DC-8 type rating is available for less than 7000USD, Miami Fl or Dayton Ohio

JJflyer
27th Oct 2003, 17:09
Dear Ferrydude

DC8 training is not available for that price in Miami or Dayton. Prices my friend where quoted came from Aeroservice. So you might find that you have been slightly misinformed.

JJ

helldog
28th Oct 2003, 19:28
Hi Lads,

Yeah I hang out with the boys once a week when they are in Mwanza. Havent seen them for a while since I was on leave and have een in Dar for some time.

Blackcat is one of the flight engineers. Dont know the reason for the name. Good bloke though as are the rest of the boys. They can put away a beer or two, let me tell you.

I believe they do their sim in the UK. I was told the type rating is more like 5000 pounds. They do want a DC8 rating, but as usuall there are exceptions to the rule.

Their aircraft seem to be in good shape inside and out. I have been keeping my ear to the ground regarding jobs there. But seems to be no movement for now. The work they do is awesome though.

Hope that helps.:ok:

JJflyer
28th Oct 2003, 20:28
Yip MK airlines owns ex SAS DC8 simulator. They offer it to some companies, but not to individuals.

Should individual be able to go through AIA and participate in their training course is a different matter and cost may well be around 5000 pounds. What I said in my previous post regarding priceing stands should one want to obtain a full DC8 training in the US.

JJ

Donald Dunbar
29th Oct 2003, 18:24
Thanks guys. Checked up on the prices also, and found full FAA type rating will be 9000USD at Aeroservice. Still no idea who this blackcat is, but guess he's harmless, as he's a F/E, and not the owner.

Thanks,

Don

JJflyer
29th Oct 2003, 21:12
Once ad for all... I asked my friend to send me the quote he received for FAA DC8 type rating. It is as follows.

23500 USD

80 hour groundschool in Miami
CPT in Dayton
15 hours SIM in Dayton with both F/O and F/E support from Aeroservice. This includes tickets, hotels etc for support and examiner.

If one was to provide own support price was to be 19500 USD.

Price for FAR part 61 SIC training was just under 9000 and could be completed in level A simulators that they operate in Miami. This included support. FAA does not issue type ratings for SIC so one would not get DC8 on their licence.

Hope this clarifies the pricing on the training provided.
If one can get the training for 9000 USD... Well good on ya:8

Donald Dunbar
3rd Nov 2003, 20:05
Dear Flyer kid,

I have the paper right here in front of me, a quote from Aeroservice Miami, for a DC8 type rating, 80 hours ground, 10 CPT, 15 hours of sim in Dayton. Total cost 9500. Signed, Capt Gamundi.

Now, if your friend has a quote of 23500, I would call that a rip off, or maybe his reading isn't all that great. Anyhow, this is what it's costing, and it's still way too much for an old machine.

I had some info from friends of mine about African, and they told me that all of those guys there, are potential tripple heart bypass cases. If one wanted to get in, he better get himself a spare liver also. Nice outfit to work for? Yes. Healthy? No. Guess I'm cured now. Good luck to anybody else joining them.

Don

bluesafrica
3rd Nov 2003, 22:25
Sounds like a deal that you can't say no! Just take it....so much cheaper than anything else... But what you do with such rating?
Blues:E

helldog
4th Nov 2003, 19:21
ALL potential tripple bypass cases? Sounds like your friend has the wrong info. They have a few young guys and most of the older fellows seem to be in fair shape.